TSSAA New 2009 Classifications

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
From what I've been told the new classifications were finalized today for 2009.

Maryville moved from 4A to 6A.
Alcoa moved from 2A to 3A.
Fulton moved from 3A to 4A.
Farragut moved from 5A to 6A.

Seems to be that most schools moved up one classification. With the exception of Maryville who was moving up to 5A before the reclassification anyway.

<table id="pubTab" style="table-layout: fixed; width: 491px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr id="rh-305"><td style="width: 278px; height: 18px;" cv="Knoxville Catholic High School" class="PcD nW nW" id="cell-0-305">Knoxville Catholic High School</td> <td style="width: 77px; height: 18px;" cv="624" class="PcD tar nW nW" id="cell-1-305">624</td> <td style="width: 68px; height: 18px;" cv="1123" class="PcD tar nW nW" id="cell-2-305">1123</td> <td style="width: 68px; height: 18px;" cv="5A" class="PcD tac nW nW" id="cell-3-305">5A</td></tr></tbody></table>

wait, so we're moving from 3A to 5A next year?

Wow, Catholic has about half the kids that those other schools have... It will make for some interesting games though, because I have felt the last couple years that they can beat most 5A schools.

There's one more division now apparently? All the 5A schools moved to 6A and some of the 4A to 6A with those 5A schools. The ones I noticed were Rhea County and Maryville. Looks like Maryville's streak will end next year when they get to play the big boys every week of the playoffs instead of just 1 tough game.

I thought Ooltewah was supposed to drop 1 classification because of the new school opening next year? ... they should have anywhere from 1350-1600 students I would guess (down from around 1950). But Maryville is around 1500 so I guess they would stay according to these new classifications?

Last edited:
never in a million years, when i went to Catholic, did think we could ever play with 3A schools. this was when we were 1A before the split my Junior year.

heck, we lost to Trousdale County my sophomore year 84-0 and were ecstatic we made it to the second round.

it's AMAZING what a coaching and facility upgrade has done over there. i always felt like we could hold our own over the big schools in everything but football and basketball. glad to see we caught up with them in these sports too.

Have the regions been revamped as well?

Because of worries over travel costs, they're grouping teams from different classifications together in regions, keeping the school sizes close. For example, Maryville (6A) could play in the same region as Powell (5A). Not sure how they will determine playoff teams with that format, though.

Because of worries over travel costs, they're grouping teams from different classifications together in regions, keeping the school sizes close. For example, Maryville (6A) could play in the same region as Powell (5A). Not sure how they will determine playoff teams with that format, though.

this doesn't make any sense.

this doesn't make any sense.

Yes, its confusing. I think basically teams won't play for seeding, they'll maybe be seeded by TSSAA based on their play in their respective regions.(?)

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Classification only one of subjects TSSAA talking about

The ultimate decision is more than a month away but the new top football region could be a reunion of ancient rivals.

The Chattanooga Class AAA district, which will be split into 5A and 6A for the postseason, could have as many as nine teams including Bradley Central, Central, Cleveland, McMinn County, Ooltewah, Walker Valley, Soddy-Daisy, Rhea County and Red Bank.
Central and Red Bank are on the bubble and each might wind up in AA (3A and 4A for playoffs. The early student population numbers on Red Bank are 990 and Central 1,080.

Bradley, Ooltewah and Soddy-Daisy are definite 6A teams and McMinn County could be, according to Bradley Central athletic director, who was among those attending a TSSAA region meeting last week at McMinn County.

There are three classes in the regular season. 6 in the playoffs. In some districts there might only be 3 teams in your playoff classification.

There's one more division now apparently? All the 5A schools moved to 6A and some of the 4A to 6A with those 5A schools. The ones I noticed were Rhea County and Maryville. Looks like Maryville's streak will end next year when they get to play the big boys every week of the playoffs instead of just 1 tough game.

I thought Ooltewah was supposed to drop 1 classification because of the new school opening next year? ... they should have anywhere from 1350-1600 students I would guess (down from around 1950). But Maryville is around 1500 so I guess they would stay according to these new classifications?

IF both make it to the championship game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Henry County possibly knock off Maryville.

Btw, in response to M-East being the smallest 6A school - Henry County also holds that distinction. The were one student away from being in 5A.

announced yesterday. somebody find a link to the new regions in E. Tennessee.

Catholic will have:

Bearden
Farragut
William Blount
Maryville
Heritage
West
Lenior City

and they will be in the 5A playoffs. a 600 student school against the big dogs of Knox and Blount County?

talk about effing brutal.

Meanwhile AC has to play Clinton, Campbell County, Hardin Valley, Karns, Oak Ridge, and Powell. That should be a fairly easy path.

Maryville will lose next year because it will probably be the worst team they have fielded since Quarles has been there. This year's junior class was a laughing stock in football when I went there. I don't think that any high school teams in Tennessee would have beaten Maryville in 2006 and 2007...the run may end this year against Henry County though.

You want to see something strange... Look at Dyer County. They're in West TN. They moved up from 3A to 5A, and the closest 5A/6A school to them is over an hour away. Surely they're going to do something to make up for all the travel DC will have to do. PLUS, they're only like 30 kids too much for 4A, where their old region (teams 15, 20 and 30 mins away) is still pretty much intact. Talk about a team getting screwed...

my alma mater, Daniel Boone is going to get waxed annually by Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett and most likely Tennessee High and Sullivan South. Interesting that Dobyns Bennett and Sullivan South will now be squaring off. No excuses from either team anymore.

VN Store

Back