South-Doyle = A case study of a crap high school program

KingNick865

THE #1 COLLEGE DIFFENCE
I realize that more than likely gives a diddly poo about a public school in Knoxville who has less than a .500 record since being merged in 1991, but this is mainly for my venting.

First, the reason I'm outraged, our inability to compete.

2008 (4-6)
Loss to Knoxville West(17-9), because of crappy clock management.
Giving up 54 to freaking Clinton.
Getting doubled up by Powell(25-52)
Getting beat by 2 TD's to the worst team in Knoxville Central team in history
Getting blanked by Halls

2007 (4-6)
Losing to 3A Seymour by 3. This game would be notable , because we lost our senior QB to a broken arm for the season.
Having a 34-7 halftime lead over Clinton, only to blow it and lose 37-42
Getting smacked by Powell
Losing to Halls

2006 (3-7)
What moron schedules Maryville for our first game of the year?
Got blanked by Carter
Got blanked by Knox West
Got blanked by Sevier County and their 5th year seinors
Finally put some points on the board and beat Clinton 27-7.
Won another game, but lost the last 2 or 3

2005 (2-8)
Got the smackdown laid on us by Carter(44-7)
Got the smackdown laid on us by West(45-16)
Shutout by Sevier County(0-44)
Gave up 70 to Halls
Got beat by Lenoir City of all teams
Just not a good year

And, the last 5 years

2004 (1-9)
2003 (0-10)
2002 (4-6)
2001 (6-5)
2000 (2-8)
------------------------------------
Now, here's what I think are the problems, and then, some solutions.

- Youth Program Retention Rate
South Knoxville has probably the best football talent in all of the city, problem is, nobody wants to play it for more than 1 year.

Solution - Have the HS head coach attend the youth games, and have him at some of the practices. It would really help the younguns if they had something to strive for

- Head Coaching
Really. Hutchins had 1 good year at McMinn Central, and South-Doyle thinks he's good enough to run our program.
Solution - Well, he's off to Morristown West to be the d-coordinator, so we're good. I'll give you a list of candidates that could replace him.

- All Our Good Players Transfer

Our South Knox players don't perceive SDHS as a place to where they can go to a D-1 school, so they go to HS's such as Fulton, Alcoa, Maryville, Austin-East, etc. Sad really, South-Doyle would have a good program if our players stayed at South-Doyle
Solution - Well, this actually could go back to the coaching problem. But, what you need to do is to tell these players that they can advance and progress as a player here at South-Doyle.

- Fans
Ok, I admit, South-Doyle fans are a different breed. We are kind of like Virginia Tech in terms of our fanbase; act like that we deserve to be named alongside West, Central and Halls. We don't. We're more critical of the coaches than other schools in Knoxville, and a bad season or two could get you on SD's fans bad side real quick. In all fairness though, we're a frustrated fanbase, nothing really to cheer for in the last 10-15 years here on the South Side.

Solution - Gotta be patient with our next coach, and support him 100%.

-------------
Now, that I've identified our problems with coaching, here's some of my candidates to consider.

Clark Duncan - Yes, he hasn't coached a game since 1992, but he's still gotten to a state title game with Powell, and should deserve strong consideration. Also has the most power of the candidates mentioned, since he's South-Doyle's AD.

Sean Knapp - South-Doyle's defensive coordinator. Played for him, and I think he'd bring a toughness to South-Doyle as the head coach.

Stanton Stevens - Yes, Oak Ridge's former coach might have ran Oak Ridge into the ground, but his track record at Austin-East shows that the man can coach.

Rush Propst - Work with me here. Ok, the man is currently with a bad team in Colquitt County in Georgia. Problem is, he's in one of the toughest regions to play in in the country. Now, in 2009, South-Doyle will be playing the likes of Cherokee, Seymour, and Cocke County. Don't you think a program in the same position, with a much easier schedule, would be more appealing? I do. Plus, to see South-Doyle become a national power would be fun to see.

Kelly Holcombe - Yes, that Kelly Holcombe. From what I've heard, the man is interested into getting into coaching HS football.

Kevin Dyson - Yes, that Kevin Dyson. There were rumors about him wanting to become the new coach at Blackman. South-Doyle ain't Blackman, but it's a head coaching job.

--------------------------

thats really interesting. when i get online i type in volnation.com, not whogivesacrapaboutsouthdoylefootball.com

why is this on here?

South Doyle was our homecoming game back in '89 (my freshman year at Copper Basin High School) If I remember correctly I think we beat them by 2 td's.

thats really interesting. when i get online i type in volnation.com, not whogivesacrapaboutsouthdoylefootball.com

why is this on here?

Maybe because this is the HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS section. I may not be a smart man....but that was one heck of a hint to why it was on here.

South Doyle was our homecoming game back in '89 (my freshman year at Copper Basin High School) If I remember correctly I think we beat them by 2 td's.
It must have been just Doyle back in 89 cause S-Y and Doyle did not merge til fall of 91.As far as feeling bad about S-D only winning only 13 games in 4 years try winning 6 games in 4 years as we did at S-Y 85-88.

