Perfect season gives Fulton claim to best-ever distinction

uumm Maryville

To lay claim to being Knoxville’s best high school football team since the playoff era began in 1969, Fulton would have to go undefeated.

I'm guessing they don't count Maryville. Otherwise, Fulton doesn't even have a realistic claim for best high-school football team this year.

If it's best Knoxville area team, then there would be Maryville teams in like 8 of the top 10 spots lol.

I'm guessing they don't count Maryville. Otherwise, Fulton doesn't even have a realistic claim for best high-school football team this year.

If it's best Knoxville area team, then there would be Maryville teams in like 8 of the top 10 spots lol.
I'm not taking away anything from Maryville and what Quarles has done there for a long time, but how can you not accept that Fulton was one of the best teams Knoxville has ever produced. They broke the state record for scoring and had the 4th highest in history in the nation and that was with backups playing the majority of the second half.

They dominated nearly every opponent they played. Give credit where its due - the 2013 Falcons are in the discussion for sure.

I'm not taking away anything from Maryville and what Quarles has done there for a long time, but how can you not accept that Fulton was one of the best teams Knoxville has ever produced. They broke the state record for scoring and had the 4th highest in history in the nation and that was with backups playing the majority of the second half.

They dominated nearly every opponent they played. Give credit where its due - the 2013 Falcons are in the discussion for sure.

I watched both teams live and trust me Maryville would destroy Fulton. I'd say 42-7 if they let off the gas late. Maryville beat 3 teams that were at the bluecross bowl. Flat out awesome football team from coaches to players. Fulton is very very good but I'm not sure they beat Knox west either.

Reactions: 1 person
I watched both teams live and trust me Maryville would destroy Fulton. I'd say 42-7 if they let off the gas late. Maryville beat 3 teams that were at the bluecross bowl. Flat out awesome football team from coaches to players. Fulton is very very good but I'm not sure they beat Knox west either.

smh. Okay. I don't even know how to respond to a ridiculous hypothetical scenario that could never be proven. I've seen them live as well.

I've said in previous posts that I would never count out Quarles and Maryville against Fulton and it would definitely be a good game. However, I have no doubt that Fulton would beat West every time. To say Maryville would win 42-7 letting off the gas is asinine.

With the exception of Catholic, nobody was close in the 4th quarter against Fulton and they were dinged up in that game. The records speak for themselves and denying what Fulton did with the argument Maryville would beat them is delusional and ridiculous.

Last edited:
The only thing ridiculous is anyone claiming Fulton is the best Knox area team ever. Sure they scored a ton of points against mediocre competition. So did upperman lol...To say they
Are better than any maryville team is ludacris. I'd say Maryville beat a couple teams better than Fulton in the playoffs Blackman for sure. Fulton was the best team in 4a this year and they beat a very hungry Giles county team. Fulton was explosive and athletic but on Maryvilles level? No way! Btw I had an Alcoa fan tell me before the alcoa /CPA game that nobody in the state could beat THEM right now! I said what about Fulton/Maryville? He said Fulton was scared to play them and Marysville couldn't beat them at this point in the season lol... maybe you guys should do a playoff postseason. Anyways this is just my opinion from watching all these teams play so tifwiw I don't have a dog in this race and live 100 miles from knoxville

Reactions: 2 people
Pretty sure Maryville is not in Knoxville

Well I'm just including them because every year after the state title games ppl throw them in as "Knox area teams dominating in state title games" so if ppl are gonna throw them in to prove the point of Knox area dominance then IMO they gotta be included in this conversation too

smh. Okay. I don't even know how to respond to a ridiculous hypothetical scenario that could never be proven. I've seen them live as well.

By posting in this thread you responded to a ridiculous hypothetical scenario that could never be proven. Marysville is probably one of the top 50-100 teams in the nation and Fulton probably is not just sayin

By posting in this thread you responded to a ridiculous hypothetical scenario that could never be proven. Marysville is probably one of the top 50-100 teams in the nation and Fulton probably is not just sayin
Lol. Just ridiculous. For the record, I never said they were the best ever. I was reacting to your ridiculous claim Mayrville would win 42-7. Fulton is definitely one of the best ever but you are entitled to your ridiculous opinion.

To say that this Fulton team is the best team EVER to come out of Knoxville is complete crap. No way this team would beat the 04-05 Central Bobcats. For those out there who remember this team as I do, they lost only 3 games to McCallie( Who had BJ Coleman) and to Maryville twice. Playing Fulton's schedule that year, Central would have ROLLED to a State title. College players off that team, just to name a few, were: Terrence Scott( College of the Canyons, Univ of Oregon ), Zach Helton ( Memphis), AJ Nance ( Kentucky), Lones Sieber ( Kentucky), Rob Longworth ( Walk-on at Tennessee), And Im sadly leaving some ppl out. Folks, Fulton this year was the best team out of Knoxville in a couple of years, BUT to say ever is completely Ridiculous.:loco:

