560 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The Golf Thread Page 2. within the forum Sports Forum. We will be weeeelllllllll.........getting .....lets say HAMMERED and have some Monte Cristos on the side ...

Go Back   VolNation > Sports Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Go Vols

We will be weeeelllllllll.........getting .....lets say HAMMERED and have some Monte Cristos on the side
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Vol View Post
Thanks great advice, the hit down on the ball I will take to heart because I do what you said, try to sweep under it.

Leads to shanking the ball, slicing the ball, topping the ball... The one thing that does not do is lift it off the damn ground.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
13-14 in handshakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgator1 View Post
Leads to shanking the ball, slicing the ball, topping the ball... The one thing that does not do is lift it off the damn ground.
So true. I suck at golf because I do exactly that, sweep under it.
justingroves is offline   TOP
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Go Vols

You picture this sweet sweep in you head and then clack 1 foot drive woo hoo
Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
not in Arizona anymore

Isn't it true with your woods off the tee to have a swing that sweeps?

Obviously irons you swing down. My irons are getting much better in my 2nd season of golf.

However, I can blast the off the tee with my driver or my 3 wood, but my slice is awful.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post

Obviously irons you swing down. My irons are getting much better in my 2nd season of golf.

However, I can blast the off the tee with my driver or my 3 wood, but my slice is awful.
Yea irons are hard so I will hit down on the ball.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wave yo hands in the aiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post

The only club that should sweep would be the driver and that's based solely upon ball position. Some good pros will sweep the 3 wood, but majority tee it low and catch it with a slight descending blow, generating back spin to lift the ball. If they are trying to hit a moon ball that stops quickly, they might move it a bit forward in their stance to catch it on the flat stretch of swing, but 3 woods are made with slight bit of bounce to press the hands forward of the ball just a hair. That bounce can be deadly to the mere mortal trying to sweep a 3 wood.

If you really want to get better, scrap the long stuff for a while and hit tons of shots from 40 yards and closer. That way, you'll stop caring about distance and begin to develop good directional control, a feel for the center of the club and some rhythm to the swing. Not to mention you'll shave about a jillion strokes.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaVol View Post
The only club that should sweep would be the driver and that's based solely upon ball position. Some good pros will sweep the 3 wood, but majority tee it low and catch it with a slight descending blow, generating back spin to lift the ball. If they are trying to hit a moon ball that stops quickly, they might move it a bit forward in their stance to catch it on the flat stretch of swing, but 3 woods are made with slight bit of bounce to press the hands forward of the ball just a hair. That bounce can be deadly to the mere mortal trying to sweep a 3 wood.

If you really want to get better, scrap the long stuff for a while and hit tons of shots from 40 yards and closer. That way, you'll stop caring about distance and begin to develop good directional control, a feel for the center of the club and some rhythm to the swing. Not to mention you'll shave about a jillion strokes.
Truer words never spoken. Ask any PGA player and they will confirm that 95 percent of scoring is about what happens inside 100 yards.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaVol View Post

Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
I'm Your Huckleberry

.....And hit the putting green again, and again, and again.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexvol View Post
WITH THE GOLF CART.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

putting is the only good part pf my golf game. and by good i mean not horrendous
Old 04-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
Wave yo hands in the aiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexvol View Post
exactly. 3-6 footers ad infinitum and a lot of distance control drills.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Fear The Monarchs!

i know where you are coming on hitting down on the ball, but it's more important to come through the ball during the swing, not necessarily hit down on the ball. the mistake is scooping or sweeping and bringing the club up as you make contact with the ball. the angle of the club makes the ball get up in the air. maybe it's just different wording, but my opinion nonetheless.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Nolite confidere crepitu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfanbill View Post
i know where you are coming on hitting down on the ball, but it's more important to come through the ball during the swing, not necessarily hit down on the ball.
Those two things aren't really mutually exclusive though. If you'll watch most of the guys on TV hit down on the irons while releasing the club through impact. You're still hitting the ball first.
Closed Thread