Maryville 12 defeat Blackman 11

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Uncharacteristically, the Blaze (11-3), who were flagged for 71 yards on 11 penalties in the loss, suffered nine of those penalties in the first half of the school's first-ever state semifinals appearance.
"It really put us behind the chains a bunch," Blackman coach Philip Shadowens said. "They're a good defense. You don't want to be behind the chains a bunch against those guys. We got behind the chains because of penalties in the first half and we kind of took our momentum away."
Most of the team's penalties were pre-snap penalties on the offense, including two on the team's first offensive series before it ever took an official offensive snap. And of the team's nine first-half flags, eight of them were of the illegal procedure variety and were either the result of false starts or illegal formations.
"They said we were lining up offsides," Shadowens said. "Maybe we were. That's something we usually don't do.

Well, in Utfantilidie opinion, at least we know now why Maryville has such a great record year after year yet rarely ever sends anyone on to play in college.:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
Despite the loss, Blackman outgained Maryville 353-338 in total yards, which includes 226 yards on the ground for the Blaze.

OP is saying Maryville has the refs on their side, hence the explanation for their winning all those games.

I'm no Maryville fan (Actually an old THS Viking) and didn't see the game so may be wrong, but from the tone it sounds a little like sour grapes and a little homer for the other team IMO. Just sayin.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, in Utfantilidie opinion, at least we know now why Maryville has such a great record year after year yet rarely ever sends anyone on to play in college.:crazy:
Yep, that's why Maryville is appearing in the state title game 10 years in a row. It's all because of the refs. :loco:

Reactions: 6 people
Yep, that's why Maryville is appearing in the state title game 10 years in a row. It's all because of the refs. :loco:

I don't understand how someone is so stupid to think that a team gets home cooking in the playoffs. Fulton has played at home every game in the playoffs and has had well over 100 yards in penalties the last 3 games. You don't get a local crew to call your game in the playoffs. For all we know the crew that called the Maryville/ Blackman game could have been from the Boro.

I don't understand how someone is so stupid to think that a team gets home cooking in the playoffs. Fulton has played at home every game in the playoffs and has had well over 100 yards in penalties the last 3 games. You don't get a local crew to call your game in the playoffs. For all we know the crew that called the Maryville/ Blackman game could have been from the Boro.
I'm sure he's bitter after the loss and is venting. Powell has had their fair share of bad calls during our playoff run and while frustrating and definitely kills drives, I can't say it really decided the outcome of the game. I don't believe that was the case here either based on the final score. Of course, I wasn't there so I'm merely speculating.

Anyone care to share an un-biased opinion who was at the game. Of course, an un-biased opinion may be difficult to find :)

Maybe OP didn't read the part about pre-snap penalties. Calling false starts and illegal formations isn't an indicator of home cooking. It's an indicator of a nervous team making stupid mistakes against a team that doesn't make stupid mistakes.

OP is trolling.

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like Blackman wasn't disciplined in the first qtr. Saying Maryville keeps winning because of the refs is laughable (state game last year). Props go where they are due and its to Maryville.

I was at the game. The penalties were costly but not why Blackman lost. Maryville is a great team. They few if any mistakes. Blackman had 2 very untimely Ints that led to Maryville scoring 14 points. That and coaching were the difference.

As for the refs, they were flagging Blackman for lining up offside. It happened 4 times on the goaline. The Blaze still scored so Im not blaming the refs for this loss. Better team won.

Congrats Maryville.

I'm just messing with you guys. Hats off to Maryville. Two of my sons graduated Maryville College so I really do like Maryville unless they are playing my Smyrna bulldogs.:)

Sounds like Blackman wasn't disciplined in the first qtr. Saying Maryville keeps winning because of the refs is laughable (state game last year). Props go where they are due and its to Maryville.

Admitting Maryville has a recruiting advantage would be a start. See where Riverdale is after Rankin couldn't recruit anymore and left.

Admitting Maryville has a recruiting advantage would be a start. See where Riverdale is after Rankin couldn't recruit anymore and left.

Rankin was/is certainly an opportunist. He could see he was dead in the water at Riverdale after his last title, so he looked around for the best opportunity, ego being what it is, and lo and behold, the Alcoa job became available. A job tailor made for an opportunist like Rankin. But, he will never, ever be in a class with George Quarles, or other good coaches who have stiffer competition to get to the title game.

Rankin was/is certainly an opportunist. He could see he was dead in the water at Riverdale after his last title, so he looked around for the best opportunity, ego being what it is, and lo and behold, the Alcoa job became available. A job tailor made for an opportunist like Rankin. But, he will never, ever be in a class with George Quarles, or other good coaches who have stiffer competition to get to the title game.
This Alcoa fan concurs.

I'm sure home cooking happens in the playoffs, but it's generally because high school officials suck.

Recruiting? Link?

From knowing both areas, to an extent, in Rutherford County you must attend the school in which you're zoned for. For example, if you're living in Riverdale's zone, you must go to Riverdale. You cannot pay a tuition fee, the only exemptions include Oakland's IB Program, and if you have a family member attending the school you wish to go to. From what I've been told, in Blount County, the student and their family are assigned a zone to Alcoa or Maryville, although they may choose where to go to school with a tuition fee. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's my only understanding of anyone saying Maryville recruits their players. :hi:

From knowing both areas, to an extent, in Rutherford County you must attend the school in which you're zoned for. For example, if you're living in Riverdale's zone, you must go to Riverdale. You cannot pay a tuition fee, the only exemptions include Oakland's IB Program, and if you have a family member attending the school you wish to go to. From what I've been told, in Blount County, the student and their family are assigned a zone to Alcoa or Maryville, although they may choose where to go to school with a tuition fee. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's my only understanding of anyone saying Maryville recruits their players. :hi:

If you live in Blount County you are zoned for Heritage or William Blount. If you lived in the city of Maryville and paid city taxes, you went to Maryville. If you lived in Alcoa, you went to Alcoa. I was zoned for Heritage but my parents paid tuition to go to Alcoa through the fourth grade and then paid tuition to go to Maryville from then until I moved into the city limits as a Sophomore. Maryville entirely quit taking tuition students when I was either an eighth grader or a Freshman due to overcrowding (the number of students in the school had gotten to miserable numbers). I graduated in 2009, so I'm not sure what their policy has been since they moved the 9th graders out of the highschool and into the junior high

just to clarify one more time, no one is really "assigned" a zone for Alcoa or Maryville. You either live in their city limits or you don't. Only William Blount and Heritage are zoned by the county, and occasionally the zones are redrawn to accommodate student numbers.

Sorry if that didn't make sense the first time

VN Store

Back