John Saunders RIP

Since there is no cause listed, and since he was writing a yet to be published book about his battles with severe depression, I would take a stab at suicide. I hope I am wrong.

Hope you're wrong too. Having friends and family that have dealth with that, there just are no answers in that situation. Sad news. Really liked John Saunders.

Hope you're wrong too. Having friends and family that have dealth with that, there just are no answers in that situation. Sad news. Really liked John Saunders.
I know too many that have committed suicide. I made a list a couple of years ago, since it seemed like I knew so many that had done it. I believe there were 16 people on the list that I knew personally, and most of them I knew pretty well. It is tough on the ones they leave behind.

Horrible. It's weird when people who are widely appreciated are depressed. It goes to show how difficult the struggle with depression can be.

R.I.P. to someone who always seemed to come across as a good guy.
Depression can be a prison and all of the celebrity, wealth, or money some may acquire, it has the potential to keep you chained to your sadness.

John Saunders Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Saunders recently co-wrote a book with John U. Bacon, Playing Hurt: My Journey from Despair to Hope, about his battles with depression. It is set for release in April 2017.

According to the description of the book, Saunders “confesses his constant battle with depression and how it nearly cost him his life.” The book, “welcomes readers into the heart of his desperate struggle against depression: from insights into the illness’s root causes to the nature of modern treatments, from both a medical and cultural perspective. His story unfolds as so many of our lives do – among family, friends and colleagues – but it also peers into places we don’t often discuss openly – psych wards and hospitals. Here is the honest story of a public figure facing his own mental illness head on, and emerging far better for his effort.”

Last edited:
Since there is no cause listed, and since he was writing a yet to be published book about his battles with severe depression, I would take a stab at suicide. I hope I am wrong.

Dang, I didn't know he battled depression. That's not good.

Horrible. It's weird when people who are widely appreciated are depressed. It goes to show how difficult the struggle with depression can be.
I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression 25 years ago and can say that when a particularity severe episode hits the pain and hopelessness can become simply overwhelming. I attempted suicide a couple of times in my younger days but luckily I botched them both. Looking back on it now years later I have never been so relived to be incompetent at something.:)

The Depression never goes away but medication and therapy helps tons. Family and friends and a strong support system in general is the key to being able to want to fight out of that cold abyss that can settle into your mind in a bad episode.

My thoughts are with Mr Saunders family and friends

RIP Sir

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I bring this up simply because Depression isn't anyone's fault. It is a illness of the mind. If you know anyone that suffers just make sure to monitor, talk and stay aware of any changes in their mood or habits. The video below explains things better than I ever could.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVG3h_DwXk[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's a definite *****. You wake up feeling a certain way and don't know why. You feel hopeless so in my case at least you develop an attitude of not giving a damn about anything because the other option is so overwhelming. The problem with not giving a damn is it often puts you further in the hole giving more reasons for depression. It's a damn difficult thing to overcome and to admit it seems like weakness.

I've suffered mild depression for a while now, but I wouldn't compare myself to those that really suffer with it. I've had bad days, sometimes lasted over a week. I've never gotten to a point where I thought about ending my own life, but I did feel like it wouldn't matter if I died or not, and that was bad enough.

The worst part for me was trying to explain how I felt, because even the ones close to me I talked to about wanted a reason why I felt that way and it would frustrate me to keep saying "I don't know why I feel that way" and really mean it.

VN Store

Back