LSU Coach Pokey Chatman quits over alleged inapproiate relationship

wow what a total shocker. I wonder why? Even though she was the coach for LSU it was nice to see her take over the program like the way she did after the passing of coach Sue.

Tired of being MANhandled in the loccer room after the ballgames.

Those LSU *cough* girls *cough* are a rough bunch.

Unbelievable!! Check out the article below. Chatman just suddenly resigns from LSU!

LSU coach Chatman announces

LSU women's basketball coach Pokey Chatman, who twice took the Lady Tigers to the Final Four after taking over as head coach in 2004, unexpectedly announced her resignation Wednesday.

Chatman

"I have notified the university today that I will step down as head coach of the women's basketball program in order to allow me to pursue other career opportunities," Chatman said in a prepared statement that did not give details about those other opportunities.

The 35-year-old Chatman said she would stay with the team through the upcoming NCAA Tournament and will be under contract until April 30.

"To eliminate any further distraction from our preparation for and participation in the NCAA Tournament, I will have no further comment and answer no questions on this subject," she added.

Michael Bonnette, a sports information director at the school, confirmed the resignation and said it was unexpected. "I was stunned," Bonnette said.

"We respect the decision that Pokey Chatman has made regarding her future career opportunities," athletic director Skip Bertman said in a news release. "On behalf of LSU, I thank her for her athletic accomplishments as a player and as a coach, and for the community service work she has performed for Baton Rouge and Louisiana."

LSU officials said the media was not permitted to contact any of Chatman's current players until further notice.

The Lady Tigers, currently ranked tenth in the nation, are 26-7 this season after losing to Vanderbilt on Sunday night in the Southeastern Conference tournament championship game.

Chatman is 90-14 as LSU's head coach. Before that, she was 15-5 as acting head coach during the latter stages of the 2003-04 season, when longtime coach Sue Gunter left the team because of lung cancer. That included a trip to the Final Four in New Orleans, where the Lady Tigers fell in the semifinals to Tennessee.

Her decision to leave came as a surprise in light of her long ties to LSU and her never before indicating publicly that she was dissatisfied with her job.

Chatman, a Louisiana native, has been at LSU as both a player and coach for nearly 18 years.

Playing guard, she was one of LSU's career assist and steals leaders. After her playing career ended in 1991, she spent one season as a student assistant coach and then 12 seasons as associate coach under Gunter.

LSU won SEC regular-season titles in her first two seasons as a head coach and made it to the Final Four last season.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

That makes three SEC women's teams without coaches. Florida, Arkansas and now LSU. Wonder if she is going to one of those other schools?

Kelly Jolly deserves a look from some of these schools. And I also agree about Moore!

We'll welcome her with open arms at UF. :peace2:

But whats this inappropriate contact thing...I haven't heard anything about that?

We'll welcome her with open arms at UF. :peace2:

But whats this inappropriate contact thing...I haven't heard anything about that?

I took a look at some LSU boards this morning and it's the hot rumor. Since I do not know the real story I will let you research it.

something stinks on this one. you dont just up and leave your alma mater for more money. heck Pat could make a ton of money in the wnba compared to what she makes at UT. i hope pokey hasent gone and got herself into trouble. she is a good coach but no matter where she ends up she wont have a winning record against Tennessee.

something stinks on this one. you dont just up and leave your alma mater for more money. heck Pat could make a ton of money in the wnba compared to what she makes at UT. i hope pokey hasent gone and got herself into trouble. she is a good coach but no matter where she ends up she wont have a winning record against Tennessee.
She's 1-0 in her last 1.

its either inappropriate contact with players or with a coach or coaches.
I tend to think its probably more of the latter becuase the former should result in immediate firing. But the latter might not require a dismissal.
Of course John Brady has been sleeping with players for years :)

VN Store

Back