Vic Grider at South Pittsburg Tn resigns

I caught the story on TFP site... Did I miss why he resigned? Had a good thing going in South Pittsburg.

Vic is the 3rd coach since SP started playing football in 1923. Under his leadership SP went 5-10 in the TENNESSEE class A state finals, his play-off record is right up there with Quarles'. and Rankin's.
South Pittsburg's long time coach L. Phillip Beene played on General Robert Neyland's famous flaming sophomore team. Vic' s dad DON led SP to the first class A championship in 1969 running the single wing offense he learned from Coach Beene who learned it from the General.
Quite a history for a small town of 3200 on the banks of the Tennessee River.
Thanks to Stephen Hargis for his informative article, thanks to the OP for the link. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just when I thought my alma mater "Sequatchie Co." was the best open job in the valley! It still might be the Sequatchie Middle school beat South Pittsburg twice this season to win the Valley Conference Championship (42-16) and then (26-14) in the title game. Only two losses in two years, and the Senior Little league team I think only lost three times in the past two years.

Rumor has it that Sequatchie has offered former Marion Co. great Ken Colquitte the job?

Just when I thought my alma mater "Sequatchie Co." was the best open job in the valley! It still might be the Sequatchie Middle school beat South Pittsburg twice this season to win the Valley Conference Championship (42-16) and then (26-14) in the title game. Only two losses in two years, and the Senior Little league team I think only lost three times in the past two years.

Rumor has it that Sequatchie has offered former Marion Co. great Ken Colquitte the job?

The only way you guys will ever win again is if you go down into Georgia and beg Sid Fritts to come back.

The only way you guys will ever win again is if you go down into Georgia and beg Sid Fritts to come back.
I don't know about that, this was a rough year do to injuries and youth out of the 66 players on roster. 45 of them was either a Freshman or Sophomore. Our offensive line starting the year was 1 -Sr., 1-Jr., 2-So., 1-Fr. the Sophomores both camped at Vanderbilt and go around 275lb.+ and the Freshman injured a shoulder in 3rd or 4th game of year and was done. He might be the most talented out of the bunch if he comes back healthy those three should eventually play college ball at the D1 level. IMO

Like I said the SC Middle School team really had no problem in their games against South Pitt. this year. The only loss was a 14-0 loss at Rhea Central on a Tuesday night game where some starters were held out because two days later on that Thursday night they played rival Bledsoe Middle in their final Conference game.

A lot of folks are expecting big things out of this incoming Freshman class to go along with the what will be Sophomores & Juniors over the next two or three years.

Last edited:
Vic is the 3rd coach since SP started playing football in 1923. Under his leadership SP went 5-10 in the TENNESSEE class A state finals, his play-off record is right up there with Quarles'. and Rankin's.
South Pittsburg's long time coach L. Phillip Beene played on General Robert Neyland's famous flaming sophomore team. Vic' s dad DON led SP to the first class A championship in 1969 running the single wing offense he learned from Coach Beene who learned it from the General.
Quite a history for a small town of 3200 on the banks of the Tennessee River.
Thanks to Stephen Hargis for his informative article, thanks to the OP for the link. :thumbsup:

Danny Wilson was coach after Don, so that makes at least 4, right?

VN Store

Back