The 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio

95 Vol Alum

Go Big Vols!
Brought to you this year by raw sewage, body parts, and the Zika virus!

USA! USA! USA!

This is going to be a mess, they might as well have gone back to Sarajevo in 1996.

I love how when the British sailing team got equipment stolen they gave the ultra PC "That's part of the challenge of competing here" answer.

Last edited:
I love the Olympics and have since I was a kid.

This week I have been DVRing the USA Team Trials for Swimming and now track events have started. Its been both exciting & a bit heartbreaking to watch as past Olympic heroes get pushed out by young upstarts.

Its really the only time I will ever watch the vast majority of these sports from soccer to things like water polo I usually only watch ever 4 years.

One more thing people always like to talk about the greatest athletes of a generation or of our time. Well if Michael Phelps name isn't included on such list then you might as well quit the guy has been the most dominate athlete in any sport for over 15 years. He's also heading to his 5th Olympics!

There is also some big news that could effect Team USA's (& former Vol Justin Gatlin) track & field Gold medals in Rio.

Usain Bolt could miss Rio Olympics after suffering hamstring tear at Jamaica trials

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Usain Bolt’s Olympic quest is in doubt, after the sprint superstar left his country’s national championships with a hamstring injury shortly before he was going to run the 100-meter final.

And that was just one part of a bizarre night at National Stadium.

Bolt’s longtime rival Yohan Blake won the 100 title and formally qualified for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics — but only after a false-start disqualification call against him was overturned after review.

But even after Blake regrouped and prevailed, all the buzz was about Bolt and his status going forward especially since the national meet serves as the Jamaican Olympic trials.

He’s not out of the Rio Games, but his status hinges now on how he does at a meet in London in three weeks. Bolt said he was diagnosed with a Grade 1 hamstring tear — the most mild sort — and that the discomfort began presenting itself in his quarterfinal race on Thursday night.

“I have submitted a medical exemption to be excused from the 100m final and the remainder of the National Championships,” Bolt said in a statement released through Jamaican officials.

“I will seek treatment immediately and hope to show fitness at the London Anniversary Games on July 22 to earn selection for the Olympic Games in Rio

Blake, who finished second to Bolt at the London Games in the 100, said he was confident that the world-record-holder will be in Rio.....

This is going to be a mess, they might as well have gone back to Sarajevo in 1996.

I love how when the British sailing team got equipment stolen they gave the ultra PC "That's part of the challenge of competing here" answer.

That's an awesome line.

Reactions: 1 person
If any athletes become sick after swimming, rowing, or sailing in the feces-infested waterways around Rio, they are SOL since the hospitals in the area have no funding and are running out of basics like syringes. But there is good news: there's no point in going to the hospital because the bacteria in the water is antibiotic resistant superbacteria, so the hospitals wouldn't be able to help anyway.

Here is a interesting note.

18 year old Vashti Cunningham (Bishop Gorman High School, Summerlin, NV) made the U.S. Olympic Team qualifying 2nd in the Women's High Jump.

She is the youngest U.S. track and field athlete to reach the Olympics since 1980.

Vashti is the daughter of former NFL Pro Bowl Quarterback Randall Cunningham.

Another high schooler made the US Team!

16-Year-Old Sydney McLaughlin finished 3rd in the Women's 400m hurdles.

Behind a blistering pace and meet record set by Dalilah Muhammed, high school junior Sydney McLaughlin broke the 400 hurdles world junior record and clinched an Olympic berth. Muhammed ran 52.88 to become the No. 5 American performer of all time, Ashley Spencer finished second after running three full rounds in the 400 and the 400 hurdles, and McLaughlin ran 54.15 to break the decade-old world junior record.

Muhammed torched the field early, but McLaughlin was part of a large group fighting for the last two spots over the last three hurdles. Spencer grabbed second out of lane seven and McLaughlin, in the middle of the track, beat Kori Carter by 0.3 for the last ticket to Rio.

A young lady from my small town of Cabot, AR just made it to Rio with the women's pole vault team. She is a freshman at U of A in Fayetteville. Not bad for a rookie!

10 arrested for a terrorist plot. Surprise surprise.

exactly, not surprising.

I think there would be terrorist issues no matter the location. Already bad enough when there are tons of people in one place, but especially when there are representatives from many countries that are all vulnerable

A young lady from my small town of Cabot, AR just made it to Rio with the women's pole vault team. She is a freshman at U of A in Fayetteville. Not bad for a rookie!

One of my college roommates made the last olympics for swimming. He was a national record holder in Bolivia, but like 5th best on his college swim team, hahaha.

Great piece on the IOC being aired by Real Sports for those that have HBO. Just trashed their greedy asses.

And the hits just keep coming.

Rio Olympics 2016: Laptop, shirts stolen as Australian athletes are evacuated

... and not just thefts during the evacuation, but
The fire alarms in the building had been deactivated without Australian officials being told and veteran shooter Warren Potent revealed he slept through the scare, not woken by door knocking or phone calls.

"Obviously that is completely unacceptable that (a) the fire alarm was disabled and (b) that if it had to be, that we weren't warned about that," Australian chef de mission Kitty Chiller said.

No way I would attend this crap. I hope all athletes are safe after this **** show is over.

VN Store

Back