Grundy County fires Scott Smith...!

CagleMtnVol

Grundy County has fired Head Football Coach Scott Smith after only 6 months on the job and only 29 days until the Yellow Jackets host East Hickman to kickoff the 2018 season.

Apparently he wasn't keeping the field mowed or put neighboring rivals back on the schedule for 2019-2022? :popcorn:

Last edited:
Always hated games with Grundy County: Usually at least two or three cars would get stolen or broken into.

Auto theft ring was notorious back in the early 80's.

Reactions: 2 people
The way to solve the mowing the grass problem....

Our head football coach was also the Driver's Ed teacher at our local high school. Part of the "driving" associated with this course was mowing the football field and the practice field.

This happened at a school in West TN that historically has had a good program (not under this guy's watch though).

It's Official!

Less than 48 hours after the firing of Head Coach Scott Smith, Grundy Co. has hired Winchester native and former University of Tennessee Vol and Detroit Lions Linebacker Tracy Hayworth as Head Coach of the Yellow Jacket Football Program.

The 50 year old Hayworth is graduate of nearby Franklin Co.

I have so many questions about this hire.

I could be wrong about this but from what have gathered online reading tweets and other message boards.

From what I gather he has never been an Assistant Coach let alone a HC before?

I don't think he has a teaching license so how much time will he have with his players outside the field house & practice field?

I'm just curious about a non-private school hiring a football coach only. Something we don't see often or at all here in Tennessee.

I could be wrong about this but from what have gathered online reading tweets and other message boards.

I don't think he has a teaching license so how much time will he have with his players outside the field house & practice field?

I'm just curious about a non-private school hiring a football coach only. Something we don't see often or at all here in Tennessee.
Hayworth was an assistant at The University of the South and has some high school assistant experience.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

There are non-teaching (or school employee) coaches in sports all over Tennessee (public schools). It's becoming more and more common.

I'm surprised by the hire. They could have gone down to the Grundy County Auction. I've seen stuff there that you'd think you just have to have. The athletic director should consider proceeding with caution, but their mind will often just go ahead and make a bid on that. So, they'll say hey pretty lady won't you give me a sign, they'd do anything to make you mine all mine. They'll find someone that will do their bidding and be at their beck and call.

Maybe he owns a lawn mowing company?

More Grundy Co. drama!

Just months after playing in the State Tournament. Grundy County's Head Baseball Coach Chase Jones has resigned as both Teacher & Head Coach.

I mentioned earlier about the new football coach not having a teacher's license. This may or not be so but I was told last night that just the HS has around 15 teaching spots that has yet to be filled and I think school starts next week.

Last edited:
More Grundy Co. drama!

Just months after playing in the State Tournament. Grundy County's Head Baseball Coach Chase Jones has resigned as both Teacher & Head Coach.

I mentioned earlier about the new football coach not having a teacher's license. This may or not be so but I was told last night that just the HS has around 15 teaching spots that has yet to be filled and I think school starts next week.

Former Grundy Co. Head Baseball Coach Chase Jones has taken a job at Sequatchie Co. and will also be an Assistant Coach in both Football and Baseball.

VN Store

Back