Powell Football

northknoxvol

Senior Member (BFL)
Can someone get me up to speed on what to expect. Game atmosphere, tailgating, players etc. I just moved to Powell and want to start attending the games on a regular basis. Thanks:hi:

We just scrimmaged them and West in 7 on 7 tonight. Their secondary looks pretty darn good. They had several picks and several passes batted away.

Reactions: 1 person
They usually are really good, my son played for Oak Ridge a few years ago, and I know there game day atmosphere was pretty rocking for high school...I think they won like 45-3, and we were a good team.

Reactions: 1 person
Powell is on their 4th head coach in 4 years AND since Spring practice, the def co. was fired and the off co. left because they were great friends. That means a new offense and defense since Spring. It's hard to know what to expect, but the defense is the same as two years ago so many of the players are familiar with it. The area of concern is the offensive line who struggled last year. The good news is, they all return as they were a young unit last year.

Powell has been really good for the last several years, but after the departure of Coach Lowe who took them to the state championship, the program has declined every year. We made some questionable decisions on replacing Lowe which has led to the recent turmoil. We are optimistic about Coach Allen, but the jury is out and the first two games will be a real test - Fulton and CAK.

Overall talent is probably the lowest I've seen in several years. However, Darel Middleton is a monster at 6'4" and is a UT commit. He has great physical abilities, but has been kicked of the team or suspended the last two years in a row. He has some attitude problems, but let's hope he's got that worked out now and has matured. There is no question he can dominate when he wants to. While the team still has some good athletes, the quantity and level is not where it has been recently.

Other players to watch are Hunter Wooliver (Wooly) who is a great athlete and currently starting at LB. Cody Reed is also a player to watch who plays defensive end and is extremely quick off the ball. On the offensive side of the ball, watch for Dominic Moore who is fast and very shifty. You will probably hear those 4 players mentioned a lot over the PA. Our QB (Conner Sepesi) will be a junior and filled in nicely for our starting QB who tore his ACL last year.

There is a great atmosphere and the stands are always full regardless of who we play. There isn't a ton of tailgating, but it is still a great experience. Parking can be a challenge as it is at most high schools.

Welcome to Powell! Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think Jps's assessment was very accurate. Before Matt Lowe got to Powell they were anywhere from 4 to 7 wins a year. But Lowe took them to new heights and almost won State. Ever since then they have been on decline. I have heard that alot of the kids down there like the new coach, but are VERY skeptical about running the Wing-T offense( LOL). Now I will ask you JPs, is this Wing-T this coach wants to run more like Webb's Wing-T or does it have more Triple-Option concepts? Either way I look for Powell to be improved this year....... But my Bobcats will get the W again this year. Look at my thread in the High School sports forum for more info. GO BOBCATS!:peace2:

How did nathan cottrell of west look?

I tried to figure out which one he was but no one jumped out at me as having elite speed.

Middleton showed his butt more than once. His coach had to talk to him after he shoved a West player after a play. He also tried to run over a defender in what amounts to two hand touch football.

Last edited:
I think Jps's assessment was very accurate. Before Matt Lowe got to Powell they were anywhere from 4 to 7 wins a year. But Lowe took them to new heights and almost won State. Ever since then they have been on decline. I have heard that alot of the kids down there like the new coach, but are VERY skeptical about running the Wing-T offense( LOL). Now I will ask you JPs, is this Wing-T this coach wants to run more like Webb's Wing-T or does it have more Triple-Option concepts? Either way I look for Powell to be improved this year....... But my Bobcats will get the W again this year. Look at my thread in the High School sports forum for more info. GO BOBCATS!:peace2:

We honestly haven't really seen the Wing-T yet since they didn't run it in the Spring. He said at one point that it would be similar to what Auburn is doing. I think it will be fairly balanced between the run and pass. Only time will tell.

Well sounds like a good time to be a newbie.........if parking is too bad I might just walk since I live close to the school......

Well sounds like a good time to be a newbie.........if parking is too bad I might just walk since I live close to the school......

I'm afraid you missed some great teams, but let's hope they continue with the tradition. As long as you get there 30-45 min before kick-off, you can park. Also, the middle section of the bleachers are reserved seats. If you plan on attending all of the games, I would suggest calling the school and getting some. They are the same price as paying at the door, but guarantees you always have a good seat.

I might do that next year............I will just go game by game this year to get my feet wet.......

I tried to figure out which one he was but no one jumped out at me as having elite speed.

Middleton showed his butt more than once. His coach had to talk to him after he shoved a West player after a play. He also tried to run over a defender in what amounts to two hand touch football.

