Little help with a high school football ?

Thanks man, did not know you had a HS forum. Ill ask my question over there or maybe a mod can just move it.

That is also Shawn and Jason's alma mater. They have had some very good teams over they years. A very consistent program, that doesn't generally challenge for a state title, but is almost always making a little run in the playoffs. Of course when Shawn and Jason were playing there, they were hard to beat and was a state favorite Shawn's SR year if I remember correctly but were beaten in the semis I believe.

That is the home of Jason Witten. Shawn his brother is the head coach. He played at Va Tech. They are well coached. I would say that they are a sold Tenn. high school football team. 3A (which means Alcoa puts them out of the playoffs every year)

Shawn Witten has greatly improved Elizabethton football over the years, they are a decent sized school who play good teams and have made it to the playoffs the past several years. Another interesting thing about them is that this year they had a girl kicker and she was pretty good. Not sure if she'll be back next year though.

Betsy is a better than average AA team, but has really benefitted from playing weaker competition in the lower classification. They always have a pretty powerful offense but their defense usually is exposed against the more powerful Knoxville area teams in the playoffs.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thanks for all the info. I did not know Jason Witten went there or that his brother is coaching there, thats very cool. Sounds like they are a pretty solid team. I do not know much about East Tenn football but Fulton from Knoxville came over a couple years ago and looked very good. The other two teams, cant remember their names were kinda weak. Is the school near Johnson City?

Elizabethton will have a few good skill guys next year. QB will be a sr and is pretty good. Starting RB (more than likely) is small but very quick and has good hands out of the backfield. The problem with Elizabethton nowadays is size on the line. The last few teams havent had very good lines to give teh good athletes in the backfield time to make plays.

The past two years, though, they have gone to the semis. All that is holding them back from the Boro is a college team in a high school division...Alcoa.

That is also Shawn and Jason's alma mater. They have had some very good teams over they years. A very consistent program, that doesn't generally challenge for a state title, but is almost always making a little run in the playoffs. Of course when Shawn and Jason were playing there, they were hard to beat and was a state favorite Shawn's SR year if I remember correctly but were beaten in the semis I believe.

Played Cental and Maryville in the semis Shawn Witten's jr and sr years, respectively.

Sounds like Alcoa is like Byrnes in SC. ITs good to know they have a good program. Tuscola should have its starting QB back also unless he decides to just stick with baseball, thats where his college future is at really. We ahve been lucky with QB's recently, Crompton (know some of you dont like him), then Brosius (went to NCSU last year, now Howard. Our line usually has good size but Im unsure of the skill players this upcoming season, we lost most or our speed out of the backfield. Hope we can replace them. I understand they come to Waynesville to play then we go to Tenn. We ahve a nice field and atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfqRFsfXAQ

Elizabethton will have a few good skill guys next year. QB will be a sr and is pretty good. Starting RB (more than likely) is small but very quick and has good hands out of the backfield. The problem with Elizabethton nowadays is size on the line. The last few teams havent had very good lines to give teh good athletes in the backfield time to make plays.

The past two years, though, they have gone to the semis. All that is holding them back from the Boro is a college team in a high school division...Alcoa.

Dont forget CAK :)

Is Betsy what y'all call Elizabethton?

Nice clip, hopefully they will bring a large crowd. Do they call out the other team as part of their pregame routine? I large 50/50 is always nice.

Last edited:
It should be noted that "Betsy" played a division up in football back when Jason and Shawn played. Probably cost them at least one deep run or championship.

Last edited:
Tuscola (Waynesville, NC) will be playing Elizabethon High School out of Tennessee. Can anyone give me a little info about them>

No disrespect meant, but didn't y'all back out of a home and home with Ensworth (private school in Nashville) last year and the year before (would have played in Nashville in 2009 and at Tuscola last year)? As I remember it, the cancellation came late, leaving Ensworth with only 9 games. Just out of curiosity, do you know the reason(s) that Tuscola cancelled that series?

Tuscola (Waynesville, NC) will be playing Elizabethon High School out of Tennessee. Can anyone give me a little info about them>

No disrespect meant, but didn't y'all back out of a home and home with Ensworth (private school in Nashville) last year and the year before (would have played in Nashville in 2009 and at Tuscola last year)? As I remember it, the cancellation came late, leaving Ensworth with only 9 games. Just out of curiosity, do you know the reason(s) that Tuscola cancelled that series?

Yes, I was actually planning on making the trip last year to Ensworth. I heard we simply dropped them due to the travel/costs of traveling that far for a game. Tuscola picked up a 4a team out of Gastonia, NC instead. School budgets are very tight in NC these years and my best guess is that it simply came down to money.

Thanks for the replies, seems like Eliz will be pretty good so it should be a good game. Looking forward to it. Does Eliz have a website?

TuscolaFootball.com- Tuscola High School Football (Waynesville, NC)

VN Store

Back