Then your team either played South-Young, or Doyle High School. Either way, both weren't very good back then. No, I correct that, South-Young, from what I hear, had a pretty good team in the late 80's-early 90's.

I enjoyed reading it. It was in the correct forum.

Thank you.

It must have been just Doyle back in 89 cause S-Y and Doyle did not merge til fall of 91.As far as feeling bad about S-D only winning only 13 games in 4 years try winning 6 games in 4 years as we did at S-Y 85-88.

Have we ever been good at football? Ever.

You don't want Propst, and you aren't going to get Propst. Also, where did you hear Colquitt was a bad program? They would beat S-D 10/10 times. If you want a coach like Propst, why don't you just buy the Tony Franklin system like he did and coach yourself

You don't want Propst, and you aren't going to get Propst. Also, where did you hear Colquitt was a bad program? They would beat S-D 10/10 times. If you want a coach like Propst, why don't you just buy the Tony Franklin system like he did and coach yourself

I know we're not gonna get Propst. It's a hypothetical. And yes, I know CCHS has a somewhat good program. It's really gone down the s**ter this decade, however. They have a state title in the 90's

And actually, football coaching is the job I'm going to do when I get out of college, and South-Doyle would be my dream job. However, I'm not a Tony Franklin guy. I generally, have a preference for the Single Wing, Flexbone/Double-Wing, and the Wing T offenses.

I know we're not gonna get Propst. It's a hypothetical. And yes, I know CCHS has a somewhat good program. It's really gone down the s**ter this decade, however. They have a state title in the 90's

And actually, football coaching is the job I'm going to do when I get out of college, and South-Doyle would be my dream job. However, I'm not a Tony Franklin guy. I generally, have a preference for the Single Wing, Flexbone/Double-Wing, and the Wing T offenses.

Love the Wing T, that's what my alma mater ran. Shoot you want to learn from the best go down to GA TECH and take some notes.

Also, I'm not either. I love the fact that Propst came down there last year and said no one in S. GA would be able to stop his high powered offense, then proceeded to get drilled throughout the season. That man is a bad person, plain and simple.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to say that GT uses the Wing T, just that they run a triple option based offense similar to the wing t.

Last edited:
Love the Wing T, that's what my alma mater ran. Shoot you want to learn from the best go down to GA TECH and take some notes.

Also, I'm not either. I love the fact that Propst came down there last year and said no one in S. GA would be able to stop his high powered offense, then proceeded to get drilled throughout the season. That man is a bad person, plain and simple.

You talkin bout Paul Johnson? Man knows how to do things, that's for sure.

Ehh, Propst is a s***y person, but a good football coach. There's a big tradeoff there. Plus, he's actually gotten a long list of things he wants, that are quite frankly, outrageous, like.

- New weight room(puts you out about, lets say, $25,000)

- Coaches absolved of classroom duties(is this even legal in Georgia? Plus, I'm actually looking forward to teaching along with coaching, because I wanna make a difference in some kid's life, not just be a football coach)

- Other things(It's in a USA Today article) that are crazy. He already makes $95,000 a year, and wants all of that.

To be fair, his DVD on how to build a championship program was pretty good.

i went to doyle high school in 87,88 we had a qb named brandon gourley he was decent then i moved to jefferson co for my jr and sr year but i dont remember doyle ever bein good. kippy bayless was the big thing in knoxville high school football at that time dont know where he ended up.

Around 10 years ago there was an opening for a head coaching Job there. I took a visit to South-Doyle to see the facilities.
<o:p> </o:p>
I was amazed at- how small the weight facilities were, and how things were just laying around the field. It did not seem like things were taken care of.

Last edited:
Around 10 years ago there was an opening for a head coaching Job there. I took a visit to South-Doyle to see the facilities.
<o:p> </o:p>
I was amazed at- how small the weight facilities were, and how things were just laying around the field. It did not seem like things were taken care of.

South-Doyle has never really been serious about anything but the two sports we're any good at, wrestling and baseball. Other than that, I'm not one bit surprised to hear that.

I appologize, it was South Young. I think they were called the trojans. Can't keep the Knoxville area school straight. We also lost to Knox Webb in the first round of the playoffs 14-13 or 13-12, can't remember which just know we lost by one point after being rank in the top 5 at the beginning of the season.

James Choo-Choo Parker.. Hey, what happen to him? Did he go on to play in college. He was a great RB for South-Young High back in 89,90,91 and South-Doyle first year in 1992. He was all-state in football.:dunno::dunno:

James Choo-Choo Parker.. Hey, what happen to him? Did he go on to play in college. He was a great RB for South-Young High back in 89,90,91 and South-Doyle first year in 1992. He was all-state in football.:dunno::dunno:

We had an all-state? In football?

Just kidding, and welcome to the boards. It's always nice to have another Kees fan on here

E: The only thing I could find on him was his Classmates profile

http://www.classmates.com/directory/public/memberprofile/list.htm?regId=8696091876

Last edited:

VN Store

Back