TSSAA Class Division

Advol

Why 5 in Football but only go to 3 in Basketball and Baseball?? :dunno:

For one its easier to compete in sports that don't require as many players per team. When you think of how many football players are required and the size of some high schools. It kind of makes sence.

In Kentucky, there's 6 classes in Football but just 1 state champion in most other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc.). Cross Country & Track may have 3 classes (No idea why)

One other is the number of games you play in a season. Only 10 in football but in baseball & basketball with tournaments I think 20-30+ if you go deep in the playoffs.

There are 8 football classifications in Tennessee.

The TSSAA proposed three ideas this past week for the Board of Control to consider for 2015: keep the current six-class system, return to five classes (last used in 2008) or adopt this new hybrid six-class plan.

Financial Aid (Div. II A & AA) classes doesn't count!

Last edited:
I think they should go to 4 classifications + 2 for private schools. This current system is stupid. You have teams playing in the playoffs that shouldn't be there, and they supposedly made some of the current changes to prevent teams from having to travel too far, but that hasn't worked out very well. And don't get me started on having the Championships at Tech...about the worst place they could have them. We have so many nice locations and stadiums but we choose Tech which is in an awful location, and pitiful facilities.........

The TSSAA proposed three ideas this past week for the Board of Control to consider for 2015: keep the current six-class system, return to five classes (last used in 2008) or adopt this new hybrid six-class plan.

Financial Aid (Div. II A & AA) classes doesn't count!

Yea I saw it. The 6 hybrid is utterly stupid.

And don't get me started on having the Championships at Tech...about the worst place they could have them. We have so many nice locations and stadiums but we choose Tech which is in an awful location, and pitiful facilities.........

I'll grant you that Cookeville is not a good location to host the games and is ill equipped to handle that amount of people, but disagree on the facilities. Tech's stadium is very nice and handles the number of fans easily. Granted, it isn't Neyland stadium or Vandy, but to say they are pitiful isn't accurate.

The biggest problem I see is it is not centrally located and the traffic is terrible. Fortunately, the last time I went to the games I knew to stay off Jefferson and Willow which are the two main routes to the interstate. But, for the others who didn't know alternate routes, they were stuck in serious traffic.

They need to find a way to make MTSU or even Vandy work which is centrally located. Can't imagine having to drive from upper West TN to Cookeville, that would suck.

VN Store

Back