Sad Day for Powell Football

jps2194

Vol for Life
I have no idea what our AD Cantrell is doing. Last year he gives the reigns to one of the top programs in the state to someone who has never been a head coach before. Although Rang did a good job, we see how that ended.

Now he hires another coordinator with zero HC experience and from the comments I've heard so far, he is not respected at Central as a good coach. I don't understand why we aren't hiring someone who has previous HC experience.

We HAD a fantastic coordinator in Hawkins (defensive) and he did not get the opportunity to move into the HC role. I just cannot understand this. Hawkins was an outstanding defensive coordinator and our defense was stellar the last few years.

As you can imagine, Hawkins became fed up with being overlooked yet again and has now resigned and gone to Farragut in a lesser role.

Now we've lost our head coach, defensive coordinator, linebacker's coach (who was the head defensive coach on the field while Hawkins was in the box).

I'm not happy with Cantrell as AD at all. Very poor decision making and has now left our program in a mess. :cray:

This is a ut site correct and not to sound like a a$$ but if Powell was a top program in the state they would have no problem getting a a coach with that has had plenty of head coaching experience.

Jps. Allow me to shed some light in this for you. Without using Central bias as well. Tobi Kilgore was our defensive coordinator since the Hassell guy has been there. In 2 seasons, he decided to try to run 3 DIFFERENT Defenses( 1st yr: 4-2-5, last yr: 4-3, 3-4). After watching closely, you will notice that his secondary is in man coverage 90% of the time. He also choose to run man in the AC gm last year, even when AC threw a Hail Mary late in the gm to try to win the game. AC did complete the pass for a 50 yd gain, but thank god our safety was quick enough to catch the receiver. I can't agree with you more when you say this is a terrible hire. Now you see how Central fans felt when our AD hired Hassell, and he brought that staff of almost all Halls guys with him. If I were ya'll, be aware of Kilgore bringing in more Halls guys with him. Its kinda sad and you'll agree with me, Since when did people from Halls know anything about football anyway?:no:

This is a ut site correct and not to sound like a a$$ but if Powell was a top program in the state they would have no problem getting a a coach with that has had plenty of head coaching experience.

This is also the thread for TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS.....so quit your little *****ing and leave the OP alone....this is exactly what this thread is for....

Reactions: 1 person

First, this is the high school sports section so I have no idea what your comment about a UT site means.

Secondly, we are a top program in the state and we had plenty of interest but our AD is an idiot.

And finally, you are an ASS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Jps. Allow me to shed some light in this for you. Without using Central bias as well. Tobi Kilgore was our defensive coordinator since the Hassell guy has been there. In 2 seasons, he decided to try to run 3 DIFFERENT Defenses( 1st yr: 4-2-5, last yr: 4-3, 3-4). After watching closely, you will notice that his secondary is in man coverage 90% of the time. He also choose to run man in the AC gm last year, even when AC threw a Hail Mary late in the gm to try to win the game. AC did complete the pass for a 50 yd gain, but thank god our safety was quick enough to catch the receiver. I can't agree with you more when you say this is a terrible hire. Now you see how Central fans felt when our AD hired Hassell, and he brought that staff of almost all Halls guys with him. If I were ya'll, be aware of Kilgore bringing in more Halls guys with him. Its kinda sad and you'll agree with me, Since when did people from Halls know anything about football anyway?:no:

Thanks for the insight. I'm very worried especially since our def coordinator resigned. Lets hope he doesn't bring any Halls coaches. If so, we will move our son to another team, LOL.

For example Jps. Central hired Joe Hassell(Halls). He then brought in Tobi Kilgore(Halls), Dustin Mynatt(Halls), Chris McGill(Halls), Kevin Waggoner(Halls). This is what im warning you and the Powell fan base of. Ask any person associated with the Central program, Halls people have taken over up there. Beware of it happening at Powell. Oh, and if you want, you could send your kid to Central! haha, Just a suggestion.:eek:k:

Thanks for the insight. I'm very worried especially since our def coordinator resigned. Lets hope he doesn't bring any Halls coaches. If so, we will move our son to another team, LOL.

