Joe Gaddis Named Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

BallerVol

He used to coach for the Wildcats and has now come back to try to build off of what this program has done in the past few years.

This is the best thing to happen to ORHS since his '91 state championship. He is a great coach. I actually e-mailed the school board urging them to hire him. First time I've been involved in ORHS sports since 1996 (besides spectating).

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Gaddis took the Henry County Patriots to three straight Class 4A semifinals and had a 53-23 record in six years

Coach Gaddis took the Henry County Patriots to three straight Class 4A semifinals and had a 53-23 record in six years

Thanks, I was wondering that.

Anybody from Oak Ridge remember when his son got beat up by car thieves at the HS? He was trying to be a hero and stop them, and they kicked the **** out of him, and IIRC, he had teammates just stand by and watch. His boy was a fan favorite for his special teams play. All heart.

Thanks, I was wondering that.

Anybody from Oak Ridge remember when his son got beat up by car thieves at the HS? He was trying to be a hero and stop them, and they kicked the **** out of him, and IIRC, he had teammates just stand by and watch. His boy was a fan favorite for his special teams play. All heart.

I remember that very well

Yes as previously state the Oak Ridge boy's basketball team is state bound after beating SC tonight

The crazy thing is, I don't believe that 53-23 record at Henry Co. does Gaddis justice. Henry County was stuck in a black hole when he arrived here. We were coming off of six consecutive losing seasons, including an abysmal 1-9 campaign the year before he arrived. I vividly remember our numbers nearly doubling in his first year. He then had us back in the playoffs by his 2nd year, and the state semifinals by his 3rd.

Even though Gaddis was no longer here when we won state in 2011, I still give him a good piece of credit for that championship. No way would we have been in that position if not for the foundation that was already set in place when Coach Counce arrived. That's not a knock against Counce, he's a great coach too, but Gaddis is the one who built it up. Counce is the one who got it over the hump.

He was successful at Oak Ridge before, and with them moving down to 5A, he'll be successful there again.

The crazy thing is, I don't believe that 53-23 record at Henry Co. does Gaddis justice. Henry County was stuck in a black hole when he arrived here. We were coming off of six consecutive losing seasons, including an abysmal 1-9 campaign the year before he arrived. I vividly remember our numbers nearly doubling in his first year. He then had us back in the playoffs by his 2nd year, and the state semifinals by his 3rd.

Even though Gaddis was no longer here when we won state in 2011, I still give him a good piece of credit for that championship. No way would we have been in that position if not for the foundation that was already set in place when Coach Counce arrived. That's not a knock against Counce, he's a great coach too, but Gaddis is the one who built it up. Counce is the one who got it over the hump.

He was successful at Oak Ridge before, and with them moving down to 5A, he'll be successful there again.

How does it work in TN? I moved in 10th grade, and 5A is the biggest schools in Utah.

It's hard to believe ORHS would be the highest classification...it was like 1400 students when I was there (1997), and 5A schools in Utah have like 2500-3000 students.

Do they lose any rivalries by going down?

It's hard to believe ORHS would be the highest classification...it was like 1400 students when I was there (1997), and 5A schools in Utah have like 2500-3000 students.

Do they lose any rivalries by going down?

There are only a handful of schools in TN that exceed 2000 students. These aren't the exact numbers, because they divide the classes evenly, but 6A is "generally" 1500+. 5A is generally 1000-1500, and since there are a ton of schools with less than 1000 students, the remaining 4 classes are more clustered.

VN Store

Back