Alcoa coach Gary Rankin best high school coach in the state IMO

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
He is winning state championships at Alcoa and he won several at Riverdale as well.

if i were you, i would lock my doors and make sure my windows were shut.

That honor would have to go to Rod Wilks with Rod Wilks also coming in a close second. No one else is even close.

He's certainly one of the best but has undoubtably benefited from coaching at two of the most talented schools in the state.

i played football for him my freshman and sophmore year when he was at riverdale he is a great coach and one hell of a nice guy...all of us at riverdale were thinkin it wasn't so much him but his staff but now the he is doin it at alcoa he is really impressing me..congrats to him and alcoa

I think Quarrels and Rankin are the 2 best.

My vote for best would be GQ...

Alcoa's talent level is just so far beyond what they play against....that along with good coaching makes what they have. These guys still haven't beat Maryville in a long time

Quarrels' teams play totally a team game, which I think comes totally from coaching.

I think Quarrels and Rankin are the 2 best.

My vote for best would be GQ...

Alcoa's talent level is just so far beyond what they play against....that along with good coaching makes what they have. These guys still haven't beat Maryville in a long time

Quarrels' teams play totally a team game, which I think comes totally from coaching.

Maryville recruits.

Maryville does not really "recruit". Does stuff go on that shouldn't? Maybe. I am sure lots of us from the area can tell a story or two of something they know or have heard of happening.

At this point Maryville does not have to recruit. Parents will send their kid their so they can get a better education than the county school and so, if they play sports, can play at Maryville.

When I was in middle school in the late 80s, I had a friend that went to another high school in the county. He was pulled off to the side at a local swimming pool and talked to by the head coach of that school. The coach would talk to him about playing football for him....and he did.

Blount County schools may have open enrollment but the only ways you can attend Maryville is to live in the city or pay a tuition.

Yes...and right now, it is hard to get in as a tuition student. That may change once they add on to the school

Let them come to GA and play Buford, Lowndes, Lagrange. Hell anyone from region 1 down south in all classifications. BTW how does yalls classifications go? In GA it goes from A to AAAAA. What is D1 D2?

Oh and we hear the same thing about Buford every single year, and I didn't even go there. Buford recruits, it's not fair. blah blah blah It gets old quick, too much jealousy. Winning brings in talent, nuff said.

Last edited:
Basically TN has 3 classes (A, AA, AAA), but for the football playoffs, they are split into six (A: 1A & 2A; AA: 3A & 4A; AAA: 5A & 6A).

D1 and D2 are for private schools that allow students who receive financial aid to play sports. Private schools like Lipscomb and Knoxville Catholic, for example, are private schools yet play on the public side. The downside for those schools is that TSSAA uses a very unfair (IMO) multiplier for privates in the public league, 1.7. Catholic has like 600 kids yet will be grouped with public schools with enrollments ranging from 1500-2000. The high multiplier (again, IMO) is a consequence of Brentwood Academy's long standing issues with TSSAA. BA is a small private school that recruits Nashville so hard they are practically a Junior College. They previously competed in the highest class (before the public/private split) and won state every year in football. TSSAA took exception to all of this and split them up. They are going to make it an uphill battle for any private school that wants to compete in the public league, even if those schools don't allow student athletes getting assistance to play athletics.

You can downplay it off all you want, but if its recruiting, its recruiting. There's no reason a public school should be allowed to have a handful of players who don't even live in the county to (supposedly) pay a tuition and play in the public league under the current rules.

I don't know a whole lot about TN HS football, but I know that in Ohio we have the same "recruiting" issues with the private catholic schools. Public schools have tried to combat the unfair advantage by having open enrollment but most of the time it is little help.
I know that in Ohio wrestling, there are 3 classes (D1, D2, D3) with D1 being the biggest. Each division has a catholic school that has at least a 10 year state championship streak. I wrestled a kid from the catholic school in my division (D3) and he was a senior who happened to move to that school for his senior year after winning a state title in Nebraska. (Ohio is a wrestling meca for college recruiters). This team sent 13 kids to the state tourney and there is 14 weight classes, the problem is that thier total attendace at the school was under 100 (all 4 grades).
It works the same for football. Kinda pathetic for grown men and women to put together a system like this for teenage kids to compete in.

VN Store

Back