TSSAA releases classes for 2017-21

I had not really looked at the list since the private schools were placed in their division, but it is laughable that the Division II, Class AAA has only 9 football teams. To win the "state championship", you only have to be better than the other 8 teams. When I played at a private high school, that number of teams would have been your District.

Reactions: 1 person
Elizabethton stays in 3A in football! As long as they have good players they''ll keep winning the conference.👍👍

Just found out that Elizabethton is moving up to 4A in football for 2017-2021. Tougher competition. We used to play these teams back from 1962-1966 that were bigger than us: Kingsport, Greenville, Morristown, Science Hill, Bristol, Oak Ridge. If they find themselves not competitive then they'll move back in 2022 to 3A.
I heard this was a possibility when I was in
Elizabethton for homecoming against Claiborne County who they beat 63-6!

I had not really looked at the list since the private schools were placed in their division, but it is laughable that the Division II, Class AAA has only 9 football teams. To win the "state championship", you only have to be better than the other 8 teams. When I played at a private high school, that number of teams would have been your District.

Suppose there will be only 6 teams play other district teams, not all 8. Would be surprised if they did. Normally only 6-7 teams are in a district. Suppose they'll play 3-4 teams outside the district. Would like to see the schedule.

Suppose there will be only 6 teams play other district teams, not all 8. Would be surprised if they did. Normally only 6-7 teams are in a district. Suppose they'll play 3-4 teams outside the district. Would like to see the schedule.

not only out of the district but they will be able to play out of the division. They currently do that.

2017 schedules won't be released for a good while. Especially with the re-classification for 2017-2021. School with have to scramble to find opponents since they changed it again.

The last time this happened schools were going crazy trying to find opponents. Might even be worse this time because so many schools have changed classification.

Last edited:
Just found out that Elizabethton is moving up to 4A in football for 2017-2021. Tougher competition. We used to play these teams back from 1962-1966 that were bigger than us: Kingsport, Greenville, Morristown, Science Hill, Bristol, Oak Ridge. If they find themselves not competitive then they'll move back in 2022 to 3A.
I heard this was a possibility when I was in
Elizabethton for homecoming against Claiborne County who they beat 63-6!

The link given says they stayed at 3A. Did TSSAA make another mistake? They did this the last time they re-classified. Had schools in the wrong classification & had to spend two days to fix it.

Guess we'll see at the end of the year what changes are made. Elizabethton probably already knows what teams to shedule: Greeneville, Sullivan East, Sullivan South, Sullivan Central (these games are in close proximity for travel). They could also add Grainger (Greeneville plays them). That would be 5 games. Keep the following Bristol (5A), Science Hill (6A), Daniel Boone (5A) and Unicoi Co (Erwin-3A)-that's 9 games. Add Volunteer (5A, Greeneville plays them).

I would think that Brentwood Academy and Ensworth would move up to AAA to make 11 in that class, and the regions would be just like they are now with the 7 Middle and East teams in one region and the 4 West teams in the other.

The link given says they stayed at 3A. Did TSSAA make another mistake? They did this the last time they re-classified. Had schools in the wrong classification & had to spend two days to fix it.

The list on the TSSAA website is the schools placed in class by the number of students. Schools have until Tuesday to decide if they want to move up in class the official classification should be released next Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.

The list on the TSSAA website is the schools placed in class by the number of students. Schools have until Tuesday to decide if they want to move up in class the official classification should be released next Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.

Thanks for the explanation. When they re-classify it's always a mess. Remember what happened about 3 years back with the reclassification?

It caused a major problem for school finding opponents. One team but I can't remember who it caused them to only play 9 games that year because they couldn't find anybody to play.

The TSSAA released the list of schools who decided to move up in classification.

North Greene- Football- 2A to 3A

Elizabethton- Football- 3A to 4A
Memphis East- Football 2A to 4A
White House-Heritage- Football- 3A to 4A

Carter- Football- 4A to 5A
Fulton- Football- 4A to 5A
Gibbs- Football- 4A to 5A
Kirby- Football- 4A to 5A
Seymour- Football- 4A to 5A

Brentwood Academy- DII- Football- AA to AAA
Ensworth- DII- Football- AA to AAA

Memphis East- Basketball, Baseball, Softball- A to AAA

STEM Prep Academy- Soccer- A to AA

The TSSAA released the list of schools who decided to move up in classification.

Thanks buddy for posting this information. :good!:

When will new schedules be released?

I posted it back earlier. It will be a good while. Teams are scrambling right now finding opponents for this new classification so that will delay the final schedule even longer. It probably won't be until spring or later. Somewhere in the April-June range more than likely.

The new regions will be determined sometime around November 17. Schools are already in discussions with potential non-region opponents, and the schedules for 2017/2018 will likely start coming together soon afterwards, most likely shortly after the Blue Cross Bowl games the first weekend of December. Those non-region opponents can't be firmed up until the regions set their dates for region play. Then the non region dates/opponents can be firmed up.