Jps, The Central/Powell game was great. Even tho Central won, Powell has alot of talent and a bright future. However, you see now what I was warning you of with Kilgore, hes just not a good coach. I feel bad for your kid and the Powell players, they are being coached by a fool. Go Bobcats!

This is our football program.

tumblr_inline_mjynloPMtE1qz4rgp.gif

Honestly, we are lucky we aren't winless at this point. CAK went for two at the end of the game and almost completed it for the victory.

Karns had us beat, down by 3 with 1:30 to go first and goal on the 3. Two penalties later, it's 4th and goal from the 13 and they don't score.

It's painful to watch. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari and has driven it straight into a Oak Tree. The front-end is now smashed and we're leaking oil all over the highway.

Central looks good and has some great talent. I questioned some of the Central play calls last night, but it worked out for your team in the end.

Last edited:
This is our football program.

tumblr_inline_mjynloPMtE1qz4rgp.gif

Honestly, we are lucky we aren't winless at this point. CAK went for two at the end of the game and almost completed it for the victory.

Karns had us beat, down by 3 with 1:30 to go first and goal on the 3. Two penalties later, it's 4th and goal from the 13 and they don't score.

It's painful to watch. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari and has driven it straight into a Oak Tree. The front-end is now smashed and we're leaking oil all over the highway.

Central looks good and has some great talent. I questioned some of the Central play calls last night, but it worked out for your team in the end.

I understand that you are frustrated with what is going on at Powell but I think you are a little overstated by classifying this team as a Ferrari.

I understand that you are frustrated with what is going on at Powell but I think you are a little overstated by classifying this team as a Ferrari.

Okay, whatever. Pick your car. The point is, our record is below which is incredibly strong - definitely the upper echelon in TN.

2010 - 11-1
2011 - 14-1
2012 - 12-2

That's 4 losses in 3 years, with only 1 loss in the regular season the last 3 years. My point is Kilgore took over a great program and is driving it into the ground. Sorry if you didn't like my analogy.

Okay, whatever. Pick your car. The point is, our record is below which is incredibly strong - definitely the upper echelon in TN.

2010 - 11-1
2011 - 14-1
2012 - 12-2

That's 4 losses in 3 years, with only 1 loss in the regular season the last 3 years. My point is Kilgore took over a great program and is driving it into the ground. Sorry if you didn't like my analogy.

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm not trying to start anything with you but upper echelon teams win state titles. Their are plenty of teams in the state that have similar records over the past 3-4 years like Powell that do not have any titles to show for it. Powell is a good team and a great school but not upper echelon in the state. I would agree they are in the Knoxville area.

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm not trying to start anything with you but upper echelon teams win state titles. Their are plenty of teams in the state that have similar records over the past 3-4 years like Powell that do not have any titles to show for it. Powell is a good team and a great school but not upper echelon in the state. I would agree they are in the Knoxville area.

Whatever. This is stupid. If your only measurement of a great team is state championships, then I have nothing else to say.

My opinion is a team that has won consistently and made deep runs into the playoffs is upper echelon. Not sure how you can say a team that has 1 regular season loss in 3 years is not a top team, but if that offends you, then fine, we are a mid echelon team.
:crazy:

Whatever. This is stupid. If your only measurement of a great team is state championships, then I have nothing else to say.

My opinion is a team that has won consistently and made deep runs into the playoffs is upper echelon. Not sure how you can say a team that has 1 regular season loss in 3 years is not a top team, but if that offends you, then fine, we are a mid echelon team.
:crazy:

Did I say I was offended? If you think your an upper echelon team then you deserve to be mad then. Guess you need to go find someone to give the keys to that Ferrari to!!

Did I say I was offended? If you think your an upper echelon team then you deserve to be mad then. Guess you need to go find someone to give the keys to that Ferrari to!!

You can go away now and argue with someone else about nothing. I'm done wasting my time with someone who has no common sense and no real defensible position.

You just want to argue. First it was the car I picked, then because I said upper echelon. I feel like I'm conversing with a 5 year old.

Last edited:
You can go away now and argue with someone else about nothing. I'm done wasting my time with someone who has no common sense and no real defensible position.

