Anyone with insight to how this played out??

VolsMan26

Any OG's care to share some insight to how this played out with gruden? Seemed so close to signing him but what went wrong, how did we end up with CBJ?

Close? Maybe you missed the presser.

-Hart calls Gruden's agent-

-Agent says Jon not interested in coaching in college-

- Dave Hart moves on-

Took all of 63 seconds to squash it. It playing out for 3 weeks was all fabricated in the minds of a bunch of fools.

:hi:

Reactions: 14 people
Any OG's care to share some insight to how this played out with gruden? Seemed so close to signing him but what went wrong, how did we end up with CBJ?

Not an OG that has been wrong for months, but will answer anyway, befor more bs is posted.
never close. Never freaking close.
It wasn't Harts fault. He didn't go freaking rogue as some have spewed on here. Gruden didn't want to coach college ball and chase recruits around while being limited by time and the ncaa rulebook. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: 2 people
Not an OG that has been wrong for months, but will answer anyway, befor more bs is posted.
never close. Never freaking close.
It wasn't Harts fault. He didn't go freaking rogue as some have spewed on here. Gruden didn't want to coach college ball and chase recruits around while being limited by time and the ncaa rulebook. It's as simple as that.

It is amazing the **** people told me that I bought in to. There was no animosity today between Hart and the Boosters. I listened to Haslam praise the hire and Butch Jones throughout the press conference. He laughed and talked to Hart at the meet and greet like they are old friends. This rift between boosters and Hart is a fantasy imo.

Cheek stood alone a lot, didn't really engage and didn't seem all that happy but maybe that's just Cheek. Had never been around him before so not sure lol.

Last edited:
It is amazing the **** people told me that I bought in to. There was no animosity today between Hart and the Boosters. I listened to Haslam praise the hire and Butch Jones throughout the press conference. He laughed and talked to Hart like they are old friends. This rift between boosters and Hart is a fantasy imo.

Cheek stood alone a lot, didn't really engage and didn't seem all that happy but maybe that's just Cheek. Had never been around him before so not sure lol.

they are getting this junk from another site that is a pos with a bunch of pos posters that don't know squat. Just a bunch of big talkers that amount to no good info, outside of some game analysis here and there.

they are getting this junk from another site that is a pos with a bunch of pos posters that don't know squat. Just a bunch of big talkers that amount to no good info, outside of some game analysis here and there.

Yea I found that out throughout this, but not just them, people in my personal life. Like I said I think a group of mid levels thought they were Thorntons and Haslams.

I feel very foolish some of the things I bought into that I shared, not sure what else to say. You are one of the posters here I now respect the most tbh.

Reactions: 2 people
Yea I found that out throughout this, but not just them, people in my personal life. Like I said I think a group of mid levels thought they were Thorntons and Haslams.

I feel very foolish some of the things I bought into that I shared, not sure what else to say. You are one of the posters here I now respect the most tbh.

The certainty of that is so high Vegas wouldn't put a line on it.

It is amazing the **** people told me that I bought in to. There was no animosity today between Hart and the Boosters. I listened to Haslam praise the hire and Butch Jones throughout the press conference. He laughed and talked to Hart at the meet and greet like they are old friends. This rift between boosters and Hart is a fantasy imo.

Which Haslam? Gov?

i didn't brag about contacts this entire time, but my main info comes from a top 10 sports agent that I went to church with, school with and have known since I was 5. The things that came out about Gruden were absolutely laughable to him. Laughable.

i didn't brag about contacts this entire time, but my main info comes from a top 10 sports agent that I went to church with, school with and have known since I was 5. The things that came out about Gruden were absolutely laughable to him. Laughable.

A lot was laughable, in hindsight most. I think a booster with a connection to Gruden said something to him about the job sometime after the Florida game. They may have even casually discussed it further and discussed money but in no way now do I think it was any more than "conversation" and Hart made a call to put it to rest, or so he thought. To me, that is when the tinfoil hats came out and reality left the conversation completely. I can see before that how it was believable but the conspiracy theory after that day was mind boggling.

It certainly did seem odd that a supposedly rogue AD who was trying to hire a coach against the wishes of the big boosters was flying around to interviews on the biggest booster's plane, didn't it?

I don't think TN was ever in a position to offer $6 mil in the first place. And it would have took that kind of money plus $4 mil for assistants to get him to listen.

Only insight I have is that Hart looked like a fool throughout the process and embarrassed this program beyond anything we have seen to date.

A simple 1 paragraph press release could have killed Gruden rumors before they ever started.

Conducting an actual search instead of fixating on a couple of Jimmy Sexton clients then panicking when they pulled the rug out from under him with a ridiculous offer to Strong and now this Jones hire is the epitome of incompetence.

Jones may turn out fine but the odds are heavy for him to fail.

Little to no name recognition in SEC recruiting, inexperienced in coaching in big time games, and a rabid fan base sick of losing and expecting better are all factors working against him.

Reactions: 5 people
I have said it a dozen ties during this coaching search. UT just does not spend top SEC money for it's football coach. We were next to last in the SEC in 2012. I would guess time coaches get their raises going into 2013, we will still be in the bottom 3. Until the admissions deal gets fixed, how much we are willing to spend just does not matter unless you hire a guy making 4 million offering him 7 million.

Reactions: 4 people
A lot was laughable, in hindsight most. I think a booster with a connection to Gruden said something to him about the job sometime after the Florida game. They may have even casually discussed it further and discussed money but in no way now do I think it was any more than "conversation" and Hart made a call to put it to rest, or so he thought. To me, that is when the tinfoil hats came out and reality left the conversation completely. I can see before that how it was believable but the conspiracy theory after that day was mind boggling.

As I have stated before, bcarter, you were the one that I listened to the most. I think we all got a little too caught up in the Gruden fantasy to the point we lost our common sense, god knows I did. When you started having doubts it made me stop and think about it. It really was a wild ride but I'm glad it's over.

Reactions: 1 person
I am hearing Vic Grider flinched in his stare down with Hart about 1:30 am this morning.

Edit: OK I made this up. I just don't have the stomach to be a Grudenite.

Last edited:
Any "insider" on any board with the Gruden crap was just looking to boost ecred for their own epeen. Move thru the target and to a happy place please....

Reactions: 1 person
No it wouldn't. It would have been blown off as being "smokescreen" just like every other thing pointing in a different direction was.

This is true. The Gruden stuff had reached a point that even if the man had come out and actually said "Screw Tennessee!", it would have been brushed off as a smokescreen. Hell, his agent practically did that and it was ignored.

VN Store

Back