Home School kids can play

Elhanan

TSSAA voted to allow home school kids to tryout for high school sports teams. Since we only have around 1,023,717 (5-17yrs) kids in the state the additional 24,795 home school kids may add some more local talent. We are the 17th largest state after all and using all our resources really could help UT athletics in the future.

http://www.smhea.org/uploads/TSSAAhsSports120810.pdf

Interesting. In GA it is not the same. But, if the coach of the local HS allows it, homeschoolers can play. Otherwise no. Seem like UF had a decent HS QB a few years ago. May help a little with in-state talent. Just reel em in when they arrive CDD & co.

I think that's good, lord knows what kind of talent is out there that ain't in the schools
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Smart kids or lazy kids. Maybe some athletes dropout of school but still play sports after all this.

Interesting. In GA it is not the same. But, if the coach of the local HS allows it, homeschoolers can play. Otherwise no. Seem like UF had a decent HS QB a few years ago. May help a little with in-state talent. Just reel em in when they arrive CDD & co.

He had some success...

I think Taber Spani that plays for the Lady Vols was the #1 High School Girl's Basketball player coming out of Missouri a couple of years ago and if I'm not mistaken was home schooled.

Most home school kids I have met are awkward and antisocial. Couldn't imagine them wanting to compete on such a public stage.
They have Call Of Duty to keep them busy.

Most home school kids I have met are awkward and antisocial. Couldn't imagine them wanting to compete on such a public stage.
That might be true of the earlier generations of home schooled kids, but now there are so many and a huge network for them. My kids are home schooled but get out and I would say have just as many if not more friends then kids that go to HS.

That might be true of the earlier generations of home schooled kids, but now there are so many and a huge network for them. My kids are home schooled but get out and I would say have just as many if not more friends then kids that go to HS.

Are they homeschooled for Religious reasons?

That are as weird as they are...

I have always been an advocate for Public school. Since our tax dollars pay for it we should take a more active role in making it work. I just volunteered a lot at the school. I learned the kids, staff and rules. It helped my children stay proactive. However, I realize it isn't for everyone and there are some parents that prefer to teach their own kids. Many many years ago that is how you were educated. I don't think a child should be punished from competitive sports because of their parents choice to home school them. As long as they are held to the same standards as their teammates. In Florida, homeschooled children could play. They couldn't choose their schools though. They had to play for the school they would be zoned for, if attending, NO EXCEPTIONS. We had a child who was homeschooled try to come play for us. He didn't last long. I did notice, while he was there, he couldn't bond with the kids. Not because he had social problems it was becuase there is more to team sports than just what you see on the field or at practice. These boys eat lunch together, walk halls together, wear jerseys on game day together etc. This child didn't get any of that. He was only there for practice and games. Left little bonding time. I have watched my own boys in football....they become a family. They are close and have each others back.
I am glad they have the option to play. It is a start in the right direction. I just think parents should really look at the whole picture. Your child misses out on so much more when they play an organized sport, especially at a high school level, when they are only there for the sport.

Last edited:
As a former homeschooler; I can tell you a lot of people just don't understand it. They have a narrowed view because of their assumptions and the small demographic of homeschoolers that they've met. They meet a few awkward, socially inept (and don't get me wrong...there are a fair share of them) homeschoolers and they just write the whole group off as being that way. It's extremely shortsighted and I doubt they would do the exact same for any other group of people.

That being said, I wish this had been in affect years ago with I was still in school. I'd have jumped at the chance to play for my local high school. I played basketball for a local homeschool group and ended up making it to the college ranks, but that was doing my own recruiting and the like. I'm not saying I would've made a Major D1 program or anything like that, but the notoriety that comes with the public school stage does make it immensely easier to get recruited. That's just a fact. I was able to play at a small D1 school and for that chance I am thankful. If you can play and get the word out a coach does not care as much as they used to what your educational background is like as long as you prove you're capable.

I was homeschooled from 7th grade thru graduation and I don't regret it one bit. As long as I got the school work done for that week I could do whatever I wanted, and that was play basketball. I'd get a weeks worth of schooling done in 2-3 extremely long hard days and then have a 4-5 day weekend to do whatever.

I was homeschooled because we moved a lot, but I have many friends that are homeschooled for various reasons from religious to academic deficiencies as well as attitude problems. There's so many reasons nowadays and so many resources that it can be a completely viable option. I look forward to putting my kids in the local schools, but I probably wouldn't argue with my wife if she felt the option of homeschooling was a better one.

Just my two cents.

Had a freshman honors English course with a home-schooled guy. I was shocked at how articulate, social, and bright he was. Much more social than I am (I can be kind of an abrasive ass-- shocking, I know).

I've known a few home-schooled folks that totally fit the stereotype, but it certainly isn't the rule.

One of my best friends was home schooled. It used to blow his mind when I could tell if someone was home schooled after meeting them.

VN Store

Back