What is the perception of TN football / Butch Jones by Memphis coaches?

volnmemphis

Not having followed high school football in a bit, I was curious what those of you who are in know think about how TN football is perceived now that Butch has had a few years to get us back on track and (hopefully) re-establish some relationships that got tarnished under Dooley.

Is there ill will at MUS with Tim Hart's commitment or is that just part of the process?

How do we get these Memphis kids to go to UT vs. Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State, etc?

That Butch "Gets It" and that the VOLS are BACK! Coaches understand that the VOLS are now a powerhouse program for years to come!

Not having followed high school football in a bit, I was curious what those of you who are in know think about how TN football is perceived now that Butch has had a few years to get us back on track and (hopefully) re-establish some relationships that got tarnished under Dooley.

Is there ill will at MUS with Tim Hart's commitment or is that just part of the process?

How do we get these Memphis kids to go to UT vs. Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State, etc?

First off one must realize that Memphis is as much a part of Tennessee as the other three major cities.

Send prospect sheets to the area coaches and visit them.

On IHVs sell mom and dad our academic programs, sell the prospect our tradition and facilities which are second to none.

Reactions: 1 person
Who was the last Memphis player to exceed expectations at any university?

Here are a few players from Memphis that obviously exceeded expectations.

Michael Oher NFL
Dontari Poe NFL
Lonnie Ballentine NFL
Marlon Brown NFL
Barrett Jones NFL
Tenarius Wright NFL
Greg Hardy NFL
Cassius Vaugh NFL
Jacob Ford NFL
Dan Williams NFL
Morgan Cox NFL

Reactions: 3 people

Now that Butch has rebuilt Tennessee from a punching bag to a contender, Tennessee may still be hated by other fan bases, but now they are telling fewer jokes. They know they will have to eat them later.

Jack Nicholson said it best when he played the Joker in the 80s BATMAN movie; "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs." For one, I am hoping Tennessee develops inroads into Memphis. There are years programs from there have quality players, and the Hart situation sets it back slightly. However, Butch has to make tough choices in deciding on who to offer, who to sign and who to cut loose. That is going to cause some ill will, but if the program is successful, that will mostly be short term.

It's tough, because if you are in Memphis, you know better than us in East Tennessee that all those schools you mentioned are much closer to Memphis than Knoxville. Had football recruiting been an issue when the University was founded, someone would have undoubtedly placed the campus centrally, either north or south of the Nashville area. Butch promised to own the state of Tennessee when he was hired, and I am one fan that does not want him to forget it. So one of the assistants should focus on Memphis, having different promotions that keeps the power T visible in W Tennessee, and any other opportunity to excite HS students in that end of the state about the Tennessee brand should be considered. Tennessee is a national brand, but it is also the statewide brand. Not the blue tigers or the commode hos. And having a neutral site game in Memphis, even if the opponent is not Memphis would help. But I bet the blue tigers don't want that.

VN Store

Back