You just want to argue. What's the matter, things not going well at home for you?

First off. I said I wasn't trying to start anything. Second. Home life is great. Third. Dumb A$$. I'm a Fulton fan so even if your Ferrari was coached by Nick Saban you still would have been beaten as bad as you were. And I can defend my comments because Fulton is an upper echelon team. Enjoy the rest of your year!!

Reactions: 2 people
First off. I said I wasn't trying to start anything. Second. Home life is great. Third. Dumb A$$. I'm a Fulton fan so even if your Ferrari was coached by Nick Saban you still would have been beaten as bad as you were. And I can defend my comments because Fulton is an upper echelon team. Enjoy the rest of your year!!

But you did start something arguing about ferrari and upper echelon team. Just because you said "I don't want to start anything" doesn't mean you didn't.

If you can't recognize Powell WAS an outstanding program the last few years and is now heading downwards, you are truly an IDIOT. Yes, Fulton would have beat us, but not that bad. Our defensive scheme is now a joke thanks to our wonderful coaches. Powell has nowhere near the athletes Fulton has, so yes, Saban couldn't have coached us to victory. But, you fail to recognize any points in any of the posts, so this is pointless.

So, go away now and stay out of the Powell thread.

But you did start something arguing about ferrari and upper echelon team. Just because you said "I don't want to start anything" doesn't mean you didn't.

If you can't recognize Powell WAS an outstanding program the last few years and is now heading downwards, you are truly an IDIOT. Yes, Fulton would have beat us, but not that bad. Our defensive scheme is now a joke thanks to our wonderful coaches. Powell has nowhere near the athletes Fulton has, so yes, Saban couldn't have coached us to victory. But, you fail to recognize any points in any of the posts, so this is pointless.

So, go away now and stay out of the Powell thread.

Whatever makes you feel better. Just sad to think you are trying to put this all on coaching. By the way outstanding and upper echelon are two different things. So I will go ahead and stay out of your little doom and gloom post. So sad....

Whatever makes you feel better. Just sad to think you are trying to put this all on coaching. By the way outstanding and upper echelon are two different things. So I will go ahead and stay out of your little doom and gloom post. So sad....
Yes, it is coaching. You shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Were you at the Central game last night?

Coaching would not have made a difference against Fulton, but would have against Central and nearly cost us a game at CAK and Karns. You have no idea what you are talking about and know nothing about Powell.

I was rooting for Fulton - but your arrogant idiotic attitude now makes me hope they lose!

Last edited:
Yes, it is coaching. You shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Were you at the Central game last night?

Coaching would not have made a difference against Fulton, but would have against Central and nearly cost us a game at CAK and Karns. You have no idea what you are talking about and know nothing about Powell.

I was rooting for Fulton - but your arrogant idiotic attitude now makes me hope they lose!

That's real mature of you. Hoping a team loses cause someone disagreed with you? Don't hold your breath there champ cause that's not going to happen! Try backing your team and coaches and quit all the crying!

That's real mature of you. Hoping a team loses cause someone disagreed with you? Don't hold your breath there champ cause that's not going to happen! Try backing your team and coaches and quit all the crying!
I thought you were going away. Or, you must be the type who has to get in the last word.

I hope you experience what we are experiencing and you will be singing a different tune. Easy to say that when your team is stacked. :clapping:

I thought you were going away. Or, you must be the type who has to get in the last word.

I hope you experience what we are experiencing and you will be singing a different tune. Easy to say that when your team is stacked. :clapping:

I have experienced it. I simply disagreed with you and you go off on all this name calling stuff. I told you that I wasn't trying to start anything but u guess that wasn't enough. I can and will stop replying to you but to be honest... Looks like I'm the only one who is commenting. I simply stated that there are a bunch of teams that have great years and don't win it all. That's where I think teams earn the term upper echelon. I'm not downing Powell or anything like that. Calm down...

I am guessing it was not the coaching that helped Powell beat AC correct? Haven't seen you post anything about that game.

Powell's talent overall is down compared to the last several years. All I have seen you do is ***** about coaching.... If I am guessing you are just pissed because your kid is not getting the playing time you think he deserves.

VN Store

Back