Why is Maryville HS so Good?

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Rumor says they do a lot of heavy recruiting inside and outside of the county lines to secure great players. Never heard this before until last night from UT grad.

Reactions: 1 person
They can only get players from inside Blount County(like Alcoa). Maryville is so good because of great coaching from George Quarles and tradition.

Reactions: 6 people
Go watch a game with Maryville. I have seen them play 2 times. against dobyns-bennett and against Whitehaven. Neither time did they have the better athletes, in fact most of them are white and not much bigger than an average guy walking down the road. Watch their lines and youll see that they have the best coaches in Tennessee not the best players. they do everything perfect. its kind of scary to think what would happen at a fulton or blackman if a coach like that came in.

Reactions: 8 people
You can move to Blount Co to go to school there. If you think you're a good football player and thats your meal ticket, why not? When I was in HS (in KY) a pitcher moved into my county to go to our school because we had a decent baseball team and his county didnt. He ended up a starting pitcher in the majors. I dont know if recruiting is legal. But if your team is good, it recruits on its own.

Reactions: 2 people
Recruiting is the wrong word here; parents find ways to get their kids enrolled at Maryville due to the athletics and education. Many buy or rent homes for that very reason. The main reason Maryville is so solid is because every coach in the youth programs (elementary and middle school) runs the same exact plays and defensive schemes from the time they first put on pads. Basically, they are fundamentally outstanding and execute plays exactly as they are drawn, and that is very tough to overcome even with better talent.

The little league teams use the same playbook that is used in high school. The players learn the schemes at a very young age and master the execution. That along with great coaching will give you a great team.

It happens up here in New Jersey too. The better schools go out and get the best players around. So if it's happening here then I'm sure it is happening in the Southern states. High school football is way more popular down South then it is up North.

It appears a couple of posters on here know what they are talking about. Maryville does not recruit. They play with the kids that come out for football. If you move to Maryville so your kid can play there, then okay. That's perfectly legal. What people hate is that Maryville is a small school that plays at a high level every year. They do have the best coaches...in high school football...anywhere. Check their record over the last 15 years. Did you know the starting QB and a starting DB were suspended for the year back in Oct?

CGQ is the man and many have tried to hire him away. Maryville is blessed to have him.

Reactions: 2 people
My brother was an all-state cornerback at Maryville in the mid-to-late 1990s just as Maryville was beginning this latest run in football dominance. He was on the team that won the state title in 1998 under Tim Hammontree. He also was one of those to have the lost cause of defending John Henderson while Big John was playing tight end when Maryville lost to Pearl-Cohn at the state championships in 1997. Little brother is 5'8'' at best, so this was a near-impossible task if the quarterback got it anywhere near Henderson.

The key factor was getting the middle schools to run the same system as the Rebels. Once Coach Hammontree got that job done, they developed a factory set-up where the incoming 9th graders had system knowledge. The better players in that group could then be counted on to provide quality depth on the team. It built from there.

The other influences driving Maryville now are population growth and the quality of the Maryville school system.

Reactions: 4 people
Because they don't play in middle Tennessee.

Quality East Tennessee teams generally make up for a deficit in talent with an over-abundance of courage and toughness compared to their counterparts in other parts of the state.

Maryville combines those traditional East Tennessee attributes with plenty of talent to match. This is why they are dominant in Tennessee.

Reactions: 3 people
My brother was an all-state cornerback at Maryville in the mid-to-late 1990s just as Maryville was beginning this latest run in football dominance. He was on the team that won the state title in 1998 under Tim Hammontree. He also was one of those to have the lost cause of defending John Henderson while Big John was playing tight end when Maryville lost to Pearl-Cohn at the state championships in 1997. Little brother is 5'8'' at best, so this was a near-impossible task if the quarterback got it anywhere near Henderson.

The key factor was getting the middle schools to run the same system as the Rebels. Once Coach Hammontree got that job done, they developed a factory set-up where the incoming 9th graders had system knowledge. The better players in that group could then be counted on to provide quality depth on the team. It built from there.

The other influences driving Maryville now are population growth and the quality of the Maryville school system.

100% correct. Class of 93 :)

100% correct. Class of 93 :)

I would've loved to have went there. It is a great school.

The other real big-time player he went up against was Jason Witten at Elizabethton. As great as he is at Tight End, I believe Witten would have made an equal impact at middle linebacker.

They played Witten anywhere he wanted to play on defense. Maryville barely won and Witten, who literally had given every ounce of effort he had to win that game, was crying on his mother's shoulders at the end.

I played high school in Georgia and have watched it in here in Florida and back home in Tennessee. Jason Witten is still the best athlete and player I've ever seen in person on a high school field.

Last edited:
Recruiting is the wrong word here; parents find ways to get their kids enrolled at Maryville due to the athletics and education. Many buy or rent homes for that very reason. The main reason Maryville is so solid is because every coach in the youth programs (elementary and middle school) runs the same exact plays and defensive schemes from the time they first put on pads. Basically, they are fundamentally outstanding and execute plays exactly as they are drawn, and that is very tough to overcome even with better talent.

This is 110% the truth and the reason why Maryville is so hard to beat. You look at powerhouses all over the country and you will find all the feeder schools run same offenses and same defenses and when they reach high school it takes a short time for coaches to hone the players to fundamentally sound juggernauts.

You can run the same schemes from Kindergarten until HS, but if you don't have the athletes, you can't compete. Denial is to think all these players start in middle school and make their way to HS. Their big time players usually arrive in 8th grade from surrounding counties.

They can only get players from inside Blount County(like Alcoa). Maryville is so good because of great coaching from George Quarles and tradition.

Families move all the time. Players that live in the county move to the city. Players in neighboring counties move to a different county or city. You can have the best coach there is but if you don't have the players - you still don't win and vice versa.

Those who believe that Maryville does not encourage good players from areas outside of Maryville to move / come to Maryville are kidding yourself.

As somebody who grew up in Blount Co. It's no secret that GQ is the best coach in the state. He's the reason they're so good but, they do take a lot of players from the county. I'd say 3 out every 5 good players from a county school, end up going to the City. Simply because they think they won't get college looks if they don't play for a good team. The county schools could field 10x better teams if everybody stayed where they should be.

Because they don't play in middle Tennessee.

Yeah right. They have pretty much mopped the floor with every middle TN team they have ever played in route more state championships than I can count at this point. They have a great coach that's why they win so much

VN Store

Back