974 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on How can Tenessee hs improve programs???? Page 3. within the forum Tennessee High School Sports. Originally Posted by Vols4us The state's talent is underrated. The population argument is a loser. If that was the case ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee High School Sports

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 280
Likes: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols4us View Post
The state's talent is underrated. The population argument is a loser. If that was the case please explain why our neighboring states of Alabama and Mississippi produce more top talent every year.

Folks - it involves the emphasis and orientation of the kids to the sport at an earlier an age. The major states start younger with organized leagues throughout their states - not just in a couple of cities/areas. Most all of them have state sanctioned middle school programs in every school that can field a team. The S&C programs start quicker and by the time they are in HS they are well on their way to meeting their full potential.
Vols4us I agree. Mississippi & Alabama have a higher population of blacks than Tennessee & all three are small states population wise,with Mississippi having the highest population of blacks of any state in the nation. Florida,California,& Texas are big states with high populations & alot of blacks!!!!! The majority of blacks that are in america live in the south & thats why the SEC is so great & have been the last 6 national champs!!!!! This is why Memphis & west Tn produces more talent than the rest of the state.
imbubbaspitcup is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Daloth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,932
Likes: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol8188 View Post
There's no good ole boy system when it comes to football. If you're upset because you were always picked last in dodgeball, and never got to start on the football team, it's probably because you sucked.
This is a lie. My high school team lost a state championship because of the coach playing two kids that were not good enough to play. One was his nephew, and the other's mother all but black mailed coaches into playing her boy.
Daloth is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
revolUTion in the air!
 
Vol8188's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,896
Likes: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloth View Post
This is a lie. My high school team lost a state championship because of the coach playing two kids that were not good enough to play. One was his nephew, and the other's mother all but black mailed coaches into playing her boy.
Lol clearly those kids and your coach were terrible, how else would they have made the state championship game.........worst example ever.
Vol8188 is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tux
Senior Member
 
Tux's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zoo
Posts: 6,022
Likes: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReebaVol View Post
Tssaa is a big part of the problem. Stupid restrictions that won't allow coaches to work little Johnny too hard. We need better coaches but they have no incentive to come here. Places like D1 will help for the kids that are dedicated and can afford it.
A big part of the problem is that TN high school coaches run offenses like the Wing T that do not do much to develop and prepare good QBs and WRs for college.
Tux is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Daloth's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,932
Likes: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol8188 View Post
Lol clearly those kids and your coach were terrible, how else would they have made the state championship game.........worst example ever.
Hmm. Two teams in our division went undefeated until the last game of the regular season. We beat three teams ranked in the top ten in the state, and lost in the final four by a touchdown to the team that won the state title by 20. And we won all of our games by 14 or more points.
7 of the 12 seniors went on to play college ball in some fashion. Yep, we were a bad team, all the teams we played were bad, and this is a horrible example.

You clearly don't understand the system because you've either never been in it or were too bad of a player to ever see the field and understand who was or wasn't good enough to play. Go cry in the corner until you learn that the "good ole boy system" is what runs the world. Till then say hello to the block list.

Daloth is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
revolUTion in the air!
 
Vol8188's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,896
Likes: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloth View Post
Hmm. Two teams in our division went undefeated until the last game of the regular season. We beat three teams ranked in the top ten in the state, and lost in the final four by a touchdown to the team that won the state title by 20. And we won all of our games by 14 or more points.
7 of the 12 seniors went on to play college ball in some fashion. Yep, we were a bad team, all the teams we played were bad, and this is a horrible example.

You clearly don't understand the system because you've either never been in it or were too bad of a player to ever see the field and understand who was or wasn't good enough to play. Go cry in the corner until you learn that the "good ole boy system" is what runs the world. Till then say hello to the block list.

I was a four year stater, but thanks for asking. I don't understand what your problem is with a coach who took his team to the state championship game. Clearly the two kids who he was playin, that you claim didn't deserve to be on the field, weren't that bad. Otherwise they would have never made it that far.
Vol8188 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
orangepridenation's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,402
Likes: 199
There's nothing wrong with Tennessee high school athletes. You can't just snap your fingers and turn non-D1 talent into D1 talent. The only way the talent level will ever get to the level some fools on here think it should be is if A. Our population doubles in the next few years...and that ain't happening. Or B. We start offering free money to every African American family that moves into the state.

