Walker Valley and Bradley Forfeited game because of Pitch Count

JacketVol

Go Vols!
WV won 3-1 last night over Bradley but the big part of the story is the coach at WV allowed his starter to pitch the entire game and throw 138 pitches. TSSAA has a new rule that a pitcher can't throw over 120 pitches or else it is suppose to be a forfeit. Today, it was ruled as a forfeit.

I can't believe with everything out there a high school coach would do this. Guy has always been considered a good guy but in my opinion, no excuse for this. We got to get this kind of arm abuse out of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have a love hate relationship with this new rule. My son pitches for a small 1A school. I like how they are trying to protect kids arms. On the other hand it creates a little bit of a problem to due lack of depth in that position when we play 4 sometimes 6 games a week.

I have a love hate relationship with this new rule. My son pitches for a small 1A school. I like how they are trying to protect kids arms. On the other hand it creates a little bit of a problem to due lack of depth in that position when we play 4 sometimes 6 games a week.

I understand how that would be hard on a smaller school but stats show great harm to kids throwing too many maxed velocity pitches. Dr James Andrews and MLB say 105 max for 15-18 year olds and then four days rest. Tommy John too common for young players. Most professionals are not popping off 120 plus per start.

It's an issue. I saw it in high school ball with my son. Plus, these kids play basically all year these days, between the season, summer ball, and fall ball. I think it's a big problem, and most coaches at the high school level and lower aren't educated enough to deal with the issues.

Actually, it even extends into college. I heard an MLB guy -- it might have been Garth Iorg, but I can't recall. -- Anyway, he was talking about how they have to deal with these worn out arms coming out of college. Some places limit these guys to fastball/changeup only for a while just to try to heal up their arms.

Reactions: 1 person
About to piss some folks off but are our bodies weaker than the players in the old days. How were they able to pitch 19 inning games and then pitch the next day.

About to piss some folks off but are our bodies weaker than the players in the old days. How were they able to pitch 19 inning games and then pitch the next day.

They didn't throw cutters and as many sliders either. Curve was the toughest thing. Some were also lucky and throwing programs were different BUT they only played games during baseball season as kids. As Freak mentioned, travel ball( which in some cases is just a big money maker for a coach) and fall ball on YOUNG not fully develop arms with growth plates are a big issue.

Kids don't play max velocity off the mound baseball for a few months and then take time off and rest. They literally pitch year round. That is the biggest change and biggest problem. Also, if a kid saids his elbow hurts , stupid coaches say tough it out and keep throwing because we need to win. Them research on baseball reference back in the day.

Great pitchers who all of a sudden lost it then we're out of baseball. Tons of them and Tommy John would've been one but we know that story that started saving careers.

Exceptions to every rule such as the Nolan Ryan's and Fergie Jenkins. But, before you can piss people off with ignorance, it is understood that you probably have not researched it. I have seen middle school kids throw 145 pitches and then they break a freaking elbow on their next start and never pitch again. Overuse and travel ball is hurting and also burning out kids. So soccer continues to grow.

Reactions: 2 people
The Standard Banner (Jefferson County) says that Ooltewah had to forfeit their 5-2 win over Jefferson County for a pitch count violation as well but I can't find anything else to back that up.

I can understand the point of the pitch count and wanting to decrease future injuries. but this will ruin MANY small programs who just don't have many kids playing ball in the first place. you will have to start putting kids on the mound who have no business there in the first place when you have so many games in a week.

VN Store

Back