Jim Tressel (merged)

VOLorNuttin

Before reading my post, try and take a few moments to read this article:
Jim Tressel could get hired after*flimsy NCAA show-cause penalty - Andy Staples - SI.com

I still say that Tressel might be the right guy and an absolute STEAL. I like Charlie Strong too and I think he could recruit with the best of 'em in the SEC, but with Tressel, his (and OSU's) loss...in regards to the NCAA trouble he got into...could be our gain.

Had he not gotten into that trouble, he'd still be coaching OSU right now...still a thorn in the side of Michigan and Penn State every year, and still one of the most successful College coaches today. I mean, record and recruiting wise, he's in the same conversation as Saban, Meyer and Stoops.

We'd only have to have him sit for 5 games, in order to get him. A 5 year NCAA Show Cause is NOT a coaching ban. It is simply a way to prevent a coach from dodging penalties he'd have to pay if he stayed put.

First of all...I think it's the rest of the Big 10 fanbase making much to do about absolutely NOTHING. Just like Bruce Pearl having a recruit over for a barbeque. Big freakin whoop. It was simply a matter of him trying to cover it up...why? Because they didn't want the NCAA trying to overblow the whole thing. I'm not condoning either coaches handling. But I do think the NCAA has a way of trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure he felt his players didn't deserve to get raked across the coals for something little like that.

Of course opposing fanbases are going to raise a big fuss. They want some relief from being terrorized by the guy every year. The NCAA is punishing him and OSU for him not putting the Hammer down on some of his players selling some of their stuff.

How in the hell is that even something to be penalized over? And no wonder he wanted to keep the NCAA out of their business. It's none of their damned business in the first place.I don't give a rat's behind if Terrell Pryor sells his jersey or not. So, IMHO, it's not something I think an AD should be concerned about. The guy paid/is paying their stupid freaking penalty, and I'm sure he'd not be inclined to do anything like it again.

But if Gruden is out of the question, Tressel would be a steal. He'd take considerably less than what he was making at OSU (especially if the AD can't get the NCAA to reduce the penalty down from 5 games...maybe 5 non-conference games instead of the first 5 of the season?), and that could help a great deal in getting the absolute best staff possible, while making Dooley's buyout easier to swallow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
You know he has a show cause on him that prevents him from doing even some the most basic functions of coaching, right? UT would be absolutely moronic to hire someone like that.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd MUCH rather have Fulmer back than hire Tressel

FULMER >>>>>>>>>> TRESSEL

You know he has a show cause on him that prevents him from doing even some the most basic functions of coaching, right? UT would be absolutely moronic to hire someone like that.
You didn't read the article, did you? That's why I asked folks to read it, instead of spewing nonsense that is prevalent on these boards.

Reactions: 8 people
You didn't read the article, did you? That's why I asked folks to read it, instead of spewing nonsense that is prevalent on these boards.

Nonsense? The only nonsense posted is the idea that UT should even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause violation against him.

Reactions: 2 people
Great idea. Dooley cleans up the program and then we hire a lame duck. Brilliant.
How would hiring one of the best College HC's over the past decade be a "Lame Duck" hire. People READ THE FREAKIN ARTICLE. I'm getting tired of arguing against nonsense due to the fact that people generally don't have a clue what is involved here.

How many SEC games have we lost here, just this season? How many games would Tressel have to sit out, at the very most? 5, and any bowl game in the first season. THAT IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST, folks! And simply because of that slap, we could steal an Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops level coach here.

Nonsense? The only nonsense posted is the idea that UT should even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause violation against him.
So freakin what? I don't know how many times I have to say it...an NCAA Show Cause IS NOT A COACHING BAN!It is just a penalty that follows a coach. All of this is over some of his players selling some of their things, like jerseys and stuff. Whooptie-Freaking-Doo! Why should anyone care whether a college athlete sells his jersey? I guarantee you they wouldn't, if they were playing for a middle of the road conference team. Opposing fan bases made all this damn noise over nothing. They wanted Tressel out of their hair and seized upon a tiny little issue.

Bottom line, Tressel didn't do anything morally wrong...just wanted to keep the NCAA from making a mountain out of a mole hill, and now he's paying for it. That shouldn't concern us, though. 5 games is a small price to pay to get a coach who has shown a great deal of character over his career, and most importantly, who has shown year after year, that he knows how to win.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing this happen. He is a very successful coach who is able to motivate his players 5 games isn't that bad

How would hiring one of the best College HC's over the past decade be a "Lame Duck" hire. People READ THE FREAKIN ARTICLE. I'm getting tired of arguing against nonsense due to the fact that people generally don't have a clue what is involved here.

How many SEC games have we lost here, just this season? How many games would Tressel have to sit out, at the very most? 5, and any bowl game in the first season. THAT IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST, folks! And simply because of that slap, we could steal an Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops level coach here.

Jim Tressel pretty much did the same thing Bruce Pearl did but x10. There's no way to spin this hire as a positive thing for Tennessee. Tennessee fires Pearl for lying to the NCAA and then we hire someone who did the exact same thing.....

No chance, we are still on probation.
Link? Pretty sure the NCAA found no fault either in the UT AD or Kiffin. Can't believe how much dis-information goes on in these boards.

Tressel a weak coach in a weak conference? Are you freakin kidding me? If his team can get to the big dance and yet loses to the SEC's best...how does that make him a loser? In the SEC he can terrorize the other coaches the way he did in the Big 10.

Ask Michigan, Michigan State or Penn State fans if he's a weak coach.

So freakin what? I don't know how many times I have to say it...an NCAA Show Cause IS NOT A COACHING BAN!It is just a penalty that follows a coach. All of this is over some of his players selling some of their things, like jerseys and stuff. Whooptie-Freaking-Doo! Why should anyone care whether a college athlete sells his jersey? I guarantee you they wouldn't, if they were playing for a middle of the road conference team. Opposing fan bases made all this damn noise over nothing. They wanted Tressel out of their hair and seized upon a tiny little issue.

Bottom line, Tressel didn't do anything morally wrong...just wanted to keep the NCAA from making a mountain out of a mole hill, and now he's paying for it. That shouldn't concern us, though. 5 games is a small price to pay to get a coach who has shown a great deal of character over his career, and most importantly, who has shown year after year, that he knows how to win.

Man, this is just not true. he knowingly and willingly covered up violations. When confronted he even said he didnt know who to report it to. What kind of a dumba** response is that.

However, I could care less about a show cause too. I dont want him cause I dont think he's a very good coach. IMO

I don't think you know how bad a show-cause is. The penalties not only follow him and restrict him, especially in off-campus recruiting, but also, if a school hires a coach with a show-cause, the school is also subject to sanctions as well.

It's an awful idea to hire a coach who can't beat Bama, FL, or LSU. Not competing against the top of the SEC is why people want Dooley gone. Tressel couldn't do it with much more talented teams.

Jim Tressel pretty much did the same thing Bruce Pearl did but x10. There's no way to spin this hire as a positive thing for Tennessee. Tennessee fires Pearl for lying to the NCAA and then we hire someone who did the exact same thing.....
Again....it's relative to the offense. He believed it was none of the NCAA's business in the first place, whether some of his players wanted to sell their own shiite. And I agree with him. I'll be damned if I let a bunch of bureaucrats tell me I can't sell something I FREAKIN OWN. I don't even think that would hold up in court.

In fact, that is probably the coarse of action he should have taken instead. He should have threatened legal action against the NCAA if they tried to prevent in any way the freedom of players to sell their own personal belongings. That would have made them back off, IMO.

Tressel couldn't beat the sec in 2006, what makes you think it'd happen now.

VN Store

Back