Mt. Juliet HS football

supersmo18

#1 Orange-Lister
I grew up in MJ and went to MJE, MJJHS, MJHS. The best record we had when I was in HS was a 6-4 record on the season in 1998, and finished 8-5 with a homefield advantage state semifinals loss to Munford, with a score 10-9.

Since I've been gone, the school has gone from 5A, down to 4A (when Wilson Central started), and then now with the new MJHS building and the rapid growth of the city, the school is now 6A. The football team is now sitting at an 8-0 record on the season, having outscored opponents 352-105, and is ranked 10th in the state according to MaxPreps.

I've only been able to make it up to one game in the last several years, and from what I'm seeing, this team looks like it's turned into a juggernaut of sorts. I know there's other teams that are better, but does anyone that lives up there now and keeps up with MJ know if this team has what it takes to make it to the state championship and :)crossfingers:) possibly win it this year?

Thanks, and GO BEARS!

I played at MJ back in the day.

Coach Perry has been doing an amazing job since he arrived there. They play tough, physical football. It's really good to see.

This team has everything it takes to win a state title. They will face some excellent competition from the Murfreesboro area alone, but they can do it if the ball bounces their way. This is the best team I've ever seen or read about from MJ, they are very good and play mistake free football. They will run the ball down your throat, and then play damn good defense.

Last edited:
That's what I've heard too, but everyone I've been hearing from hasn't seen them play. Good to have a first-hand account and know that we're beating the hell out of Hendersonville, Lebanon, and Gallatin now.

I still remember the fat kid that ran out on the field at the end of the game in 1998 and planted their Munford flag on our 50 yard line. I wanted to break his legs.

That's what I've heard too, but everyone I've been hearing from hasn't seen them play. Good to have a first-hand account and know that we're beating the hell out of Hendersonville, Lebanon, and Gallatin now.

Agreed. That win over Gallatin was a big, big win.

I still remember the fat kid that ran out on the field at the end of the game in 1998 and planted their Munford flag on our 50 yard line. I wanted to break his legs.

Haha, I don't think you were the only one. I'm surprised he made it out of Wilson County safely.

I also remember that season beating Gallatin in the playoffs (breaking a 12 year losing streak) and narrowly losing in the season. IIRC, that playoff win was what got us to the semis because Hendersonville lost. I think after that year though, Gallatin continued to rise up and be pretty solid again. Glad to see that we're still moving forward.

Funny you posted that one about the kick blocking. I know I keep referring back to 98 (that was a good year for us, obviously), but the reason we beat Gallatin in that playoff game was because of a blocked FG. We won 21-19 @ GHS.

Haha, I got ya, and that's right. From 2000-2009, there really weren't too many good years so it's understandable to go back to '98.

Hopefully they can beat Hendersonville tonight and Wilson Central next week, and then get rolling even more in the playoffs. This team can do it.

Last edited:
Haha, I got ya, and that's right. From 2000-2009, there really weren't too many good years so it's understandable to go back to '08.

Hopefully they can beat Hendersonville tonight and Wilson Central next week, and then get rolling even more in the playoffs. This team can do it.

I think you mean '98. :)

But yeah I agree. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd head back up there and watch. I'm pretty excited about this team. What's the class situation? Do we have a good mix of Jrs/Srs? Or do we have some young studs? Anyone that you know of getting any offers?

Perry was the coach at Portland after I graduated from there. Led them to a state championship and another state appearance. There's no doubt, the guy can coach. Portland hasn't been the same since.

I was born and raised in Dallas, TX, but my grandfather was a freaking stud at Mount Juliet. His name was Earl "Sonny" Potter. If you have any older relatives who grew up in Mount Juliet, ask them about him.

I was born and raised in Dallas, TX, but my grandfather was a freaking stud at Mount Juliet. His name was Earl "Sonny" Potter. If you have any older relatives who grew up in Mount Juliet, ask them about him.

That's really cool, when did he play?

(I was the only one in my family who went to Mount Juliet, we moved there when I was growing up).

Perry was the coach at Portland after I graduated from there. Led them to a state championship and another state appearance. There's no doubt, the guy can coach. Portland hasn't been the same since.

Perry is an excellent coach. He has taken a program that was in the gutter for a while and made them a power in the mid-state. I know he has made a very large impact in the MJ area.

I think you mean '98. :)

But yeah I agree. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd head back up there and watch. I'm pretty excited about this team. What's the class situation? Do we have a good mix of Jrs/Srs? Or do we have some young studs? Anyone that you know of getting any offers?

Haha yes, 98.

It's an excellent team to be excited about, they are producing very well and the entire town is taking to it.

Class situation is pretty balanced on Juniors and Seniors, but they have some talent in the Soph/Frsh classes and I have some friends that coach in the Jr. High and they are strong there too. MJ will be good for as long as Perry is there.

As for offers, really the only "highly" recruited kid is Josh Shelton Scout.com: Josh Shelton Profile

http://www.tennessean.com/interactive/article/99999999/INTERACTIVES/110803012/Dandy-Dozen-2011

But Brannon Garza has a chance to play somewhere at the next level too Scout.com: Brannon Garza Profile

Uh no... Pretty sure you sir are wrong.. Look it up.. 5A all day long buddy.. Beat the **** out of Hendersonville Beech a few weeks ago... :)

Well then if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I live in Chattanooga so it's not like I pay much attention to what's going on way out in Henry Co. :) Either way, both teams are juggernauts this year. Good luck the rest of the season.

Who is mt. juliet? How many state titles have they won?:clapping:

Ha, that's like asking Vanderbilt how many National Championships they've won.

Mt. Juliet (I'm assuming you're serious) is about 20 miles east of Nashville in West Wilson Co.

Well then if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I live in Chattanooga so it's not like I pay much attention to what's going on way out in Henry Co. :) Either way, both teams are juggernauts this year. Good luck the rest of the season.

Yep best of luck.. I know HC is hoping to bring home a State Title this year.. Been close in recent years but we finally have pretty good D and an excellent O as usual. Our only weakness is that our division is so weak we don't really get to play anyone decent throughout the season.. Tried to schedule a couple of harder teams in non division but we beat both of them pretty bad.. Best of luck to Mt. Juliet though!

Yep best of luck.. I know HC is hoping to bring home a State Title this year.. Been close in recent years but we finally have pretty good D and an excellent O as usual. Our only weakness is that our division is so weak we don't really get to play anyone decent throughout the season.. Tried to schedule a couple of harder teams in non division but we beat both of them pretty bad.. Best of luck to Mt. Juliet though!

Thanks, I appreciate it. We've never been this good, and I'm pretty excited about it. If I didn't go up to Knoxville [nearly] every weekend, I'd be back in MJ keeping up with it more. Bring home the title!

Here's to MJHS and HCHS! :toast:

VN Store

Back