Clay Travis acting bigger than his britches?

madbamahater

I like the guy on 104.5 the zone in Nashville. He acts like a know it all ass and he succeeds at pissing people off. However, today I thought he was a little classless and childish. Michael Palardy came up in discussion. Travis used it as an opportunity to completely trash Palardy. Sure, Palardy struggled until last season. The guy had absolutely zero coaching before last year and was kicking for two seasons while injured. Travis basically said Palardy is wack and not good enough to ever start in the NFL. He was sooo confident that he offered up 50,000.00 to "charity" if Palardy is ever named the starting kicker on an NFL team. Of course, as usual, he tried to wiggle out of it when the others guys called him out. Asking..what if Palardy is the punter on an NFL team...Clay then said, no that doesn't count. I think it would be funny as hell if this smart mouthed idiot has to pay up with money he doesn't really have. Sure, I assume he's doing "okay" these days. But I guarantee he doesn't have 50k to just **** away and of he does have that cash to **** away, he doesn't deserve it...

Last edited:
He's a punk but ppl think it's interesting enough to listen... He's taking the Howard stern approach.

I like the guy on 104.5 the zone in Nashville. He acts like a know it all ass and he succeeds at pissing people off. However, today I thought he was a little classless and childish. Michael Palardy came up in discussion. Travis used it as an opportunity to completely trash Palardy. Sure, Palardy struggled until last season. The guy had absolutely zero coaching before last year and was kicking for two seasons while injured. Travis basically said Palardy is wack and not good enough to ever start in the NFL. He was sooo confident that he offered up 50,000.00 to "charity" if Palardy is ever named the starting kicker on an NFL team. Of course, as usual, he tried to wiggle out of it when the others guys called him out. Asking..what if Palardy is the punter on an NFL team...Clay then said, no that doesn't count. I think it would be funny as hell if this smart mouthed idiot has to pay up with money he doesn't really have. Sure, I assume he's doing "okay" these days. But I guarantee he doesn't have 50k to just **** away and of he does have that cash to **** away, he doesn't deserve it...
I heard that, too. Travis is still upset that his huggy bear James Franklin left Nashville. A real tool!:whistling:

Cool rant, bro.

Is this you Clay? It's not a rant.....

It's a lengthy description of what transpired. I just thought it was completely tasteless. If Clay was serious about donating money to "charity" he would've not used this meaningless RANT about trashing Palardy as the basis to make his point.

I normally don't mind Clay, if fact I enjoy the show. I'm a routine listener. But, it was pretty low and I do expect a bit more from even him. If he thinks Palardy sucks, that's one thing. But to go acting like he's got some big dough to just flush away is foolishness over something so meaningless. If you want to be admirable then just donate 50k dude and don't even mention you did it. Going public about your own "good deeds" makes you look like your doing it for personal gain......

Reactions: 3 people

It's a lengthy description of what transpired. I just thought it was completely tasteless. If Clay was serious about donating money to "charity" he would've not used this meaningless RANT about trashing Palardy as the basis to make his point.

I normally don't mind Clay, if fact I enjoy the show. I'm a routine listener. But, it was pretty low and I do expect a bit more from even him. If he thinks Palardy sucks, that's one thing. But to go acting like he's got some big dough to just flush away is foolishness over something so meaningless. If you want to be admirable then just donate 50k dude and don't even mention you did it. Going public about your own "good deeds" makes you look like your doing it for personal gain......

Tell us how you really feel.:dunno:

Sure, I assume he's doing "okay" these days. But I guarantee he doesn't have 50k to just **** away and of he does have that cash to **** away, he doesn't deserve it...

Clay can just use the alimony check he's getting from James Franklin.

Reactions: 4 people
In all honesty, there is a difference between a kicker and a punter. You rarely see one guy do the punting and field goal kicking, even in college. I know Palardy did both for us this past year, but it's a rarity. Palardy had a great year for us, but there's basically 32 jobs for kickers when there's about 100 or so kickers wanting to get into the league. I don't mind Clay Travis. I think the main reason why people don't like him is because he isn't a homer like most Vol fans want him to be. He also brings good insight when it comes to legal matters in sports. He tells the truth when people don't want to hear the truth. Blast away...

Reactions: 1 person
In all honesty, there is a difference between a kicker and a punter. You rarely see one guy do the punting and field goal kicking, even in college. I know Palardy did both for us this past year, but it's a rarity. Palardy had a great year for us, but there's basically 32 jobs for kickers when there's about 100 or so kickers wanting to get into the league. I don't mind Clay Travis. I think the main reason why people don't like him is because he isn't a homer like most Vol fans want him to be. He also brings good insight when it comes to legal matters in sports. He tells the truth when people don't want to hear the truth. Blast away...

Correct. But to be even more particular the "kicker" he is referring to is called a "place kicker" and there is a "punter". But technically both of those positions are "kicker". So, since we are splitting hairs, he would be wrong. If he has his law degree, he should know this and should have been more specific. I don't mind Clay either (I'm a dedicated listener). But you would have just had to hear. It was just kinda slimy and ****ty acting. Really showed his MLK and Vandie law punk attitude that's all. No one really minds his "shock value" radio style. Most of the time it's just funny because we all know it's an act for ratings. But a lot of times his true punkish personality shows.....

He's a punk but ppl think it's interesting enough to listen... He's taking the Howard stern approach.

I don't care for his show however; there are times when he is correct & even complimentary about things concerning U.T.

I have heard him make real compliments concerning the athletic programs at U.T. but 90% of the time, he is critical and making jokes aobut them.

It's best to ignore him, which I know can be difficult, but your reaction is exactly what he wants. He has no interest in being any kind of objective sports "journalist", because those are boring and don't make any money for someone like him. His goal is to be the the TMZ of sports media.

Look at his website, he usually doesn't have many articles about actual sports, just stories involving sports, and he usually is somewhat obsessed with certain sports figures, i.e. Johnny Football and James Franklin.

It is best to just ignore, but I'm with you. I hope he loses this bet.

Yesterday I listened to it about 5 minutes and they were discussing the Derek Mason Vandy mural revision (which even I noticed from the beginning, and I’m glad is happening for everybody involved). But Clay and Brent were just laughing at the situation, while I could tell Blaine was kinda upset. They should’ve just let Blaine talk about it, but instead they didn’t give him time to speak because their laughter was in the way. Insensitive IMO when they could’ve used the situation for a thoughtful discussion. But they do consider their show almost to be comedy. It’s definitely a joke sometimes.

Most kickers/punters are a bit wack. I think Palardy very well could start for an NFL team one day, but as a punter.

Also, he acts like a 15 year old most of the time on his reactions to things that really aren't that big of a deal, i.e. his "article" on Rex Chapman from a few weeks ago.

In my opinion, Clay Travis is trying to make a name for himself. I think he has already done that, but not in a good way. On situations where he makes a right prediction, he struts and preens like the cock of the walk, and when he is wrong, he makes silly excuses that his fans are stupid enough to buy.

He reminds me of a slinkie. He isn't good for much, but brings a smile to your face if pushed down a flight of stairs.

Reactions: 2 people

Nope, it's a rant.

Before calling someone a moron you may want to actually know what his argument was.

That the UT basketball job was bigger than the Football job? I mean thats what he tweeted.

I just checked his twitter feed and it looks like he deleted it, obviously for good reason

Last edited:

VN Store

Back