Riverdale & Smyrna Girls Basketball Scandal

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Riverdale, Smyrna girls basketball teams removed from postseason

MURFREESBORO -- Both Riverdale and Smyrna were removed from the Region 4-AAA girls basketball tournament by the TSSAA today following actions by both schools during the District 7-AAA consolation game.

Smyrna won the consolation game in a contest marred by both teams blatantly playing to lose the game and potentially steer clear of top-ranked Blackman in the Region 4-AAA semifinals, which is an elimination game.

I wish the girls wouldn't of actually been disqualified from the region tournament. By all means the coaches got what they deserved, and actually got off light in my eyes. I guess it's hard for the TSSAA to really bring the hammer down, because no rules were actually broken. While the girls knew what they were doing was wrong, they still was doing what their coaches ordered them to do. Those coaches have no respect for the game, no integrity, and no character either. Shame on them! In my opinion the teams should of been able to play with an interim coach, or whoever would willingly step up.

I wish the girls wouldn't of actually been disqualified from the region tournament. By all means the coaches got what they deserved, and actually got off light in my eyes. I guess it's hard for the TSSAA to really bring the hammer down, because no rules were actually broken. While the girls knew what they were doing was wrong, they still was doing what their coaches ordered them to do. Those coaches have no respect for the game, no integrity, and no character either. Shame on them! In my opinion the teams should of been able to play with an interim coach, or whoever would willingly step up.

I disagree. The coaches deserve to shoulder most of the blame, but the players should still have consequences for their actions, too. I actually agree with the TSSAA for once.

Reactions: 1 person
Who cares its girls bball, some good 5th and 6th grade teams could beat the both of them. Having said that those dudes are scum.

If you want to lose, do what the NBA does. Tell everyone your best players are sick/hurt and play your 5th string. Shouldn't be too hard to call some JV players up if that's what you want to do.

If you want to lose, do what the NBA does. Tell everyone your best players are sick/hurt and play your 5th string. Shouldn't be too hard to call some JV players up if that's what you want to do.

both did play game with starters out of game. Coaches were just plan stupid. If they were going to lose-bring ball in shoot on other team basket, you get ball back and get to do it all over again. If you miss and they rebound can't go over half court line or you get ball back on their side of the court.

If they were going to lose-bring ball in shoot on other team basket, you get ball back and get to do it all over again.

I just found out one team tried that, but the other team was playing some tough pressure defense and lead the referees to call a 10 second violation.

Thats the point, from what I have been told, where the refs finally stepped in and talked with the coaches.

Last edited:
This happens all the time in the consolation game of the district tournament. A byproduct of 4 teams advancing to regions. If this was an elimination game you would avoid nonsense like this

This happens all the time in the consolation game of the district tournament. A byproduct of 4 teams advancing to regions. If this was an elimination game you would avoid nonsense like this

Totally agree. There was no incentive to win and all to gain by losing. you can blame the coaches and players but you also must put blame on the system so this wouldn't happen

Totally agree. There was no incentive to win and all to gain by losing. you can blame the coaches and players but you also must put blame on the system so this wouldn't happen

There's nothing wrong with the current format. This is just a rare occurrence where 1 team is supremely superior to every other team. This is also why the Consolation Game is played before the Championship.

There's nothing wrong with the current format. This is just a rare occurrence where 1 team is supremely superior to every other team. This is also why the Consolation Game is played before the Championship.

This happens all the time. May not be as blatant that they were in the game being discussed but its common for teams to let starters "rest" for extended periods or give JV kids minutes. I think letting 3 teams advance both rewards the teams that win the district tournament by giving them a by to the regional semis and it gives a greater incentive for the consolation.

To me it is a loser's mentality by the coach. Coaching should be about teaching important life lessons through sports, what these two douches did should result in a firing. I would not allow my child to play for a coach like this. I would personally like the challenge of playing a team like Blackmon. You then have the opportunity to be the team to take them out.

If I had a coach do this I would have purposefully blown them out. This is the type of stuff that just irritates me to no end.

"Hey kids you have zero chance of beating the next team, so let's lose on purpose!"
that's a line out of the next inspirational sports movie.

I heard about this on the radio and wondered how bad could it be? That's shameful. I don't see how you can be a player or coach and tank. Sure Blackman may outclass your team with talent but playing the game is the only way you can cement a legacy. I think all should have to watch a Hoosiers marathon to see how and why you play hard.

"Hey kids you have zero chance of beating the next team, so let's lose on purpose!"
that's a line out of the next inspirational sports movie.

Perfect way to prepare them for the real world. Some situations you cannot win. This isn't Captain Kirk after all.

VN Store

Back