To say that this Fulton team is the best team EVER to come out of Knoxville is complete crap. No way this team would beat the 04-05 Central Bobcats. For those out there who remember this team as I do, they lost only 3 games to McCallie( Who had BJ Coleman) and to Maryville twice. Playing Fulton's schedule that year, Central would have ROLLED to a State title. College players off that team, just to name a few, were: Terrence Scott( College of the Canyons, Univ of Oregon ), Zach Helton ( Memphis), AJ Nance ( Kentucky), Lones Sieber ( Kentucky), Rob Longworth ( Walk-on at Tennessee), And Im sadly leaving some ppl out. Folks, Fulton this year was the best team out of Knoxville in a couple of years, BUT to say ever is completely Ridiculous.:loco:
I can understand where you are coming from but let's not introduce a 3 loss team into the discussion. :)

This year Fulton was the best team in any class in the state of TN...Maryville would hav been lucky to keep it within 14!!!

This year Fulton was the best team in any class in the state of TN...Maryville would hav been lucky to keep it within 14!!!
Teams that would beat this years Fulton team are
1. Maryville
2. Blackman
3. Oakland
4. Ensworth
5. Brentwood academy
6. Mus
7. Henry County
There's 7 off the top of my head Fulton/Alcoa would have been closer than you think imo

To say that this Fulton team is the best team EVER to come out of Knoxville is complete crap. No way this team would beat the 04-05 Central Bobcats.

Central's 1991 team was also really good, but not undefeated. Todd Helton was the quarterback, and they had a running back named Kippy Bayless, who would go on to break most of MTSU's rushing records. They blew out every team they played until the semifinals, when they lost to Lincoln County at Neyland Stadium.

Austin-East was 15-0 in 1988, I think, but I don't remember them being as dominant as this year's Fulton squad.

Teams that would beat this years Fulton team are
1. Maryville
2. Blackman
3. Oakland
4. Ensworth
5. Brentwood academy
6. Mus
7. Henry County
There's 7 off the top of my head Fulton/Alcoa would have been closer than you think imo

And this is based on what? How many teams did you see play and how many times?

And for those of you who weren't there, Fulton struggled with Giles county believe it or not. It was a 7 point game in the second half and Giles county had momentum. If not helped by 5 Giles county turnovers who knows how that would have turned out. The final score was not indicative of most of the game. Is Fulton much better than Giles county? Yes most definitely. To beat Maryville a team has got to have several D1 caliber athletes I.e Whitehaven last year or a Randall Cobb lead Alcoa team. They would embarrass Fulton in spectacular fashion

And for those of you who weren't there, Fulton struggled with Giles county believe it or not. It was a 7 point game in the second half and Giles county had momentum. If not helped by 5 Giles county turnovers who knows how that would have turned out. The final score was not indicative of most of the game. Is Fulton much better than Giles county? Yes most definitely. To beat Maryville a team has got to have several D1 caliber athletes I.e Whitehaven last year or a Randall Cobb lead Alcoa team. They would embarrass Fulton in spectacular fashion
So I guess Fulton had nothing to do with the turnovers??

And this is based on what? How many teams did you see play and how many times?
I've seen them all play at least once if not a couple times. I'm not trying to discredit Fulton they are awesome no doubt! Best team in 4a obviously and possibly better than any 5a team ( I think henry co. and Knox west could go either way) but the guy saying best team in any class is crazy!

So I guess Fulton had nothing to do with the turnovers??

They sure did, like I said they were the better team but Giles was hanging with them and Fulton started hanging their heads when the going got tough. In my opinion the going would get tough early for Fulton vs these teams and the ones I mentioned would take the game over and not look back...Giles just didnt have the athletes that they have.

What are you mainlining? Struggled with Giles? If not for, and if only, seems to be your strong suit. Giles simply played a crappy game in the second half, playing like they were coached, just like the previous season when FHS kicked their butts after they were ranked #1 most, or all of the season. Quit making excuses. And, "who knows how the game would have turned out? If a frog had wings it would fly! We know how the game DID turn out and it was 54-14. When FHS returns to Cookeville again, they surely are hoping they get to play Covington or Giles again. It is easier against poorly prepared teams.

Last edited:
Central's 1991 team was also really good, but not undefeated. Todd Helton was the quarterback, and they had a running back named Kippy Bayless, who would go on to break most of MTSU's rushing records. They blew out every team they played until the semifinals, when they lost to Lincoln County at Neyland Stadium.

Austin-East was 15-0 in 1988, I think, but I don't remember them being as dominant as this year's Fulton squad.

Your right. They weren't as dominant because Central always played top notch competition. Fulton played Gibbs, Rutledge, Union County, Kingston! Central played Maryville, Powell, Greenville, Farragut, West, etc. Not to mention McCallie and going to Kentucky a couple of times. Give Central Fulton's schedule over the years and Central would have 4 or 5 State titles easily

This reminds me of the saying where there are two things you don't get into a discussion about (especially when you're drinking):
religion and politics.
I think a third has been added.:)
GO VOLS!

Do you get out of Maryville much??? Lol

VN Store

Back