What's up w/Bearden Coaches

Backwards K

At least three Bearden HS coaches have been fired or suspended in the last 2 or 3 years.

Whiny players and parents or weak administration?

From the KNS:

Melissa Ogden, the spokeswoman for Knox County Schools, said Blevins "received a disciplinary suspension for unprofessional conduct as a head basketball coach."

"I can't get into it all. It's a politically correct environment these days." (Quote from the coach.)

Sounds to me like someone complained to mommy and daddy after getting called a name.

From the KNS:

Melissa Ogden, the spokeswoman for Knox County Schools, said Blevins "received a disciplinary suspension for unprofessional conduct as a head basketball coach."

"I can't get into it all. It's a politically correct environment these days." (Quote from the coach.)

Sounds to me like someone complained to mommy and daddy after getting called a name.
You hit it on the nose

Bearden baseball and basketball coaches suspended and softball coach fired in last 2 years because some players and parents complained. All good coaches.

Blevins is tough on his players but his teams are always well coached and they play hard. Also see where a lot of former players are coming to his defense. As former Colorado head football coach Dan Hawkins once said, "go play intramurals brother!"

Blevins is the best coach in the state, IMO. Played against his teams, he has had a couple of very talented teams but, he does more with less better than anybody I've ever seen. His team's discipline is unreal.

Reactions: 1 person
Its out of control at BHS. The most successful coaches keep getting let go for no reason. Football , The most winnings coach in history, Baseball, Track, and now Softball, The most successful coach in history let go this past years for no reason. The kid are learning a hard lesson about leadership. Bad Leadership. At lease the softball players are standing up and saying no more from that administration. All returning starter have left the program and are playing in Georgia this spring. Going from a 1st time State Team to possibly not even fielding a team. This new athletic director is too young to be in that position. Still wants to give to kids Rice Krispy treats and a Juice box after games.Whiney parents and a Administration that no one trust. They don't have the kids best interest in mind just their personal agenda.

Last edited:
The baseball coach was a puzzler. He was winning and the kids loved him. No issues at all with that man's character either. Weird.

i used to be an assistant wrestling coach at Bearden. I personally thought the basketball coach was great, soft society we live in today.

Reactions: 2 people
i used to be an assistant wrestling coach at Bearden. I personally thought the basketball coach was great, soft society we live in today.

What year were you there? Bobby Walters and I help start the first team ever there in 1994. WE went 8-8 with a bunch of scrubs from the football team.

Bearden had wrestling in the 1970s.

Yep I wrestled a Bearden guy in the '77 district finals, Don Owens or something like that IIRC. I don't think they had a whole lineup back then though.

The recent Bearden teams have been good enough to make it to the State Duals, at least once or twice (maybe more) since the tournament moved to Williamson County.

Last edited:
What year were you there? Bobby Walters and I help start the first team ever there in 1994. WE went 8-8 with a bunch of scrubs from the football team.

I coached there in 12-13. Spent a year at Central before that. Went to state duals for the first time etc... It's fun seeing kids so used to losing start turning the corner.

Well, if the wrestling team is doing well, I hope the coach is nice to all of his athletes and doesn't actually push them too hard. That's a good way for a coach to get suspended at that school.:thumbsup:

Well, if the wrestling team is doing well, I hope the coach is nice to all of his athletes and doesn't actually push them too hard. That's a good way for a coach to get suspended at that school.:thumbsup:

That's not what happened with the baseball coach. The kids loved him and they were winning. A head scratcher.

The coaches at Bearden are good coaches and good to the players. When ever there is a complaint from a whiney parent or untrue rumors the Athletic Director cant handle it. There is no way he should be in that position, Still want coaches to treat players like 10 year olds instead of getting them ready for college.Then the principle backs him up without any communication at all with the coaches and they are blindsided. The Basketball coach has coached hard for a long time and everyone knows this. Need to get rid of the real problems and that's the AD and Principle

Blevins is an old school coach who pushes his players very hard. However, there is a purpose and a goal behind his actions: He makes his teams better and he makes his players better on and off the court. Some can't take this type of discipline and/or his style of coaching, they normally quit or worse whine to the administration about it. Those that can stand up to it become better basketball players and better citizens for the experience.

Don't know the Bearden softball coach who was fired after taking the team to the state tournament but I do know that Coach Rice (baseball) and Blevins are two of the most respected coaches in this end of the state and both were punished by the BHS administration as a result of complaints filed by disgruntled parents.

Seems like in the baseball complaint, after Knox County investigated the complaint, the parents who brought the complaints were sanctioned by Knox County and not allowed to attend any games for one year. This after the Bearden administration had suspended Rice.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back