Tips for Cookeville trip for State Championship Games

jps2194

Vol for Life
Thought I would share some tips for those of you going to Cookeville for the state championship game if you haven't been to Cookeville. I went to TTU and although that was a long time ago, some things haven't changed.

First, the traffic is going to be terrible on Jefferson or Willow Ave. If you are coming from Knoxville (or east of Cookeville), I highly recommend taking exit 290 Hwy 70N which is two exits before Willow Ave and will bypass all of the traffic.

Once you exit, you have two routes you can take. You can stay on 70 N which will put you close to campus. Turn right on Jefferson / Washington and this will take you straight to the campus. Or, you can go North on 111 which will bypass all of the traffic and "downtown" Cookeville. If you take 111, take the 1st exit E 10th street / 336 NE and turn left. This will basically dead-end at the campus as well.

As far as restaurants go, Cookeville has all of the basics (fast food, chains, etc.). However, I highly recommend Bobby-Q's which is a locally owned barbecue restaurant. It's located .5 miles from campus at the corner of E 10th and Washington. Avoid anytime between 6 and 8 PM as it gets very crowded.

If you have time and haven't seen the Tech campus previously, take some time to look around. It's a beautiful campus.

Enjoy your trip and good luck to the Knoxville area teams - let's bring home the title.

Reactions: 4 people
Great recommendation on Bobby Q's but they recently moved to 428 E Broad St. Just a heads up for anyone looking to go.

I'll add that taking Exit 288 (Highway 111) to 10th Street will be the best strait shot coming from the east. Exit 286 (Willow Avenue) is still the best route if you're coming from the west, traffic and all.

Also, Bobby Q's has moved to 428 E Broad Street, which is just east of the square. I'm not sure why they moved (takes away from the nostalgia they had at the old place), but if you go, get the fruit tea, catfish, and banana puddin'. All the chain sit-down restaurant places are down on Interstate Drive between Jefferson and Willow Avenues.

If you want an out-of-the way coffee shop, Poet's on the Square is my choice. It's on Broad Street just west of the square.

Great recommendation on Bobby Q's but they recently moved to 428 E Broad St. Just a heads up for anyone looking to go.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they moved. I ate there two years ago at the old location.

Is the new location bigger - I hope so :)

The catfish is great, but I can't resist the barbecue and curly fries.

The banana pudding and tea is a must have.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they moved. I ate there two years ago at the old location.

Is the new location bigger - I hope so :)

The catfish is great, but I can't resist the barbecue and curly fries.

The banana pudding and tea is a must have.

The new location is smaller. Parking is scarce. It moved in where the restaurant Made With Love used to be. Get there early for a good spot!

The new location is smaller. Parking is scarce. It moved in where the restaurant Made With Love used to be. Get there early for a good spot!
Wow, the old place was small. I guess the lease ran out and he had to find a new place.

Agree with Bobby Q's. Spankies and House of Thai, both across the street from TTU campus, are also really good, and both have good beer selections.

If you have trouble finding a parking space at TTU, there is a small parking lot behind the engineering quad buildings (Clement Hall, Prescott Hall, Bruner Hall and Brown Hall) that is sort of hidden and often remains nearly empty, even if the adjacent lots are packed. The signs say "Faculty Parking Only," but anyone can park there after 4:30pm or on weekends. It's also outside the parking fee zone.

Also, remember the time zone change from EST to CST (Cookeville is an hour behind East Tennessee).

Reactions: 1 person
Cookeville may be a nice town, and TTU a good University, but about the worst place in the State to host State Championship games, considering the choices. Doesnt make "cents" to me, but I guess for the TSSAA its all about the dollars.

Cookeville may be a nice town, and TTU a good University, but about the worst place in the State to host State Championship games, considering the choices. Doesnt make "cents" to me, but I guess for the TSSAA its all about the dollars.

MTSU is the best place to have the state game !!!!

Curious why you think it is the worst place? Is it because of location and proximity for Western schools? I think lodging is fine, restaurants are fine and the field and stadiums is definitely good for the games.

1.Participating schools will sell tickets 25% off the gate price.
2. Rain ware or umbrella will come in handy.
3.Drive safely and good luck to your team.

dress warm,,,,you can take a layer off if needed,,,and MTSU is the middle of the state

I will throw in Crawdaddy's as a place to get some good food and frosty beverage.
Go Alcoa.

Ahh yes ... the TSSAA championships ... every TTU student's favorite part of the fall semester. Increased traffic, increased volume of people roaming around campus, and worse parking than usual, which is saying something because parking is already terrible here.

That being said, I don't mind it. I get here early-ish every day anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. But the above paragraph is generally how most TTU students will feel come Thursday and Friday. Complaints rain down every year at this time, it's just the norm. For those coming, be prepared to get some nasty looks or comments your way, although I think most of the students should and will keep it to themselves.

Enjoy our campus, it's nothing like UT but it's alright. Has a small homey feel. Our casa es su casa.

Cookeville is a nice town if you like to eat. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. Not much else though.

Save travels to everyone coming here, good luck to your team(s).

Last edited:
Ahh yes ... the TSSAA championships ... every TTU student's favorite part of the fall semester. Increased traffic, increased volume of people roaming around campus, and worse parking than usual, which is saying something because parking is already terrible here.

That being said, I don't mind it. I get here early-ish every day anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. But the above paragraph is generally how most TTU students will feel come Thursday and Friday. Complaints rain down every year at this time, it's just the norm. For those coming, be prepared to get some nasty looks or comments your way, although I think most of the students should and will keep it to themselves.

Enjoy our campus, it's nothing like UT but it's alright. Has a small homey feel. Our casa es su casa.

Cookeville is a nice town if you like to eat. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. Not much else though.

Save travels to everyone coming here, good luck to your team(s).
When I went to TTU we used to host high school cheerleading camps. I can tell you that I always looked forward to that time of year :)

As mentioned CrawDaddy's is very good. Also, Char on the square, Mauricio's on Peachtree, Cooke House on the Square (same owner as Char), Father Tom's Pub just off broad going towards campus, Stroud's on Spring Street (BBQ Nachos are AWESOME) much better BBQ than Bobby Q's IMHO, all local or not chain food. Also, have El Tapatio and Cinco Amigos that are both good Mexican.
Don't Forget Ralph's Doughnuts and Cream City. Both are close to campus.

Hope you all have a good trip and enjoy the games.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back