TSSAA stupid Playoff system

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Putting Oakland vs Blackman this Friday night is bad enough both ranked high in state and then the winner probably meets Maryville the Nov.29th. Anyone that follows high school ball knows that the real state champion comes from that game. PERIOD.

:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
I personally think that Maryville is the best team in the state

Possible, but Oakland has simply pounded every opponent this year. Ensworth is a bit down, but they would be right up there if they weren't in the private school division. I'd love to see Maryville vs. Oakland.

One of my friends coaches at Riverdale. He and I were talking about this the other day. He said the TSSAA will try to get the biggest gate draws in the first 3 rounds no matter rankings.

All about money. Not a true playoff.

Possible, but Oakland has simply pounded every opponent this year. Ensworth is a bit down, but they would be right up there if they weren't in the private school division. I'd love to see Maryville vs. Oakland.

Not Blackman. Believe the score was 9-3 (I think). This game will be huge Friday.

Have you had the chance to see Fulton play? If not check them out if you can. I think they could play with just about anybody in the state. I haven't got to see Oakland play but I heard they are a solid team.

Like last year

basically, yeah. I'm not saying they aren't unbeatable. I'm just saying that any betting individual should be picking maryville until their decade+ run of success ends.

disclaimer: if anyone actually bets on high school football then they have a problem

basically, yeah. I'm not saying they aren't unbeatable. I'm just saying that any betting individual should be picking maryville until their decade+ run of success ends.

disclaimer: if anyone actually bets on high school football then they have a problem

Can you bet on HS sports? If so, thats bad.

Maryville lost in the championship game last year. That's what I was saying.

Blackman or Oakland one should have been the 1 seed in the N. Overton region and the other should be the 1 seed in their region. Both were ranked in the top 5 all year and are probably 2 of the best 3 teams in the state. The biggest question is why are all the Murfreesboro teams in the same region of the bracket?

Can you bet on HS sports? If so, thats bad.

Maryville lost in the championship game last year. That's what I was saying.

haha behind closed doors i suppose you can.

and yeah I got that. I guess explicitly what I was trying to say is that at the beginning of each season you sould still have to assume their gonna win the title that year as long as they have George Quarles. Since he's been there theyve won state more than 50% of the time and they are 2/4 so far in 6A

Blackman or Oakland one should have been the 1 seed in the N. Overton region and the other should be the 1 seed in their region. Both were ranked in the top 5 all year and are probably 2 of the best 3 teams in the state. The biggest question is why are all the Murfreesboro teams in the same region of the bracket?

They're all in the same bracket because you are seeded by region/district/whatever terminology they use. That's why all the east tennessee teams play each other in earlier playoff games. same with west tennessee

Reactions: 2 people
They're all in the same bracket because you are seeded by region/district/whatever terminology they use. That's why all the east tennessee teams play each other in earlier playoff games. same with west tennessee

That's a stupid system. I know it's about money, but teams should be seeded by rankings.

That's a stupid system. I know it's about money, but teams should be seeded by rankings.

I think the idea is that they dont want to make kids/schools have to pay the money for their team to travel 3-6 hours for a playoff game. What if Farragut matched up with white station in round one? and then with collierville in round 2?

I think the idea is that they dont want to make kids/schools have to pay the money for their team to travel 3-6 hours for a playoff game. What if Farragut matched up with white station in round one? and then with collierville in round 2?

Then Farragut should have played better during the season to earn home field. That's the way it used to be. I can remember going to Oak Ridge for semi game as a player at Oakland in the 80's. We earned home field until that game (beat Jerry Colquit). How is it fair to these teams like Oakland, Blackman, and Maryville that all but one will be eliminated before the finals? They are the 3 best teams in the state.

Its really hard do believe what George Quarles does
Yr in and yr out. He losses good players every yr and just stock piles them up the next yr. I would really like to see a Fulton vs Maryville matchup that would be a awesome gm.

Then Farragut should have played better during the season to earn home field. That's the way it used to be. I can remember going to Oak Ridge for semi game as a player at Oakland in the 80's. We earned home field until that game (beat Jerry Colquit). How is it fair to these teams like Oakland, Blackman, and Maryville that all but one will be eliminated before the finals? They are the 3 best teams in the state.

if this were a college playoff, i'd agree. high school football should not be taken that seriously.

For any team in east tennessee to travel out to west tennessee (and vice versa) they would have to miss a half day of school or more to make the trip (including the band if they go). That could potentially be three missed days of school in three weeks, which would put you pretty far behind. the kid's parents would have to take off work to see them, which is significant financially for most families. A lot of kids quit playing sports the day they graduate, so having mom and dad miss a game is pretty significant. the vast majority of the students also wouldnt be able to see the team play, which just sucks from a purely emtional standpoint. financially, it would cost a ton of money to send a school across the state potentially three weekends in a row, and a lot of schools probably couldnt pay to do that.

it would also be next to impossible to seed like that because tie breakers would be totally nonsensical. a lot of teams finish with 1-3 losses, but its really hard to compare those losses when you share 0 similar opponents with someone you're compared to. so you would have to move to something arbitrary like points scored, which is also ridiculous because you might be compared to someone who played a cupcake schedule and put up 40 a game.

basically you run into the problem that the BCS ran into

if this were a college playoff, i'd agree. high school football should not be taken that seriously.

For any team in east tennessee to travel out to west tennessee (and vice versa) they would have to miss a half day of school or more to make the trip (including the band if they go). That could potentially be three missed days of school in three weeks, which would put you pretty far behind. the kid's parents would have to take off work to see them, which is significant financially for most families. A lot of kids quit playing sports the day they graduate, so having mom and dad miss a game is pretty significant. the vast majority of the students also wouldnt be able to see the team play, which just sucks from a purely emtional standpoint. financially, it would cost a ton of money to send a school across the state potentially three weekends in a row, and a lot of schools probably couldnt pay to do that.

I agree with you. That would make it hard on a lot of people tryin to go 4or5 hrs away from home to watch a ballgame.

Incorrect. Ravenwood and Independence are in the same district, but in different regions of the bracket. Ravenwood somehow managed to get a 2 seed and host 3 seed Blackman even though their strength of schedule this season was nowhere near the same.

As far back as I can remember, which is late 70's or so, ( graduated in '82 from Lincoln County High School), the playoffs have always been bracketed by districts and regions. I don't recall that they have ever been by ranking.
The new system (implemented about 5 years ago) uses a complicated formula to determine seeding and uses 4 quads to group the teams. I live in Giles Co now and we have been in quad 3 twice and in quad 2 3 times.
I don't like it either. Usually the best teams are from the midstate or east and they usually have to play each other before the finals. I think thats why a lot of the championship games are blowouts.

I personally think the game this weekend between Greenville and Fulton is the real 4A title Game.

We played Ensworth this year. If Fulton (which put us out last year in the semi's) is a good as they were last year they would beat Ensworth. Ensworth does not have a good passing game and Fulton could shut down the run I think.

Reactions: 2 people
Incorrect. Ravenwood and Independence are in the same district, but in different regions of the bracket. Ravenwood somehow managed to get a 2 seed and host 3 seed Blackman even though their strength of schedule this season was nowhere near the same.

yeah when i used the term region/district i just meant that there is an attempt to keep schools within the same geographical area so they aren't traveling 6 hours away to play a game. i dont really keep up with the terminology the tssaa uses or the exact science to their seeding.

VN Store

Back