Bottom line: College football kicks ass!

lawgator1

I grew up in South Florida and currently reside in the Orlando area. I've got the Dolphins as the stalwart. I've got the Jags just to the north and the Bucs 90 minutes to the west. And still, I'll watch Texas-Oklahoma on television rather than go to one of those NFL games, in person.

I went last year to LSU-Florida. The level of fan excitement, and effort on the field, was over the top. I've been to the cocktail party, been to a Gator game in Auburn, and seen some games down at the Orange Bowl.

To me, college football is so much more entertaining than its big brother counterpart. Why?

For one thing, when you grow up going to your school's team, you've got automatic loyalty. For another, in the age of trades and free agency, it seems like most players are "at" your NFL team as part of a sequence in their career. I'm not delusional and I realize the top college players are eyeing and angling for a spot with big $, but there's so much less team concept at the NFL level than the college level.

But the number one reason I think college football is so superior to the NFL is the purity of the institutions behind them. I don't mean the NCAA, I mean the schools. Whose behind the NFL teams (save Green Bay)? A pure money-making outfit. Profit-driven. Success on the field is value because it means success in the bank account.

True a successful college team generates $ for the university. But its a completely different mindset, I believe, than the sole goal of an NFL franchise being to make money.
College football, while not totally pure, is much closer to the fans' vision of winning being its own reward than the pro game.

I agree LG.I have probably turned down at least 5 free tickets to the Titans even though they're my favorite NFL team, even an offer or two to sit in a sponsors booth down there,free food,drinks, plus my wife has free garage parking close to the stadium,and even though I'm only 30 minutes from Nashville, I'd much rather drive to Knoxville(3 hours away) and pay for tickets to the game.The excitement and interest for the NFL just doesn't do it for me.I have also noticed concerning NFL players post game attitudes, they go around shaking hands, win or lose, smiling, I mean that's fine but it just tells me they are in it really for the money and they will get paid win or lose.The college handed down traditions(through family members,etc.) are just unmatchable.

I grew up in South Florida and currently reside in the Orlando area. I've got the Dolphins as the stalwart. I've got the Jags just to the north and the Bucs 90 minutes to the west. And still, I'll watch Texas-Oklahoma on television rather than go to one of those NFL games, in person.

I went last year to LSU-Florida. The level of fan excitement, and effort on the field, was over the top. I've been to the cocktail party, been to a Gator game in Auburn, and seen some games down at the Orange Bowl.

To me, college football is so much more entertaining than its big brother counterpart. Why?

For one thing, when you grow up going to your school's team, you've got automatic loyalty. For another, in the age of trades and free agency, it seems like most players are "at" your NFL team as part of a sequence in their career. I'm not delusional and I realize the top college players are eyeing and angling for a spot with big $, but there's so much less team concept at the NFL level than the college level.

But the number one reason I think college football is so superior to the NFL is the purity of the institutions behind them. I don't mean the NCAA, I mean the schools. Whose behind the NFL teams (save Green Bay)? A pure money-making outfit. Profit-driven. Success on the field is value because it means success in the bank account.

True a successful college team generates $ for the university. But its a completely different mindset, I believe, than the sole goal of an NFL franchise being to make money.
College football, while not totally pure, is much closer to the fans' vision of winning being its own reward than the pro game.

Well said Law. Here in Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee we do not have a pro team close by, even if we did it would not dampen our spirit here. I know what you are saying about being brought up where Football is a religion. I watched Spurrier play High School football, then there was this little kid up the street that my brothers and I played sand lot football with you know him as Richard Todd , my High football coach was a all American at Alabama Jerry Watford and ever time I walked through the door at Bristol Virginia Jr High up above was the pitures of Feathers and McEvers and then there was the football talk after church on Sunday morning in the 50's and so I have been hooked ever and since. And how I became a Vol ? well that's another story.

LG I'm right there with you on college football even though you are a gator fan. It's the best.

While I enjoy the and appreciate the level of athleticism in the NFL, free angency has taken some of the fun out of rooting for a team.

It doesn't help that my favorite NFL franchise, the Miami Dolphins, will be mired in mediocrity for many years to come.

I agree with your points, but for me it's simple:

1. NFL players play for a salary, college athletes play for the school.
2. From a psychoanalysis point of view - which would you rather watch - someone performing their job for a salary, or someone working through the interview to get the job?

I agree 100% with Law Lizard =) Good post bud!

well said and you've covered all the biggies. and while at heart most fans feel the same way, i know i do, there has to be a concesssion that today's college football isn't what it used to be.

the thing that does frustrate me is that there has been some tarnishing of college football that has been the result of greed. make no mistake, the college game is in it to make money as well, and they are doing nicely. growing up in the South and a college football fan it is a bit disheartening to see the coporate influence of the bowl system. not that it's not always been there, but to no longer have the Peach Bowl or hte Citrus Bowl or the Indepndence Bowl sours the traditional flavor they used to have.

which brings me to the BCS. as has been discussed on here at length, the BCS, as good as it is, has devalued other bowl games. the citruis, cotton, gator etc...used to be considered big games. and while they were never mistaken for the Sugar, Orange or Rose, there was still some measure of satisfaction of "playing on new year's day". that no longer has the same meaning it once did.

but at the end of the day, the BEST thing about college football in relation to the NFL is the fact that EVERY game really does matter. No one is playing "just to get in". Losing a rivalry game means 365 days of hearing about it, not waiting until later on the same season to enact revenge were you can be .500 gainst your biggest rival, thus solving nothing in regards to bragging rights. game day is better. Game night is even better. at no point during the regular season in the NFL does it compare to the college atmosphere. you have to wait until January when the playoffs start to get close to it, and by then, your NFL team may not be around, and so, who cares?

i won't care if i miss the Atlanta/Tampa Bay game. I care if I miss the Ole Miss/MSU game. and as much NFl as i get to see in person in both Charlotte and Pittsburgh, it, when all is said and done, is only a nice way to end the weekend where what really mattered happened the day before.:salute:

It's hard for me to say which I like more... I like the Titans more than I do the Vols, but I pay attention to other teams in the NCAA more than I do to others in the NFL. I also like the playoffs over the Bowls. I guess if I had to choose to get rid of one I would keep the NFL, if anyone cares.

It's hard for me to say which I like more... I like the Titans more than I do the Vols, but I pay attention to other teams in the NCAA more than I do to others in the NFL. I also like the playoffs over the Bowls. I guess if I had to choose to get rid of one I would keep the NFL, if anyone cares.
Boooo... :bad:

The two are totally different. College football is sentimentality and regional tradition. The NFL is the best football players in the world playing on the national stage. College Football=A date with your high school sweetheart. The NFL=A night in Vegas with Amber Smith.

The two are totally different. College football is sentimentality and regional tradition. The NFL is the best football players in the world playing on the national stage. College Football=A date with your high school sweetheart. The NFL=A night in Vegas with Amber Smith.

Translation: We love college football, but we really appreciate the NFL.

VN Store

Back