Most schools should have their schedules firmed up by early January.

The new regions will be determined sometime around November 17. Schools are already in discussions with potential non-region opponents, and the schedules for 2017/2018 will likely start coming together soon afterwards, most likely shortly after the Blue Cross Bowl games the first weekend of December. Those non-region opponents can't be firmed up until the regions set their dates for region play. Then the non region dates/opponents can be firmed up.

Most schools should have their schedules firmed up by early January.

I'm not trying to start an argument but last season some teams didn't have their full schedules turned into the TSSAA until March of 2016 for this season. Now with the change in classifications it's going to be even a more delay for schools if you ask me.

I don't know what the TSSAA has set for the deadline to get schedules turned in but last years it was as late as March for some schools.

I would say April or May for 2017 would be what they would allow since there's so many teams changed classifications & therefore looking for opponents. I remember a few years ago one of Volunteers opponents changed classes & backed out playing Volunteer & they(Volunteer) had a heck of a time finding an opponent.

They ended up having to grab a team from Southwest Virginia in Clintwood to play. I'll see what I can find out for sure though. Thanks!

I'm not trying to start an argument but last season some teams didn't have their full schedules turned into the TSSAA until March of 2016 for this season. Now with the change in classifications it's going to be even a more delay for schools if you ask me.

I don't know what the TSSAA has set for the deadline to get schedules turned in but last years it was as late as March for some schools.

I would say April or May for 2017 would be what they would allow since there's so many teams changed classifications & therefore looking for opponents. I remember a few years ago one of Volunteers opponents changed classes & backed out playing Volunteer & they(Volunteer) had a heck of a time finding an opponent.

They ended up having to grab a team from Southwest Virginia in Clintwood to play. I'll see what I can find out for sure though. Thanks!

Well, from what I have seen you would argue with a stump, but I regress. :)

Not many schools will be going in to the spring still setting their schedules. A few maybe, but a large majority will have their schedules set by late January at the latest. The important date will be the region meetings to set the dates for region play, and that should be well before Christmas break - probably the wek after the Blue Cross Bowl in most cases. Once that is done the non-region opponents/dates can be firmed up.

Well, from what I have seen you would argue with a stump, but I regress. :)

Not many schools will be going in to the spring still setting their schedules. A few maybe, but a large majority will have their schedules set by late January at the latest. The important date will be the region meetings to set the dates for region play, and that should be well before Christmas break - probably the wek after the Blue Cross Bowl in most cases. Once that is done the non-region opponents/dates can be firmed up.

Why are you trying to argue with me? The bold above. What I did say it was a few teams wouldn't have their opponents set until late spring & not all.

Yet, you post back like you're trying to disagree or make a fuss with me? Is this the case or not? I said what I said & you basically repeated it about getting opponents scheduled. Why? :wink2:

Why are you trying to argue with me? The bold above. What I did say it was a few teams wouldn't have their opponents set until late spring & not all.

Yet, you post back like you're trying to disagree or make a fuss with me? Is this the case or not? I said what I said & you basically repeated it about getting opponents scheduled. Why? :wink2:

Read your own words in post 16.

Bottom line: A large, large majority of coaches/ADs have a really good idea of who they are going to schedule in non-region play already. It's simply a matter of the regions being finalized and dates set for region games first, and that's going to be out soon and not up in to the spring.

If you want to take that as arguing, then so be it. But you obviously missed the big smilie I posted.

Read your own words in post 16.

Bottom line: A large, large majority of coaches/ADs have a really good idea of who they are going to schedule in non-region play already. It's simply a matter of the regions being finalized and dates set for region games first, and that's going to be out soon and not up in to the spring.

If you want to take that as arguing, then so be it. But you obviously missed the big smilie I posted.

Sorry, not arguing. This is just a discussion between us. I was just going by past TSSAA shenanigans & causing problems for teams with this re-classification thing. Nice discussion to have by the way. No an argument at all between us. Sorry for using the wrong word buddy. :good!:

I am guessing that this list is just for schools who decided to move up because their enrollment would have dictated a lower classification. I know that Catholic moved from 4A to 5A, also, but I guess they had to because of enrollment.

I am guessing that this list is just for schools who decided to move up because their enrollment would have dictated a lower classification. I know that Catholic moved from 4A to 5A, also, but I guess they had to because of enrollment.

Yes, that was just the schools who chose to move up in class on their own it doesn't include those who moved up due to enrollment numbers.

Should be interesting for the Cyclones-Elizabethton. They've been fairly dominant in their conference the past few years. They'll be playing Greeneville again like the used to back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Will still keep Science Hill on the schedule-always a tough opponent. Beating them is just like UT beating the Gators.👍👍

VN Store

Back