Remember "Leonards Losers"?

wncvolfan

Time out from Vol bashing. Does anybody out there remember a radio show called "Leonard's Losers"? It usually came on on Saturday mornings and it featured a guy named Leaonard who picked the losers of the all the day's major football games. He sounded a lot like Jerry Clower and although his show was hilarious, he was pretty accurate in his picks. It's been a few years since I've heard it and I just wonder if it's still around. Sure would like to know because it was a highlight of my Saturday mornings.
Maybe I can refresh a few memories. The show always began with the Flatt and Scruggs recording of Foggy Mountain Breakdown and he had a sidekick named Percy. Here's an example of a game he might have picked:
"Georgia versus Florida. Georgia coach Vince Dooley leads a pack of hungry junkyard dawgs into Jacksonville to feast on some fresh king size lizard meat. But as any Florida swamper will tell you, a Gainesville Gator has a tough old hide and can bite just as hard as any Bulldog." (And so on and so on). And he would end the segment with his prediction. "Leonard's Loser, in a close one, Florida."
Man I got a kick out of that show and won a few bucks betting on his picks, too. Like to share a few memories if anybody's interested.

Hey man, it was the greatest..I use to never miss it. If we were travelling to K-town, we always made sure we found it on the radio.

It was a really good show, and the guy just knew exactly what to say to describe each team.

I wish it was still around...maybe it is...anybody know?

I havent seen or heard of it in years, but I used to bet 5 bucks on a parley pick 5 for 5 and won 100 bucks on it several times

I heard him on some small AM station a couple of years ago and was surprised then because I hadn't heard him in a long time. No idea if he's still around.

Havn't heard it since sometime in the mid 90s. I used to love it. They played it here on 99.7 WTN. There was another show they played right after it called "Southern Picwick Football" with some guy doing a really bad Keith Jackson impersonation.

Originally posted by crimedawg12@Oct 11, 2005 7:43 PM
Remeber Col. Billy Bob Tom Parker, or something like that?
[snapback]164609[/snapback]​

I think it was Billy Joe Tom Bob Parker. He was supposed to be the coach of some really small school (like Mississippi Cow College).

Thanks for the linkup GaVol. I enjoyed listening. I'm not sure that's the original "Leonard" that I remember. The voice is a little diferent but if he's not, he's just as good. Very funny and still nails his losers. Looks like he's averaging over 70%. Not bad for a country boy.

I was looking for him today via google and came across this old thread. Wish he were still around.

On a side note.
I caddied for Leonard and another guy at a Pat Boone tournament in Chattanooga.
We had a 10 am tee time. When Jimmy and Leonard showed up, you could smell the beer on their breath from 20 feet away. I pulled the cart around and the first thing they did was to start arguing about what to do with the huge cooler they brought.
The solution? We put the cooler in the back, whoever wins the hole rides and the loser walks.

Neither one of them put it in the hole in under 7 shots. When the people behind us would catch up, Leonard and Jimmy would come sit on the cart, drink more beer and let them play through.

Now in all honesty, being around all that free beer, I drank more than a few and was laughing my ass off.

We didn't finish till 6 pm.

2 last tidbits
Jimmy's daughter was head majorette at UT.
First and last time I ever heard Debby Boone curse.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

'Leonard Postosties' (Leonard Postero Sr.) died in 2001 at the age of 78. He was a UGA graduate, Athens resident, and a big Dawg fan. He had started his show in 1958 at WRFC-AM in Athens.

His son took over Leonard's Losers, but it was never the same.

Havn't heard it since sometime in the mid 90s. I used to love it. They played it here on 99.7 WTN. There was another show they played right after it called "Southern Picwick Football" with some guy doing a really bad Keith Jackson impersonation.

I remember this too. Plaster used to play it. I haven't heard this in years either.

Auburn at Tennessee

The Tigers head to Knoxville as an undefeated team to battle the Big Orange of Tennessee. Tennessee had to fight like the dickens against Ohio and probably had “post big game letdown syndrome” after losing to Florida last week. Usually the condition only lasts a week and then subsides, if it persists your opponent will make a phone call to Dr Kevorkian instead of Nurse Goodbody and with that kind of health care you might as well move to Canada!

Luckily for the Vols, that buzzer in their sick bed rings the nurse’s station instead of the doctor’s office.

Leonards Loser – Auburn

Last edited:
Leonard passed on a few years ago. His nephew Lenny attempted an online version but recently abandoned it.

i used to listen to the radio program too. hadn't heard that show name in a long time.
Sad he died in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Postero

In 1958, Postero taped his first Leonard's Losers radio show at station WRFC-AM in Athens. The show described college football matchups and then predicted which team would lose. Postero taped his show using a pseudonym of "Leonard Postosties" and was introduced by his sidekick "Percy Peabody" (also voiced by Postero). The show's "schtick" was a rural delivery style (a-la Jerry Clower) and comedic scripts using alternate nicknames for college teams, usually related to the school mascot, but occasionally related to the school itself. Some of these included "The Riflemen" (as opposed to Volunteers) for University of Tennessee, the "red clay hounds" (rather than Bulldogs) for University of Georgia teams, "giant water lizards" (rather than Gators) for University of Florida, "pachyderms" to refer to the University of Alabama (because the school often uses an elephant symbol), and "the Pope's pupils" to refer to the University of Notre Dame (referring to its status as a Catholic university, rather than its "Fighting Irish" mascot). Leonard claimed that he possessed a "little smart pill machine" to come up with his prognostications and always closed his broadcast with a plea to his sidekick to "get me out of here, Percy". A game might be described as follows:
"Phillip Fulmer leads his Rifleman into the Athens Kennel for a shooting match with Jim Donnan's Pack of Drool Dogs. The Volunteer Army has owned the K-9s of late, while the Red Clay Hounds think its about time to sink their teeth into the Big Orange Rifle Brigade. The Knoxville Army is angry after last week, but the Athens Dawgs will get the job done. Leonard's Loser? Tennessee"
At the height of its popularity, Leonard's Losers was carried on over 1400 radio stations, including Armed Forces Radio. Postero also published a weekly newsletter called Leonard's Losers.[1]
Postero retired in 1999 and a group of Athens businessmen purchased the show.[1] As part of the transition to the new owners the new voice of Leonard Postosties was introduced as Leonard's nephew though there was no relation between the two. The show is currently delivered only via the web.
However at the end of the 2005 season, a message appeared on Leonard's Website saying that due to personal reasons Leonard was unable to make his predictions and hopes to return later in the season. This message remained on the website until 2007 when the website went down. However a search on the web will find old pages on the site still active but not updated. In fact the most current audio of the show is the end of the 2004 season.

VN Store

Back