TSSAA really dumped on Smyrna this season, pitiful

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
They answer to no one.They took away some of their key rivalry games and stuck them playing in Nashville. What an injustice.

Reactions: 1 person
Honest question...are Smyrna's rivals the Murfreesboro schools?

Yes. They would be. Smyrna is the 3rd oldest high school in Rutherford County after Riverdale and Oakland.

The TSSAA board has undue influence in my opinion on how districts are constructed when schools are added. My son's old district now extends from the KY line south about 100 miles and the new district has his team traveling an hour or more to every district game except our 2 in county rivals while there are 3 in the old district that are 30 minutes or less away. This to accommodate a team with a TSSAA board of control member that don't want to get thumped by some of the the schools in their area.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes. They would be. Smyrna is the 3rd oldest high school in Rutherford County after Riverdale and Oakland.

The TSSAA board has undue influence in my opinion on how districts are constructed when schools are added. My son's old district now extends from the KY line south about 100 miles and the new district has his team traveling an hour or more to every district game except our 2 in county rivals while there are 3 in the old district that are 30 minutes or less away. This to accommodate a team with a TSSAA board of control member that don't want to get thumped by some of the the schools in their area.

Thank you. :good!:

The school I used to go to is pretty bad now as well. 3 of the 8 teams are over 2 hours away. I feel bad for some of the other schools in their district though. One only has 3 games under 115 miles away. They have to drive 2 hours 4 weeks in a row.

Smyrna is turning into the ghetto since it's one of the few places the dislocated denizens of east and north Nashville can afford to live in the wake of gentrification. Those folks want to see matchups with their old hood rivals.

Same to Jackson County too. But, all the close schools we used to play as district/region games are still 1A, while we are 2A. We get to still play the others as non-region. Out of our 10 games, we play 4 local 1A teams non-region. One 3A/4A local non-region. Our 5 region games are Cascade, East Robertson, Westmoreland, Trousdale, and Watertown. Not as bad as some others posted, but Cascade and East Roberton are a haul from Gainesboro. Playoffs are rough. Last 3 years we had to go to Marion County, Chattanooga Tyner, and Meigs. All a good hour and a half.

Not sure where you are getting the 3rd oldest HS number but it’s inaccurate. Regardless. I agree it’s bs.

Smyrna would be the oldest high school in Rutherford County, being established in 1911. Central High School was the oldest high school in Murfreesboro (est. in 1928) until 1972, when Oakland and Riverdale were built. Oakland and Riverdale were Smyrna's biggest rivals for many years, before LaVergne was built in 1987.

TSSAA zoning changes, which were implemented in 2017, moved the 3 northern-most schools in Rutherford County (Smyrna, Sterwarts Creek, and LaVergne) to a district with 4 of the southern-most schools in Davidson County (Antioch, Cane Ridge, McGavock, and Overton). Smyrna still plays Blackman and Siegel, from Murfreesboro.

Reactions: Remy

They do it to everybody. Jackson county (Gainesboro) is about 15-20 miles NW of Cookeville and due south of Celina. We travel to East Robertson and Cascade. Cascade is an especially long road trip from up here. They also set our schedule horribly. We have to play home and away games in blocks. We will open up 1 game home or away. The next 3 will be opposite the opener. Then 4 consecutive opposite that, and close with 2 opposite of the prior 4. So, this year we opened 1 on the road, 3 at home, 4 away, and 2 home. On the flip year next year, we will do 1 home, 3 away, 4 home, and 2 away.

Smyrna is one is at least 20 years older than both Riverdale and Oakland

They do it to everybody. Jackson county (Gainesboro) is about 15-20 miles NW of Cookeville and due south of Celina. We travel to East Robertson and Cascade. Cascade is an especially long road trip from up here. They also set our schedule horribly. We have to play home and away games in blocks. We will open up 1 game home or away. The next 3 will be opposite the opener. Then 4 consecutive opposite that, and close with 2 opposite of the prior 4. So, this year we opened 1 on the road, 3 at home, 4 away, and 2 home. On the flip year next year, we will do 1 home, 3 away, 4 home, and 2 away.

off topic, do you have a kid that plays basketball for the blue devils?

No. If he tried to play basketball, I'd request he give up sports. Mine is a sophomore. Plays Baseball and Football.
Gotcha. I live in Pickett County. Didn’t know if I’d see your son play ball or not

Gotcha. I live in Pickett County. Didn’t know if I’d see your son play ball or not

Been there several times already. Middle School Baseball, middle School Football, And last year for HS baseball. they did some really nice improvements to the baseball field. hopefully they're not done.

VN Store

Back