Gallatin's Coach, Robert Lassiter, Has Retired

Tux

Former Green Wave great and former Tennessee Volunteer, Robert Lassiter announced his retirement as the head football coach at Gallatin High School.

Robert was a former assistant coach when I played and had a huge impact on my high school and college football careers.

Congrats on a great career "Sly". You are a Vol For Life and a Green Wave For Life.

His wife, Mary Glenn "Proud Mary" Lassiter likely has a long list "honey dos" for him to take care of.

Posted via VolNation MobileHey I played for the mighty Green Wave also but for Coach Short.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I played for Lassiter at Hendersonville. Hatfield was my favorite but Lassiter was a good man. Congrats.

84-88
Posted via VolNation Mobile

And at least one of those losses happened at the hands of Mt. Juliet in the playoffs of 1998. :) GO BEARS!!!

Other than that, and until this year, well... :whistling:

Talk trash to us when MJ actually wins at least one state championship.:peace2:

MJ had the 2nd best team in the state back in the late 1970's.

84-88
Posted via VolNation Mobile

One of my best friends played for Gallatin from '87-'89. I think his cousin played for them from '86-'88 or somewhere in there.

I tell you what we had a hell of a team in 88.Still the strongest ever at G-town.Before the clinc bowl we was 8th in the nation.

I know. Surely you detected my sarcasm. :)

We did pretty well this year, state semis (again) and then nothing else. MJ will get it done at some point, but the problem is now that they're 6A, as they've gotten better, so has their competition.

Gallatin's always been good. Gotta do something with that knock-off Green Bay/UGA helmet though... :crazy:

MJ is the up and coming power in middle Tennessee sports. MJHS enrollment is almost twice as big as Gallatin's.

I couldn't figure out why Gallatin didn't send more guys to UT? They're looking at Box and a lineman but with the coach playing for UT, I would have thought more besides TD Woods would have gone there.

Thomas's cousin, Vernon Bass also played at UT.

Lassiter was not the coach when Thomas played at Gallatin. Calvin Short was his coach.

I tell you what we had a hell of a team in 88.Still the strongest ever at G-town.Before the clinc bowl we was 8th in the nation.

That was a great football team. Dunn, Maib, Lewis, Chuck Whatever, Malone... They were a better team than Jeff County, but struggled in the Clinic Bowl. Jeff Collins was a badass at JC and laid a serious hit on Malone on a very early play.

That was a great football team. Dunn, Maib, Lewis, Chuck Whatever, Malone... They were a better team than Jeff County, but struggled in the Clinic Bowl. Jeff Collins was a badass at JC and laid a serious hit on Malone on a very early play.

Dang Big Papa very impressed:bow2:

You must have never seen the 1978 team then. Best backfield and LB corp ever in Gallatin.

If I recall correctly, Short was an awesome coach at Gallatin. Probably one of the best all time in the state.

Reactions: 1 person
Over 50 candidates have applied for the Gallatin head coaching job, including Trousdale County head coach, Kevin Creasy and former Green Wave player and former New York Giant and Arizona Cardinal player, Brent Alexander.

If I recall correctly, Short was an awesome coach at Gallatin. Probably one of the best all time in the state.

5 state title game appearances and 3 gold balls during his tenure. I'm a huge TN high school football fan. And yes, he was a legend.

I'm a Henry County alum and fan. One of the most memorable games I can remember came back in 1992 in the semifinals against Calvin Short's Green Wave. The game was played at Henry County. A bad snap at the end all but concluded it, and Gallatin hung on for a 16-13 victory and went on to beat Clinton in the finals the following week. Great game, but a horrible ending for us. That was a sour taste that lingered for a while. Luckily we finally got over the hump and won a gold ball this past year after losing in 4 previous trips to the semifinals. Stings a lot less now. :)

Last edited:

The old saying was "the reason Mt. Juliet can't get on a roll was because they had 2 Flatt's." And imho it was the truth. Coach Flatt sucked and squandered loads of talent especially between '84 and '87.

VN Store

Back