About getting into coaching...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I'm a local guy, and as I am getting ready to go to college, I wanted to see if I could get into coaching football (high school or college specifically). I was curious if you guys knew if coaches Gary Rankin or George Quarles take volunteers to help in any capacity.

I'm a local guy, and as I am getting ready to go to college, I wanted to see if I could get into coaching football (high school or college specifically). I was curious if you guys knew if coaches Gary Rankin or George Quarles take volunteers to help in any capacity.

Being a high school coach myself, I think your best bet is to just call the coaches and ask. I know in GA we are allowed to have "community coaches" but they have to take a couple of classes.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you. God bless!:thumbsup:

Being a high school coach myself, I think your best bet is to just call the coaches and ask. I know in GA we are allowed to have "community coaches" but they have to take a couple of classes.

I think that's what I was going to do, I just didn't know if anybody had worked with Quarles/Rankin.

And thanks very much for the good luck, hope you had a good season.

Also, if you need anybody, I'd be glad to help with any job :) jk

I work at a high school in Northwest GA, between Dalton and Chattanooga. When you start looking for work before you graduate, get back in touch with me. I'll see what I can do. Where are you going to school?

Look into being a manager or a coach's assistant at whatever college you go to. You'll need a good word from a football person with connections at you current school. You'll also need a light schedule in the fall so you can put forth all the work hours they'll require from you. After you graduate college you'll need to find a grad assistant coaching job at anyplace you can find. Be picky, but understand you'll have to bounce around several places in your journey.

I think in TN a football staff can have 3 volunteer (non-fac) coaches.

You may want to start out on the middle school level or freshman/JV. It is tough to get a Varsity HS job unless you already have some type of resume...

Network, network, network.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
This ^. You have to find a way to get in a film room with coaches. I would look to the DIII level and become an equipment manager. If you can't wrangle a GA position out of that you can still put it on a resume to be a highschool position coach. The best bet is networking your way into a GA role somewhere and proving yourself to be very useful.

This ^. You have to find a way to get in a film room with coaches. I would look to the DIII level and become an equipment manager. If you can't wrangle a GA position out of that you can still put it on a resume to be a highschool position coach. The best bet is networking your way into a GA role somewhere and proving yourself to be very useful.

My former coach's advice to me was twofold. Be willing to be relegate yourself to "female dog" work and be able to tell the head coach your philosophy in one sentence when he asks.

But the most important thing for a young coach is to exhibit the best work ethic of anyone on staff. If you're an equipment manager, be the best damn equipment manager on the planet. It pays off.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If you are going to UT, do whatever it takes to get on as a manager. It's a ton of work, but you can get a lot of connections and if you do a great job I'm sure any coach in the state of TN would take a recommendation of the coaching staff there.

If you are going somewhere else, I would probably look at smaller schools IMO. Greenback has a solid 1A program and I would be willing to bet would take all the help they could get. GQ and Rankin have the ability to be very picky. I know GQ takes on volunteer assistants, but they are also guys he knows well and/or coached.

Just my two cents.

Not having a contact might be kind of hard, you having to make a cold call and all. I am pretty sure at places like Smyrna High School, the voluntary assistants seem to be former SHS players or they have a son playing. Winning programs produce a lot of volunteers. If you are going to UT you may have a shot with Rankin at Alcoa since he's a UT graduate and HUGE fan of the Vols or get Bruce Pearl to tell him your uncle played for UT back in the day but never got to dress for a game.:loco:

Im pretty sure the only "coaching prospects" Rankin/Alcoa takes are coaches Rankin has had with him in the past or former Alcoa players.

You want to be a coach? Get up this way. We've got 715 football-playing high schools, 10 D-1A or 1-AA colleges, and a crapload of D-2 and D-3 schools.

Guys, I hadn't seen this thread in a couple weeks, but I want to say thanks for the advice. I think I may have found a good opportunity.

VN Store

Back