5A

Oak Ridge, Farragut, Bearden, and William Blount are the good ones out east. Dobyns-Bennett are having a down year by their standards but could surprise I guess.

Oak Ridge won't go very far and neither will Bearden.. I expect one of em to lose the first round friday and my guess would be Bearden because they drew Ooltewah who is probably the best #4 seed in the state who has a really, really young but probably some of the fastest/athletic players in the state.

I think WB and Farragut have a chance at it all - but I think Farragut has the edge over WB because of Sterling the beast..

Ooltewah's three losses this season have been to three Knoxville area teams: William Blount, Oak Ridge, and Farragut. Eight of Ooltewah's 10 losses since 2004 have come vs Knoxville area teams. Harvard recruit Dawson Halliday and the Bulldogs will carry on the tradition and beat the Owls.

I'm taking WB over Farragut because they have an excellent coach, good running game, and fantastic defense, and will play at home if what we both think will happen does.

What's up with that Sterling, are there grade issues there or what? The KNS said he ran a 4.45 at a camp, so there obviously has to be something there for him not to be getting offers from at least some mid-majors or lesser BCS teams.

Riverdale is the team to beat. I think Smyrna can repeat providied Vandy pitcher signee Gray (SHS qb) and UT signee Rod Wilks step up. They both did last year. Wilks can control an entire game when he is on, no joke.

So what if Ooltewah's losses comes to Knoxville teams?

The only good teams in the region are the Knoxville teams and Ooltewah.... who else would beat them? Most of the region is from Knoxville. I mean who isn't.. there's Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, McMinn, Bradley.. drawing a loss.. basically half of the division is Knoxville area so I don't see how that stat is very relevant.

I'm taking Ooltewah in this game - watch out for Benny Monroe and his play calling this week.. he knows he has a young team and will pull a lot out of that old playbook of his. And yes Sterling has horrible academics.

Lincoln County plays Cookville next week.Watched Lincoln County beat Lebanon tonight. Go Falcons.

Bearden 35
Ooltewah 0

You're underrating this Bearden defense Bassman.

Dobyns-Bennett 21
Oak Ridge 14

But you did say either them or Oak Ridge would lose.

I don't think I was underrating their defense - although it is pretty awesome and may take them pretty far...

..but Ooltewah's offense just didn't perform and their QB is horrible, their O-line is just too small imo. Ooltewah gave up and the distractions (Ridgeland incidents + arrests) were just too much to overcome. O's O-line isn't that great this year but no team can hold their star RB Brian Marshall to only what 10 yards? - Unless the team just isn't with it. Flat out just gave up. I think it was the same performance as they had in the WB game earlier.

I do give credit to Bearden though - I figured they were the weakest #1 seed in the playoffs... they could still be, but I doubt it. They obviously do have an awesome defense. Benny Monroe, as much of a genius I think he is, didn't make adjustments. He has the most talent in east Tennessee on his team right now. The problem is they are all freshman and sophomores and a few juniors. They didn't mature like he thought they would when he started them over seniors this year.

I figured they would both lose.. but Oak Ridge wasn't impressive when they played Ooltewah (showed that one on TV). They lucked out and everything went their way. OR needs some changes.. they aren't the same type of team they once were anymore.

I don't think I was underrating their defense - although it is pretty awesome and may take them pretty far...

..but Ooltewah's offense just didn't perform and their QB is horrible, their O-line is just too small imo. Ooltewah gave up and the distractions (Ridgeland incidents + arrests) were just too much to overcome. O's O-line isn't that great this year but no team can hold their star RB Brian Marshall to only what 10 yards? - Unless the team just isn't with it. Flat out just gave up. I think it was the same performance as they had in the WB game earlier.

I do give credit to Bearden though - I figured they were the weakest #1 seed in the playoffs... they could still be, but I doubt it. They obviously do have an awesome defense. Benny Monroe, as much of a genius I think he is, didn't make adjustments. He has the most talent in east Tennessee on his team right now. The problem is they are all freshman and sophomores and a few juniors. They didn't mature like he thought they would when he started them over seniors this year.

I figured they would both lose.. but Oak Ridge wasn't impressive when they played Ooltewah (showed that one on TV). They lucked out and everything went their way. OR needs some changes.. they aren't the same type of team they once were anymore.

Ooltewah did have some talent and I thought they were a program on the rise. Sounds like things are a bit out of whack down there. Bearden is a solid team. I think they have the most talnet in the state this year. However, they lack the experience in the playoffs and seemed a bit shocked at Smyrna. That game was Bearden's to lose, and they did not show up that night although there was a good effort towards the end. Bearden could have won that game if they were not so "Star Struck" being in Middile TN playing against the defending champs.

VN Store

Back