3410 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on High school football rules discussion Page 6. within the forum Tennessee High School Sports. Originally Posted by volunteerfan94 What areas do you ref? I prefer not to put that out there. ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee High School Sports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #76 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteerfan94 View Post
What areas do you ref?
I prefer not to put that out there.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
Nolite confidere crepitu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballref View Post
No. If the team kicks the extra point once it is apparent the kick is no good the play is dead. If they go for 2 and throw an interception or fumble once the defense gains possession it is dead.
Pretty sure that college football is the only place where that rule applies. A blocked PAT or turnover on a 2 pt conversion is a dead ball in the NFL and every high school game I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #78 (permalink)

Saw something in a high school game the other night that I've never seen. A punt returner called for a fair catch but let the ball bounce and then fielded it. They blew it dead immediately. Apparently the ball bouncing didn't negate the fair catch signal which kind of makes sense since the defenders have to all pull up and honor the signal.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #79 (permalink)

Pass Interference

As a referee what are you looking for to determine if there is pass interference?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #80 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVol View Post
Saw something in a high school game the other night that I've never seen. A punt returner called for a fair catch but let the ball bounce and then fielded it. They blew it dead immediately. Apparently the ball bouncing didn't negate the fair catch signal which kind of makes sense since the defenders have to all pull up and honor the signal.
Once the fair catch signal is given it is going to blown dead when a team gains possession of the ball.

There is an illegal fair catch signal, which means the signal was given after the kick had ended. This one is not blown dead. I have never seen this happen.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #81 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCHS Hornet View Post
As a referee what are you looking for to determine if there is pass interference?
Not sure what you are after here. If you are asking if there can be any contact, there can be some and it depends. If they tangle feet I am not going to have a call. I am not going to let the defender face guard and never look for the ball. I am not going to let the defender take a shot on the receiver before the ball gets there. If you want to ask something and be a little more specific I will try and give you a better answer.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #82 (permalink)

No, I don't have a specific question about pass interference -- just the general one I asked earlier. Sometimes I see interference just as plain as the nose on your face. At other times I don't see it. So I was wondering what the referees are looking for. So, thanks for your response but if you have more to offer I will certainly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #83 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCHS Hornet View Post
No, I don't have a specific question about pass interference -- just the general one I asked earlier. Sometimes I see interference just as plain as the nose on your face. At other times I don't see it. So I was wondering what the referees are looking for. So, thanks for your response but if you have more to offer I will certainly appreciate it.
Can't really offer anything specific without seeing a play.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #84 (permalink)

What is the TN High School rule about casts?

My son will be coming to TN to play in the Battle of Rocky Top tournament and has a cast on his broken hand. I've been told the TN high school rules will apply and cannot find the rules regarding playing with a cast anywhere? Can anyone help me with some info.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #85 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccartney View Post
My son will be coming to TN to play in the Battle of Rocky Top tournament and has a cast on his broken hand. I've been told the TN high school rules will apply and cannot find the rules regarding playing with a cast anywhere? Can anyone help me with some info.
He will need to have padding basically covering the outside of the cast. Your son will probably have to show it to an official before each game he plays.

BTW, it is not Tennessee high school rules it is NFHS rules Tennessee is 1 of 48 states that play under NFHS rules.

Last edited by footballref; 11-04-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #86 (permalink)
GBO!!

Just bumping this back up to try and get some discussion going.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #87 (permalink)
Vol for Life

Can you clarify the blocking below the waist rule. I thought the rule was you can block below the waist (except from behind) 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. However, it seems I've seen on Saturday afternoons blocking below the waist down field. is HS and College different or was that just a missed flag?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #88 (permalink)
GBO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2194 View Post
Can you clarify the blocking below the waist rule. I thought the rule was you can block below the waist (except from behind) 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. However, it seems I've seen on Saturday afternoons blocking below the waist down field. is HS and College different or was that just a missed flag?
High school and college are different. I don't know what all they can and can't do in college. In high school there is a free blocking zone in almost anything goes. The free blocking zone basically allows low blocks as long as they are immediate. There is more wording to that, that I can add later. One thing that is never legal is high/low blocks. By low, I mean below the knee.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #89 (permalink)
Legend in the making.....

Never understood the face guarding for pass interference. If the defender doesn't make contact with the receiver and throws his arms up and deflects the pass but never turns around are you going to call PI?
I like redhead s . I like big buttws. My6 last gf was perfect and I ****ed it up. I love girls with a little attitide I drink sometimwes but dirnk a liot. I want to statrt taking kravf maga. I have been in a fewq fights. I wouldnt be bothered by killin somreone. I am smart but sucjk at college. I've had saome hot ass gfs. I have great taste in girls. I am about to black out
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBO18 View Post
Never understood the face guarding for pass interference. If the defender doesn't make contact with the receiver and throws his arms up and deflects the pass but never turns around are you going to call PI?
Pretty sure that's an NFL only rule.
Reply With Quote TOP