I was watching the same scrimmage and that west kid was definitely the instigator. He was trash talking and head butted DM before DM pushed him. That being said, DM has to learn that a lot of players are going to test him for two reasons; 1. He is easy to piss off and draw a flag on, 2. They are looking to prove themselves against a SEC recruit.

For those of you interested, Powell starts in helmets and shoulder pads tonight at 6. Next week will be in full pads at 6 PM.

Last edited:

The Best thing to happen for Powell was Kilgore leaving for Karns and I think most Powell fans would agree with me. Great time to be a newbie?, Maybe, time plus how the kids and community react to this new coach will tell. I just think its funny that Kilgore left to go to "The Graveyard of Coaches." :eek:lol:

The Best thing to happen for Powell was Kilgore leaving for Karns and I think most Powell fans would agree with me. Great time to be a newbie?, Maybe, time plus how the kids and community react to this new coach will tell. I just think its funny that Kilgore left to go to "The Graveyard of Coaches." :eek:lol:
Agreed! I like what I see from the head coach (Allen) and his staff. He is paying attention to the details and letting the kids know when they screw up, but he also praises them when they do good. The Wing T was looking good tonight. We'll see how it looks when we go up against another opponent at the scrimmage Saturday at Bradley County.

How's CHS looking?

Agreed! I like what I see from the head coach (Allen) and his staff. He is paying attention to the details and letting the kids know when they screw up, but he also praises them when they do good. The Wing T was looking good tonight. We'll see how it looks when we go up against another opponent at the scrimmage Saturday at Bradley County.

How's CHS looking?

Glad you ask Jps. We're looking good and the anticipation for the Coach Rosser era to start is VERY high. He currently has our kids in "Training Camp" everyday this week and our first bit of action is next Friday at Mo West. Our Offense this year will be Multiple as he has a variety of different formations. Our Defense is also multiple featuring alot of 3 man fronts. Going up to Mo West is brilliant since we play Jeff County first gm( Same drive, similar atmosphere, similar type of teams). We truly believe Rosser was the right hire and I dont think there is going to be a transition year. I expect us to make the playoffs barring alot of injuries.

Last edited:
Glad you ask Jps. We're looking good and the anticipation for the Coach Rosser era to start is VERY high. He currently has our kids in "Training Camp" everyday this week and our first bit of action is next Friday at Mo West. Our Offense this year will be Multiple as he has a variety of different formations. Our Defense is also multiple featuring alot of 3 man fronts. Going up to Mo West is brilliant since we play Jeff County first gm( Same drive, similar atmosphere, similar type of teams). We truly believe Rosser was the right hire and I dont think there is going to be a transition year. I expect us to make the playoffs barring alot of injuries.

Sounds like a good start, I hope it works out well for you except for Sep 19 :p

The Wing T is actually looking pretty good. Can't wait to see how it looks in our scrimmage this Saturday.

Powell looked good last night in the jamboree against Bearden. Final score - Powell 21, Bearden 0. Below is a summary - don't quote me exactly as I'm old and senile, but this what I can recall.

First series - Powell Offense
Drove from our 30 down to Bearden 30 (approx, can't remember exactly). Gave up a sack and had to punt. Strong offensive series except for the big sack.

Second series - Powell Defense
Powell sends the house on the first play and Bearden fumbles and we recover on their 10.

Third series - Powell Offense
We score a TD - can't remember if it was 1 or 2 plays

Fourth series - Powell Defense
We force a 3 and out. The first play of the series was a blitz by our SAM LB who forces the QB out of the pocket who ultimately gets sacked by our DE for about a 10 yard loss.

Fifth series - Powell Offense
Another long drive culiminating in a approx 15 yard run up the middle by our fullback for a TD

Sixth series - Powell Defense
Another 3 and out - the defense looks strong!

Seventh series - Powell Offense
Another good drive by the offense capped off by a 20 or so yard counter play for a TD.

Eighth series - Powell Defense
Very little time left on the clock, Bearden runs two plays that go nowhere.

Final Thoughts:
Powell Offense looked great with only one negative play (the sack). We controlled the clock and moved the ball very well.

Powell Defense looked dominant by giving up zero first downs and very little yards.

We face a HUGE test Friday night at Fulton. It's a tough way to start the Coach Allen era, but I like his attitude and what he's been telling the boys about this game. If we can control the clock and keep Fulton off the field, who knows. Fulton seems to be loaded like the last few years, so this will be a tall order.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back