Marion County

CagleMtnVol

Anyone else following this?? What started as a motivational prank to fire up the team has went completely off the rails!

Now coaches apparently stole playbooks from rival teams Sequatchie Co. and South Pittsburg prior to games!

Even paid a college player to practice with the team in full uniform!! :blink:

MUST READ FULL ARTICLE::
3 coaches off the job, allegations grow in Marion County football scandal

3 coaches off the job, allegations grow in Marion County football scandal

JASPER, Tenn. -- What started as a ploy to motivate players and humiliate a rival team before a high school football game led to a series of alleged criminal acts and state athletics violations by the Marion County High School football program.

Early Tuesday afternoon a second Marion County High teacher and assistant coach, Joe Dan Gudger, was arrested and charged with the vandalism at the school's football fieldhouse as well as possession of alcohol on school property. Gudger is the second Marion County assistant coach to be charged with vandalism of $1,000-$10,000, following the arrest of Michael Schmitt last Wednesday.

Other allegations that came to light Tuesday include one Marion County assistant breaking into South Pittsburg's fieldhouse to steal play sheets and the coaching staff bringing in a former college player to practice with the team, which isn't permitted under state rules.

TSSAA officials now are questioning whether Marion County should continue to have a football program........

Last edited:
Not Jasper's finest moment. It couldn't be more different than the 90's with Colquitt. How some people get coaching jobs is amazing.

It's a disappointment that this coach had his assistants do that to the team. They all have ruined their careers over a game. I jut wonder how long this coach has done this even while he was at Signal Mtn.

Living in the community and a So. Pittsburg alumnus, there have always been pranks the week of the game, and it was always in fun. Its the states oldest continuing rivalry and part of what makes it so special and intense is that we all have friends and family from "the other side". Its unfortunate that adults take things way too serious and ruin it for the kids that are actually playing the game. These are times that should be some of the best days of their lives and some of their best memories. They have a big game against Trousdale this week, and its looking like they may not even have a coaching staff by the time Friday rolls around.

There seems to be all kinds of crazy twists and turns coming out of this story. The assistant coach that reportedly stole the play sheets from South Pittsburg is a former Pirate QB, and the player they hired to practice is a former Pirate RB.

All of this would've made for an interesting episode of Friday Night Lights.

Living in the community and a So. Pittsburg alumnus, there have always been pranks the week of the game, and it was always in fun. Its the states oldest continuing rivalry and part of what makes it so special and intense is that we all have friends and family from "the other side". Its unfortunate that adults take things way too serious and ruin it for the kids that are actually playing the game. These are times that should be some of the best days of their lives and some of their best memories. They have a big game against Trousdale this week, and its looking like they may not even have a coaching staff by the time Friday rolls around.

I agree I graduated from Marion County and every bad prank I remember being done was by adults. I love the rivalry because it does create a good game but hate the actions of both of our communities when something like this is done and I feel bad for the players both MC and Sp because of the coaches actions. I wish they would put all three schools into one high school because we don't really need 3 schools in this county because as small as all three are would would be a decent 3 a to a small 4a school.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree I graduated from Marion County and every bad prank I remember being done was by adults. I love the rivalry because it does create a good game but hate the actions of both of our communities when something like this is done and I feel bad for the players both MC and Sp because of the coaches actions. I wish they would put all three schools into one high school because we don't really need 3 schools in this county because as small as all three are would would be a decent 3 a to a small 4a school.
I agree about the consolidation, I have been in favor since the first time I heard it mentioned when I was still in school, unfortunately, the same community pride, traditions and success are the same things that will prevent that from ever happening probably. Instead of having one large school with better facilities, better programs, more opportunities and diversity, we will always keep 3 small high schools with run down buildings, very little extracurricular opportunities other than football, basketball and baseball, and a short list of educational opportunities...

I agree about the consolidation, I have been in favor since the first time I heard it mentioned when I was still in school, unfortunately, the same community pride, traditions and success are the same things that will prevent that from ever happening probably. Instead of having one large school with better facilities, better programs, more opportunities and diversity, we will always keep 3 small high schools with run down buildings, very little extracurricular opportunities other than football, basketball and baseball, and a short list of educational opportunities...

That is true. Only if they could get past their pride and think about the students because like you said more money could be put into 3 schools that 6.

The most disturbing thing about this incident is that the vandalism was committed by adults who should be teaching these students about fair play and good sportsmanship. Furthermore these "adults" let the South Pittsburg High students take the blame for their crime, now the MC football program is jeopardized because of the lack of faith these so called coaches had in their players. So what's the lesson, if you can't beat 'em cheat'em? :sad:

That is unfortunately a problem all over the region. It's the same way in Grundy Co. People are more interested in remaining in the stone ages than doing what's best for the future of the kids in the community. They don't want to change or progress, and only want to do what is convenient for themselves. People around here fight against having a county middle school of all things because A.) it would inconvenience some and B.) it would change the way the basketball league has been organized.

Sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees.

Sad how all of those coaches from Marion have acted.

That is true. Only if they could get past their pride and think about the students because like you said more money could be put into 3 schools that 6.

None of these schools are willing to give up their identity, plus the student/teacher ratio would increase. SP and jasper have a total of ten state championships between them so ,there is a tremendous amount of pride. :yes:

None of these schools are willing to give up their identity, plus the student/teacher ratio would increase. SP and jasper have a total of ten state championships between them so ,there is a tremendous amount of pride. :yes:

The identity thing is just an excuse from people. If the consolidate they can create a new identity. I know what it means to be part of the rivalry but now as a parent I can see the better benefit and in actuality the student teacher ratio would decrease in the schools. I know because I am married to one of the teachers and she has 31 students in her room at Jasper while the other two schools don't average that high. You can keep the same amount of teachers and drop the ratio to where is should be according to state rules but when you are funding 6 schools in a small rural county you limit your funds on things that they should be spent on.

Nothing wrong with the facilities at South Pittsburg. The Pirates aren't interested in consolidation; it's all about Pirate Pride ----all over Town. The PIRATES--Are South Pittsburg. NO THANK YOU. We support the Pirates, its up to YALL to follow suit. Talk about a lack of support----just consolidate and watch what happens. Look down the hallways at SPHS---it's Orange and Black Stripes & P's all down the walls. They are serious in South Pitt. OH and Adidas is the apparel sponsor. Not bad for a little ole HS team. By YALL---I meant Jasper and Sequatchie. I know you are a Pirate alum; as am I.

so true ESPNHATEUS, this is a complete mess..Im embarassed as a 07 graduate, that rivalry is special there is absolutely no need for extra encouragement, Im 24 and still hate the pirates...I hope Zig doesnt have to take the fall for these immature acts, Zig is a great man and great educator who sent me in the right direction in high school, I now have a college degree and 4 years of college baseball and that is much in part to Coach Zig

Reactions: 1 person
Nothing wrong with the facilities at South Pittsburg. The Pirates aren't interested in consolidation; it's all about Pirate Pride ----all over Town. The PIRATES--Are South Pittsburg. NO THANK YOU. We support the Pirates, its up to YALL to follow suit. Talk about a lack of support----just consolidate and watch what happens. Look down the hallways at SPHS---it's Orange and Black Stripes & P's all down the walls. They are serious in South Pitt. OH and Adidas is the apparel sponsor. Not bad for a little ole HS team. By YALL---I meant Jasper and Sequatchie. I know you are a Pirate alum; as am I.

Well the head man at Marion Co, (Jasper) has resigned. Dang, this thing got WAY outta hand. All because MCHS wanted to whip South Pittsburg SO BADLY------------my my. BTW-------Pittsburg won again.

This is what I am talking about it is either oh MC is the best or Pirate Pride. It's crazy that all you car about is the football when yes it would get better if we do consolidate because you would have all the best from both schools to play and we could have better facilities because we aren't pouring money into 9 schools in our county. I am an 01 graduate from MC and a Warrior till I die but this is about crazy in our community.

for those of you close to the area...what happens to the playoff game?

for those of you close to the area...what happens to the playoff game?

Right now Marion is still able to play the stiff game but they haven't announced it assistant coach Larry Richards or Principle Larry Zeigler will be interim head coach.

Marion County head football coach Mac McCurry resigns

Marion County head football coach Mac McCurry resigns

JASPER, Tenn. — Mac McCurry has resigned as head football coach at Marion County High School, effective immediately, according to school superintendent Mark Griffith.

McCurry requested a meeting with Griffith and school principal Larry Ziegler at around 11:30 a.m. (Eastern) and the three men met to discuss the future of the program, following a barrage of allegations involving McCurry and several Marion assistants.

“Mr. Ziegler told me that Coach McCurry wanted to meet regarding the incident that came out in today's paper,” Griffith said. “When we met, Coach McCurry said he felt it was in the best interest of the program for him to separate himself from the program.”

Griffith added that a decision will be made later today on whether Ziegler, a former MCHS player and assistant coach, or current assistant Larry Richards will take over as interim coach as the Warriors prepare for Friday's Class 2A quarterfinal playoff game at second-ranked Trousdale County.

Anyone else following this?? What started as a motivational prank to fire up the team has went completely off the rails!

Now coaches apparently stole playbooks from rival teams Sequatchie Co. and South Pittsburg prior to games!

Even paid a college player to practice with the team in full uniform!! :blink:

i saw this on the news last week.what bunch of idiots.

VN Store

Back