high school sports question

franklinboy

lb for lb who is the best high school sports (male athlete) that ya'll have ever seen come from this state?

lb for lb who is the best high school sports (male athlete) that ya'll have ever seen come from this state?

Are you asking for a player that we've personally seen play or not? Well, if seen played it would have to be Tee Higgins for me. Saw him play last year against Dobyns-Bennett.

Next in line would be Mike Faulkerson(90's) who was a fullback that played at DB & then went on to play football at UNC. Played pros for a couple of years as well but mainly special teams.

Reactions: 1 person
Best I've ever seen in person was Jalen Hurd. Kid was simply unstoppable his Junior year. No other way to describe it. Best I ever played against in high school was Travis Stephens out of Clarksville Northeast. Best of all time? Who knows. Reggie White? Al Wilson? Patrick Willis? Doug Atkins? Todd Helton? Penny Hardaway? There have been several great ones who were not only great in HS, but went on to do great things afterwards.

i don't know if anybody on here has ever heard of him but i gotta go with Greg Flye from my hometown of Franklin..I've never seen anybody do at his size what Greg Flye could do on a football field or basketball court

East Ridge HS Chattanooga. I played with a guy named Doug Parhem class of 73. He played free safety, wide receiver, punted and kicked off. I think he had 17 pics his senior year. Also played point guard, in baseball pitched caught and played shortstop. Also ran track. He went to ETSU and played football. Only like 6 ft 175 or so but amazing athlete. Best I ever saw. Best HS football player I ever saw was Owen Daniels. QB in high school then tight end at Wisconsin and many years in the NFL. Played with Peyton this past season.

Played against Little Man my sophomore year at DB. He was a beast. He carried our entire defense for about 15 to 20 yards on one play. That was the only time I was thankful that I played end, guard, and tackle. Faulkerson came back to DB one day while he was in the pros and he looked huge.

Reactions: 2 people
Are you asking for a player that we've personally seen play or not? Well, if seen played it would have to be Tee Higgins for me. Saw him play last year against Dobyns-Bennett.

Next in line would be Mike Faulkerson(90's) who was a fullback that played at DB & then went on to play football at UNC. Played pros for a couple of years as well but mainly special teams.

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. Of the two I mentioned above, I think without a doubt Tee Higgins was the more skilled & athletic of the players.

Faulkerson was a fullback but he was not only pretty big but he was fast. He got into the open field & just like many RB's/HB's you wasn't going to catch him.

Tee made plays in last years game against DB in so many ways. He caught screen passes. He got end around runs. He was the punt & kick return man. He even took a couple of direct snaps.

He caught passes in the mid-range & long-range passing game. He did it all for Oak Ridge. DB had them beat but Tee was too much to handle. He beat DB himself. One play on a pass he broke about 4-5 tackles & took it to the house. He was amazing to watch.

That's why I want Tee so bad in Knoxville. He can bring so many skills that other WR's/players can't bring. He didn't even get a bit tired in that game last year either against DB. That tells me he's in amazing shape. There's no doubt in my mind that Tee Higgins could play for ANY D1 college that he wants to play at.

He isn't a 5* product for nothing. We need to have him in a UT uniform though. That's where his roots are all at. I don't see how he could go play anywhere else especially for another color of orange in Clemson. He needs to play for the real ORANGE!

Showing my age, and the fact that I haven't seen much HS sports in TN outside of East. TN, but the ones that jump out at me are Jonn Johnson in hoops (BHS 85) and Leroy Thompson (AE 86), and Brent Collins (Jeff Co. 84?) in football.

Albert Davis ... mid '60s, Alcoa, all (ALL) sports and All-American in football/basketball
Ron Widby ... early '60s, Fulton, also multiple All-American in multiple sports

For me it is Kelcey Williams from Humboldt. He was the most talented I have seen at the high school level. He just couldn't make the grades to get eligible. He is just above Al Wilson and Patrick Willis for me.

Two of the best I can think of off the top of my head: Mike Kelly from Red Bank. He went on to play LB at Tenn. but had to quit because of medical problems if I remember correctly. Also Pumpy Tudors from Marion Co. was what I thought a good high school player.

its truely awesome to hear about other tremendous players from this state on the high school level as far as the ebst you guys have ever seen.. thanks for the comments to guys..it's good to see fellow tn not argue for a change on here about a topic

He was before my time but the facts about Doug Atkins blow me away. 6' 8" 280 lbs in college in 1950? All-SEC caliber basketball player and high jumper? One of the greatest football players to come out of UT. That is one freak athlete!!!

Powell had a baseball player back in the day named Stanton Cameron who could hit 90's on his fastball and could hit it a mile....

Austin East had so many athletes in the mid to late 80's but Leroy Thompson was a beast in hoops and football. Was MVP of state hoops tournament as a sophomore.

Guy at Oak Ridge named Darryl Miller was freakish but never heard of him again after college.

Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams at Alcoa were both studs, as was Big Al and Little Al Davis.

Never saw her but obviously Babe Diedrickson is an all time great

Eric Westmoreland was pretty impressive, although when I saw him I thought he was more impressive at RB than LB.

VN Store

Back