Coach Rang resigns from Powell

jps2194

Vol for Life
Well, it looks like my son will have his 3rd coach in 3 years at Powell :banghead2:

Rang officially resigned today. I'm sure he was given a choice by Knox County schools to either resign or get fired due to his stunt during testing.

It's a shame those boys have to go through another change. First we move up in classification and we have another coach - it's going to be an interesting year.

What stunt at what testing? Not familiar

What stunt at what testing? Not familiar

Left the class room during an exam without supervision over the students. Inconsistent test grades. This is a shame. I really like Derek, but he made a huge mistake that day. I hope he can rebound and learn from this mistake.

It's really a shame. Personally, I don't think the punishment fits the crime. We have a hard enough time finding good teachers and to fire one because he went to the bathroom during a test is stupid.

Tough news about Rang. I hope he can rebound back fairly quickly.

There is a zero tolerance policy for cheating, and the penalty is quite severe. I know a girl that was a special ed. teacher. She showed a student how to use her calculator during an exam, and this teacher was fired promptly. After that, she wasn't allowed to apply for a teaching license for 3 years. Very stiff penalty. I don't know if these things are handled on a case by case basis, but I'm guessing Derek will face a similar (if not worse) fate.

I just think they go a bit overboard at times. Firing a teacher for showing a student how to use a calculator is ridiculous. We've lost common sense.

Reactions: 1 person
Three things you do NOT mess with in education...tests, money, and inappropriate behavior with students! Results always end in two words...you're fired! (Thanks Donald :))

Last edited:
Well, it looks like my son will have his 3rd coach in 3 years at Powell :banghead2:

Rang officially resigned today. I'm sure he was given a choice by Knox County schools to either resign or get fired due to his stunt during testing.

It's a shame those boys have to go through another change. First we move up in classification and we have another coach - it's going to be an interesting year.

So thats where Hamilton ended up.......

He supposedly got a phone call during the test and left the room for about 5 minutes. Some whispers of answers started going on between a few, and evidentally some nerd that didnt like that went to the office and now this man and his family is jobless. As for the Powell football program, it want even put a dent in it. Thats one of the largest and most talented areas in Knox, Powell' only worry is there moving to 6A this year and that means Maryville!

Three things you do NOT mess with in education...tests, money, and inappropriate behavior with students! Results always end in two words...your fired! (Thanks Donald :))

Haha. Did you mean you're fired?

I'm sorry the education system failed you.

Reactions: 4 people
He supposedly got a phone call during the test and left the room for about 5 minutes. Some whispers of answers started going on between a few, and evidentally some nerd that didnt like that went to the office and now this man and his family is jobless. As for the Powell football program, it want even put a dent in it. Thats one of the largest and most talented areas in Knox, Powell' only worry is there moving to 6A this year and that means Maryville!
He actually had to leave to go to the bathroom (guess he has a spastic colon) and couldn't wait for a teacher to relieve him. Then, he was bored so he opened the test and took it himself. Neither one was a very smart thing to do, but come on, not a fireable offense in my opinion.

The problem with Rang leaving is now we have no one left on the staff that knows the offense. Seymour has resigned also, so the offense will be interesting this year. Of course Ownby is back, but we lost key lineman and a SR running back.

The regular season should be fine as we basically play the same opponents, except we replaced Rhea County with Fulton and Austin East with CAK. Our first two games will be against defending state champs and we'll have a new head coach, fun times.

Playoffs will be another story :eek:hmy:

They will have No problems with defending state champs Fulton and CAK......big difference stepping up to play a 6A Powell, Powell will win easily. Your right, its the 6Aplayoffs, Maryville ! Uggh

They will have No problems with defending state champs Fulton and CAK......big difference stepping up to play a 6A Powell, Powell will win easily. Your right, its the 6Aplayoffs, Maryville ! Uggh

I hope you are right. I'm more worried about Fulton than I am CAK. Fulton will be physical and tough and I don't believe lost as many players as CAK did.

Haha. Did you mean you're fired?

I'm sorry the education system failed you.

27272844.jpg

Uh..no that's not even the case. I live in Powell and hope they smoke these teams. But to say Fulton isn't a problem is a bit naive IMO. Fulton playing a 6A schedule for a full season would be a big jump up. But for one game they could very well beat Powell. They could have beaten Powell last year, as Powell could have beaten them. It's gonna be a hell of a game don't get me wrong. But if Alcoa can beat Maryville I'd say Fulton can hang with Powell. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

They will not win easily against Fulton. They may not even win at all. This could be the best team Fulton has had in 20 years, and that is saying a lot.

I hope you are right. I'm more worried about Fulton than I am CAK. Fulton will be physical and tough and I don't believe lost as many players as CAK did.

Fulton returns EVERYONE from a State Title team I'd be little worried. Fulton is toughest game on the regular season schedule without a doubt and will be the best team you play all year (unless you make it to Maryville). Could Powell win absolutely but must hope for an off night from Fulton. Powell will have an awful tough time containing Rollins and Hawkins (those are two of MANY weapons Fulton has). Ad the Fulton D is stingy and won't surrender much if any against Powell.

VN Store

Back