The thing that sucks the most is our homegrown talent pool isn't even that bad. It's bad compared to some of the schools we're competing against, but that's beyond our control. I believe that on average, Tennessee is one of the top 15 or 20 states in producing D1 talent. But that's still not the level of our neighbors to the south. And of the talent we do produce, the vast majority of it comes from either west or middle Tennessee, which is another point that has already been discussed.
orangepridenation is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BigO69's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 223
Likes: 32
IDK what the ultimate answer to this question is, but there is one thing I will comment on. alot of ppl on here are saying all the dominate players come from West tn and West tn is better than East Tn is football. I find this hilarious since East Tn DOMINATES the State title games every year(I.E. Maryville, Aloca, Webb, And now CAK). So anyone that wants to argue this point, please be my guest.
BigO69 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 21,006
Likes: 578
Better coaching? Anyone with common sense that watched the championship game this past season saw that Maryville was extremely out talented but won due to coaching.

Middle Tn and west tn have way more quality teams as well... East Tn has more top teams with Maryville, Alcoa, and south Pitt.
Bassmanbruno is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
orangepridenation's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,402
Likes: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO69 View Post
IDK what the ultimate answer to this question is, but there is one thing I will comment on. alot of ppl on here are saying all the dominate players come from West tn and West tn is better than East Tn is football. I find this hilarious since East Tn DOMINATES the State title games every year(I.E. Maryville, Aloca, Webb, And now CAK). So anyone that wants to argue this point, please be my guest.
On average, the best individual PLAYERS come from west/middle. This is simply a fact, and has been for years.

Btw, East TN did not dominate the state title games this year. Of the 8 state champions: 3 were from east TN(Maryville, Greeneville, CAK), 3 were from middle TN(Ensworth, Wayne County, FCS), and 2 were from west TN(Henry County, St. George). Looks pretty even to me.
orangepridenation is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
MaconVol
 
LifeisO&W's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lafayette, TN, Cookeville, TN
Posts: 726
Likes: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol8188 View Post
There's no good ole boy system when it comes to football. If you're upset because you were always picked last in dodgeball, and never got to start on the football team, it's probably because you sucked.
My local high school football program is ran by a good ole boy's system.
LifeisO&W is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 313
Likes: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols4us View Post
Folks - it involves the emphasis and orientation of the kids to the sport at an earlier an age. The major states start younger with organized leagues throughout their states - not just in a couple of cities/areas. Most all of them have state sanctioned middle school programs in every school that can field a team. The S&C programs start quicker and by the time they are in HS they are well on their way to meeting their full potential.
Sorry late to the party but excellent point it MUST improve at the grassroots level for it to improve at HS. You don't all of sudden become good in HS. IMO two ways to get better good coaching and playing "better than you" competition. Alot of coaches at the grassroots level in tN are daddies and are there for "junior" only and will not jeopardize there W/L record by scheduling a game against a tough opponent... At the grassroot level football is FAR more serious in FL & GA than TN. Population helps of course but you MUST play top competition in order to improve..
ilovemediocrity is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 254
Likes: 51
Go back to the good ole days and the whole town shuts down and goes to the ball game.It makes the programs better it also makes the kids get better.Not enough statewide support for their teams.
chieftn15 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #44 (permalink)
Chocolate Thunder
 
Coach Grizz's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Springfield, Tn
Posts: 15,855
Likes: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftn15 View Post
Go back to the good ole days and the whole town shuts down and goes to the ball game.It makes the programs better it also makes the kids get better.Not enough statewide support for their teams.
I agree it's too much other stuff going on nowadays especially for this generation of kids. They would rather be doing something else or just sitting on their asses playing football on PS3. And parents show no school pride if they are or are not alum of the school
Coach Grizz is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
tim
Volsquatch
 
tim's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,799
Likes: 4,135
Somehow some way winning and competition is becoming a bad thing in public schools. My kids dont even have a traditional field day anymore. EVERYONE gets a ribbon for participation. Its like Upward, nobody is keeping the score and our kids are doing what most kids do best, when left to their own devices, the fun/easy thing.

Yeah, Im the guy yelling for, not at, my kid at the ballfield/court. You might know me.
tim is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27