The Unofficial 2015 U.S. Open Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
The draw is out and can be found here: Men's Singles | Draws | 2015 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event

Rafa drew Borna Coric in the first round. Ouch.

Murray drew Kyrgios in the first round. Double ouch.

Here is KidB's list of contenders in order of their chances of winning the tournament as determined solely by KidB right here on the spot.

1. Djoke
2. Murray
3. Kei
4. Fed (he wins cincy every year, so let's not get carried away with the conclusions we draw from that)
5. Stan
6. Cilic
-----
128. Mardy Fish

Reactions: 1 person
Haven't looked at the draw yet, but saw where Djoker and Nadal could met in QF. I think I saw where Federer could meet Stan or Murray in SF.

I will say this about Federer's form: If Kevin Anderson had beaten Djoker, Federer would have 18 majors by winning Wimbledon last month. And at Cincy, he was blasting people off the court looking quick, powerful, accurate and focused. He was very sharp against Murray and Djokovic.

Having said that, he has been a favorite or heavy-favorite coming out of Cincy a few times in recent past and has been sent packing at the US Open. Point by kidb is taken. However, I predict a solid run by Federer and a spot in the final.

Djokovic is the player to beat now until proven otherwise. But he has had a nagging arm issue and hasn't played his best in recent weeks. He has persevered through rough waters and found ways to win close matches. Don't be surprised if he has a couple close(r) calls on his way to the final.

Nadal is vulnerable and could be taken out at any point. I don't know his potential matchups, but whatever ails him this year is unlikely to be fixed now. He's played better recently, but still is not consistent and reliable.

Murray has also played well winning in Montreal. He should be well rested in time for a deep run in New York.

I am not saying Federer is the favorite to win the US Open. But he is playing well enough to win it. No one is playing better than he is headed in to the Open. If it translates over the next two weeks, he has a real chance.

Possible second round fun. Isner/Dr. Ivo could be a fun, if not short 3 tiebreak match. I had to put Isner as the winner in my bracket. I just can't go with anyone but Djoke and Serena as the winners. I think it will also be interesting to see if Fish can win two matches in his swan song.

It would be a real good idea for Kyrgios to keep his tongue tied tonight. I think Murray will probably kill him, anyway - at least on court.

I can never forgive Rafa for the whippin' he has given my homeboy Fed over the years, but I do like the guy and hate to see the struggle. I don't believe he is in a permanent rut, but it's undeniable that he is not the same player of even a year ago.

Going into the 2nd week of the Open, the more things change the more they stay the same. I look for Cilic and Djokovic to battle for a spot in the final from the Top section of draw.

Bottom section will most likely see Wawrinka/Murray battle Federer for a spot in the final.

Federer hasn't been tested yet, but at the same time is playing so well that no opponent has had a chance to test him. He looked skittish against Kohl yesterday but still got off court in an hour and a half.

My concerns are (1) getting thru Isner's serve which can send you packing in no time, (2) facing a grueling semi with Wawa or Murray and surviving and (3) having something left for the money favorite Djokovic.

Heart says Federer; mind says Djokovic. Should be great final week of matches.

Boy, howdy! Who saw Kevin Anderson coming. Not Murray. I sure didn't. That puts a new makeup on the beast. If Roger gets past the bomber, Isner, he will either face his countryman, Wawrinka, who gives him problems nowadays, or another bomber in Anderson.

I can never forgive Rafa for the whippin' he has given my homeboy Fed over the years, but I do like the guy and hate to see the struggle. I don't believe he is in a permanent rut, but it's undeniable that he is not the same player of even a year ago.

I think he might be. It makes me so sad. Rafa is not merely my favorite tennis player, but possibly my favorite athlete.

Big win there for Cilic. But then of course now he gets to get his whuppins from Novak, per usual.

My concerns are (1) getting thru Isner's serve which can send you packing in no time, (2) facing a grueling semi with Wawa or Murray and surviving and (3) having something left for the money favorite Djokovic.

Heart says Federer; mind says Djokovic. Should be great final week of matches.

Tough to bet against Djoker on a hard court, but Fed is playing some great tennis.

Who beats Isner 7-0 in a breaker?

Boy, howdy! Who saw Kevin Anderson coming. Not Murray. I sure didn't. That puts a new makeup on the beast. If Roger gets past the bomber, Isner, he will either face his countryman, Wawrinka, who gives him problems nowadays, or another bomber in Anderson.

Stan gives anyone problems when he goes full on beastmode.

It would be a real good idea for Kyrgios to keep his tongue tied tonight. I think Murray will probably kill him, anyway - at least on court.

Kyrgios has a ton of talent. He needs a coach or something. He can win multiple majors.

Federer will beat Gasguet with ease and Djokovic will beat Felpez with ease.

Federer will destroy Anderson, but could have trouble with the Stanimal.

Djokovic owns Cilic and so you gotta think it'll be either Stan or Fed v. Djoker.

There was no danger of Venus winning that match last night. First, I don't think she can beat Serena straight up any longer. It looked to me like Serena played the part well in the second set to make it look legit. Serena may lose the US Open this year, but not to Venus.

After watching Djokovic's last couple of matches, I like Cilic's chances against him in the quarter-final matchup. I don't think Cilic will win, but his game has come on in New York this week and he has a chance against anyone. Djoker has looked sloppy at times but hasn't paid the price yet. Of the player's left, Cilic can make him pay and so can Wawrinka.

A word on Kevin Anderson. I have always rooted for more success for this guy. He seems to be a totally nice person and great player. However, he seems really nervy and can lose the grip on a match quickly. Maybe the win over Murray was a break through for the South African. If so, watch out. He got game.

I can see no way that Gasquet can hurt Federer tonight. Federer is playing too well right now. The caveat with Federer, though, is he is prone to hiccup at any moment and could be sent packing. I doubt it is tonight even if he if off his game. The matchup in the semi is more tricky if he advances and meets Wawrinka.

As a tennis fan, there is not a bad match left on the men's side no matter how it shakes out.

I think Federer will beat Wawrinka in 4 or 5. How much energy will he have to expend in that match to advance? If he wins, will he have anything left for the final?

I feel a close match between Djoker and Cilic as well. Conserving energy much less important in this match.

Does Cilic advance to the final, crush Federer's last chance at a major and defend his US Open title?

Should be interesting.

I think that the Wawa match will definitely take something out of Fed, regardless. Part of it depends on the rain, unbelievable as that may sound. If Roger gets a final on Monday or even Tuesday, he should be rested enough to compete with anyone.
Outside of that, how do you pick anyone but Djoke?

Having spent two weeks convincing myself that Federer has a real shot at winning the Open, I am now convinced he cannot get thru Wawrinka and then defeat Djokovic or Cilic in the final.

I can't figure out how to post the link from Grantland, but they have an excellent Federer article up today. Read it if you get time.

I've written for years, but I couldn't touch that one. Louisa Thomas is quite the writer. Very well done.

On the women's side, I have it on the Open but probably won't pay any attention to either one. Not a good day for watching tennis.

Memphis, that is the article indeed. Great writing. The first paragraph is superb. Thanks for the link.

VN Store

Back