High school football rules discussion

When is a game really over?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This is the NFHS rule and has nothing to do with whatever the college rule is.

Rule 1-1-8: The officials’ jurisdiction extends through the referee’s declaration of the end of the fourth period or overtime

How many players can be on the field at once?

3-7-1: Between downs any number of eligible substitutes may replace players. Replaced players shall leave the field within three seconds

3-7-4: During a down a replaced player or substitute who attempts unsuccessfully to leave the field and who does not participate in or affect the play, constitutes an illegal substitution.
NOTE: Participation by a replaced player or substitute is illegal participation as in 9-6.

9-6: ART. 1 . . . Prior to a change of possession, or when there is no change of possession, no player of A or K shall go out of bounds and return to the field during the down unless blocked out of bounds by an opponent. If a player is blocked out of bounds by an opponent and returns to the field during the down, he shall return at the first opportunity.
ART. 2 . . . During the down, no player shall intentionally go out of bounds and return.
ART. 3 . . . No replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant shall hinder an opponent, touch the ball, influence the play or otherwise participate.
ART. 4 . . . It is illegal participation:
a. When any player, replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant enters and participates during a down.
b. If an injured player is not replaced for at least one down; unless the half time or overtime intermission occurs.
c. To have 12 or more players participating at the snap or free kick.
d. To use a player, replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.
e. For a player to be lying on the ground to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.
f. For a disqualified player to re-enter the game.

You can have 22 in the huddle, as long as the 11 substituted for leave within 3 seconds.

Last edited:
Posting things that have happened in UT games has NOTHING to do with what goes on in high school games.

Reactions: azVolFan
Can any offensive players have their back turned to the line of scrimmage as the ball is snapped?

Can any offensive players have their back turned to the line of scrimmage as the ball is snapped?

Rule 2-32-9: A lineman is any A player who is facing his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and with his head or
foot breaking an imaginary plane drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the snapper when the ball is snapped.

So, a lineman has to face the defense.

Rule 2-32-3: A back is any A player who has no part of his body breaking the plane of an imaginary line drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the
waist of the nearest teammate who is l egally on the line, except for the player under the snapper, who is also considered a back.

Nothing there about what a back has to face.

I believe as long as you're not on the line of scrimmage you don't have to be facing forward.

Also here is a rule about handing the ball to a lineman.

7-3-2a: A lineman who has clearly faced his end line by moving both feet in a half turn and is at least 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball.

Last edited:
If a defensive lineman lines up with his back to the offense, then backpedals at the snap.... would that constitute a blocking in the back penalty on the offense?

If a defensive lineman lines up with his back to the offense, then backpedals at the snap.... would that constitute a blocking in the back penalty on the offense?
If the offensive player nails him in the back, then yes.

If the defensive guy back peddles into the offensive play, then no.

There is also a thing called the free blocking zone, basically anything goes there. Here is the rule for free blocking zone:

Rule 2-17: ART. 1 . . . The free-blocking zone is a rectangular area extending laterally 4 yards either side of the spot of the snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage. A player is in the free-blocking zone when any part of his body is in the zone at the snap.
ART. 2 . . . Blocking below the waist is permitted in the free-blocking zone when the following conditions are met:
a. All players involved in the blocking are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.
b. The contact is in the zone.
ART. 3 . . . Clipping is permitted in the free-blocking zone when the following conditions are met:
a. By offensive linemen who are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.
b. Against defensive players who are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.
c. The contact is in the zone.
ART. 4 . . . Blocking in the back is permitted in the free-blocking zone when the following conditions are met:
a. By offensive linemen who are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.
b. Against defensive players who are in the zone at the snap.
c. The contact is in the zone.
ART. 5 . . . The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive lineman to clip
and/or block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone.

Basically at the snap anything goes as long as it is done immediately. The ball still has to be in the zone as well.

On a kickoff, if a player attempts to field a kick and muffs it and the ball rolls into the endzone, should the play be ruled a touchback?

We've been calling about the same amount of time then. May I ask what position?

Also, tell me some of your favorite places you've worked.

On a kickoff, if a player attempts to field a kick and muffs it and the ball rolls into the endzone, should the play be ruled a touchback?

Yes it is a touchback. It is a kick until it is possessed.

We've been calling about the same amount of time then. May I ask what position?

Also, tell me some of your favorite places you've worked.

I am an umpire. Two of the best places I have worked were Smyrna and Dobbins-Bennett

I am an umpire. Two of the best places I have worked were Smyrna and Dobbins-Bennett

I'm an umpire as well. I've never worked either school. For me, Giles County was great. I've worked there many times but i really like working at Mt Juliet. They have a new stadium that is very nice.

I'm an umpire as well. I've never worked either school. For me, Giles County was great. I've worked there many times but i really like working at Mt Juliet. They have a new stadium that is very nice.
have you worked any in East Tennessee?

Thanks, I've been wondering about this for a few years. It seems like different refs have called it different ways.

Should never be called anything but a touchback. You should never see a high school player allowed to return a kick out of the end zone.

VN Store

Back