Henry County headed to Cookeville!

Volunteer forever

Realistic Fan
(Article from Paris Post Intelligencer)

HCHS will return to state championship game

Pariots make themselves at home in Eagles' nest
By TOMMY PRIDDY, Post-Intelligencer
Published: Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:26 AM CST
District 10-AAA was guaranteed to send a team to the Class 5A state championship game in Cookeville and after four quarters of semifinal play, the Henry County High School Patriots won that berth.

The Patriots pinned a 43-14 loss on the Northeast High School Eagles in Clarksville Friday night to earn the team's second berth to BlueCross Bowl in three years. The Patriots defeated Powell 17-14 to win the Class 5A state championship in 2011.

Henry County earned a return trip by controlling a physical battle at Northeast. The Eagles jumped in front 7-0 on Dontavious Fort-Merriweather's 67-yard run in first quarter but the Patriots slammed the door on Northeast after that.

The door was closed so tightly that the Eagles finished with just 36 yards rushing for the contest. That was a loss of 31 yards after Fort-Merriweather's scoring run. Fort-Merriweather also scored on a 5-yard pass in the fourth quarter.

Henry County got a three- touchdown, 121 yard performance from junior runner Nathaniel Godbott. Junior Chase Henderson ran for 54 yards and a score while another junior runner R'tario Perkins added a touchdown run.

Senior Colton Randolph threw a 9-yard pass to senior receiver Brandon Donaldson to round out the Patriots' touchdowns.

Senior linebacker Dennis Tharpe junior had a strong game with 10 tackles, three quarterback sacks and a fumble recovery. Sophomore linebacker Tanner Beasley had 11 tackles.

Henry County will meet Knoxville West next Friday at 7 p.m. in the Class 5A state championship game in Cookeville. West stopped Cleveland 49-14 in the semifinals.

Look for more details on the Patriots big win at Northeast and the state playoffs in Monday's Post-Intelligencer.

Last edited:
West, Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, and Webb could all win titles! Is the rest of the state doing something wrong?

According to one former post, "out in the middle of nowhere." In West Tennessee.

Go, Knoxville West H.S.!

"out in the middle of nowhere" happens to be home for me, and allot of other people for that matter. It also happens to be home to some of the greatest hunting and fishing in the state of TN. If your in to that sort of thing. Dont knock it till youve been there and experienced it for yourself.

Reactions: 1 person
"out in the middle of nowhere" happens to be home for me, and allot of other people for that matter. It also happens to be home to some of the greatest hunting and fishing in the state of TN. If your in to that sort of thing. Dont knock it till youve been there and experienced it for yourself.

The "out in the middle of nowhere" comment was made by someone from HC, not elsewhere. Go back and read the posts!

West, Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, and Webb could all win titles! Is the rest of the state doing something wrong?

It is a very good year for Knoxville, but make no mistake, West will have to earn it next Friday.

In all likelihood, HC will be the best team West has faced since Maryville. I could see either team winning, but I doubt it will be an easy out either way. And I'm a pretty objective fan. HC is no stranger to playing against speed, and they're pretty disciplined and opportunistic in all 3 phases of the game.

As for the other four games, I do expect a very good weekend for the Knoxville area. Maryville will slaughter Hendersonville. Fulton should take home the gold fairly easily, and I don't even know who the heck Alcoa and Webb are playing against. Advantage: Alcoa and Webb.

Alcoa competing in 3a playoffs is a joke. You really think the rest of the state just sucks so bad that they blow everyone out year after year for almost a decade. The only team that could beat them was a private school and we all know what it boils down to. Deny it or not they get athletes that "move there" because they wanna play winning football.

It is a very good year for Knoxville, but make no mistake, West will have to earn it next Friday.

In all likelihood, HC will be the best team West has faced since Maryville. I could see either team winning, but I doubt it will be an easy out either way. And I'm a pretty objective fan. HC is no stranger to playing against speed, and they're pretty disciplined and opportunistic in all 3 phases of the game.

As for the other four games, I do expect a very good weekend for the Knoxville area. Maryville will slaughter Hendersonville. Fulton should take home the gold fairly easily, and I don't even know who the heck Alcoa and Webb are playing against. Advantage: Alcoa and Webb.

Alcoa gets CPA. Not an easy task. They beat Giles county 38-10 (Giles is in the 4a championship game Friday). Giles only other loss is to ensworth. Also CPA has that private school edge. I hate to rant about it but it gets annoying seeing them in every sport championship. Move to the private division. Friendship Christian was winning state every year. Moved to private this year and out they went in the first round.

Alcoa competing in 3a playoffs is a joke. You really think the rest of the state just sucks so bad that they blow everyone out year after year for almost a decade. The only team that could beat them was a private school and we all know what it boils down to. Deny it or not they get athletes that "move there" because they wanna play winning football.

Hmmmmm, probably not true because before a family(s) would move to Alcoa, the breadwinner(s) would have to have a decent job and the Aluminum Company of America is the only real substantive, sizable employer in Alcoa. Further, that would have to happen each and every year, so that isn't likely.

hmmm.... that over-the-river-and-through-the-woods-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere school is Class 5-A State Champs Again....

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back