Kilgore leaving Powell for Karns

jps2194

Vol for Life
Truly unbelievable, but Powell will have their 4th head coach in 4 years. Kilgore is leaving Powell for Karns. Way to quit on the kids Kilgore!

Honestly, I'm glad to see him go. He was in over his head and it was fairly obvious. However, I'm still shocked to see him do this. After all the b.s. he said about being there for the kids and they come first, he makes a selfish decision and leaves.

He's taking the majority of the defensive staff with him. Grove (D.C.), Mynatt (LB coach) and Garrison Jackson (DB coach). There may be others.

Who knows what we will do this time. We have yet another new athletic director this year, so your guess is as good as mine.

It's really sad for the kids. Hopefully we'll bring in a great coach and clean up this mess.

Last edited:
Truly unbelievable, but Powell will have their 4th head coach in 4 years. Kilgore is leaving Powell for Karns. Way to quit on the kids Kilgore!

Honestly, I'm glad to see him go. He was in over his head and it was fairly obvious. However, I'm still shocked to see him do this. After all the b.s. he said about being there for the kids and they come first, he makes a selfish decision and leaves.

He's taking the majority of the defensive staff with him. Grove (D.C.), Mynatt (LB coach) and Garrison Jackson (DB coach). There may be others.

Who knows what we will do this time. We have yet another new athletic director this year, so your guess is as good as mine.

It's really said for the kids. Hopefully we'll bring in a great coach and clean up this mess.
This is a college board not an insider Knoxville HS board. No body cares and it has no place on this board.

He wants to be an AD so this is a career move for him. That being said, Karns football will not see much improvement although Karns will have some of the best talent they have had in years.

He told the team he was moving because the pay is better and gives his family more opportunities. Then teared up and abruptly left the room.

The "real story" is the AD was not happy with his performance at all and was placing a lot of parameters regarding discipline and grades. Kilgore and our AD were not seeing eye to eye on the changes and Kilgore decided to leave.

Kilgore was a fool at Central and at Powell and he'll be a fool at Karns. He went back to his buttbuddy Charlie Sheets at Karns and thus will run a struggling program into the ground completely. I feel bad for Karns players and supporters. I will tell you Karns ppl the same i told JPS, Kilgore cant coach an 8th grade team, much less high school. He has a fetish with his defenses running Man Coverage 90% of games and he has no identity or knowledge of Offense. Me being a Central guy, I was glad he left Central. I feel bad for you Karns, I really do:unsure:

The bigger question is why are coaches leaving after only 1 year? Seems to me that the Powell job would be one of the more attractive jobs in the area.

Reactions: 4 people
He wants to be an AD so this is a career move for him. That being said, Karns football will not see much improvement although Karns will have some of the best talent they have had in years.

Try some of the best talent they have had in decades, not merely years. Karns had a 6-5 record in 2011, the first winning season since 1974, when they went 6-4. They did manage 5-5 records in 2005, 1975 and 1978. Karns may have the worst overall W-L record in Knox County in the last half-century. So, Kilgore won't be able to do much worse, if any, damage to Karns program.

Try some of the best talent they have had in decades, not merely years. Karns had a 6-5 record in 2011, the first winning season since 1974, when they went 6-4. They did manage 5-5 records in 2005, 1975 and 1978. Karns may have the worst overall W-L record in Knox County in the last half-century. So, Kilgore won't be able to do much worse, if any, damage to Karns program.
He will probably look like a hero because Karns does indeed have more talent than I've seen in a long time. I sincerely hope, however, that Powell beats Karns like a drum :dance2:

The bigger question is why are coaches leaving after only 1 year? Seems to me that the Powell job would be one of the more attractive jobs in the area.
Rang was fired by Knox County for improper test administration - so we can't really count that one. I'm really perplexed by Kilgore leaving, but have heard he and the AD are not seeing eye to eye.

We got Lane Kiffined.

VN Store

Back