The Unofficial 2015 Wimbledon Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Sorry, late to the party.

Rafa to quarters, baby!

serenawalk.gif

I honestly have no clue this year. Gotta go with Djoker until someone steps up to take him out. He's got Wawrinka in his half of the draw so it could get interesting for him.

If you looked at the draw with DBrown v Rafa, you would have thought it would be a shocker if Brown won. Or a fluke, or something. Rafa could not find his game and Brown didn't play a bad match at all. Sad, nevertheless.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDyBa8u7sA[/youtube]

This is literally the only point I've seen Roger Federer play this entire Wimbledon. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

From what I hear, Federer has played really well so far. Djokovic also. Murray as well.

Amazing how easily I forget my hatred of Sharapova in between slams. Like Pavlov's dog, I'll turn on the tv to watch tennis. Sharapova is playing. I say, "Ah, nice. I will watch her play tennis." One point later, when she starts screaming bloody murder on a basic groundstroke - and every other thereafter until I can turn the channel -- I wish she'd just explode.

Nadal sounds defeated and exasperated. I think it is a mental block more than anything. I've long said his mental block has allowed him to be as great as he has been in his career. His quirks seemed to make him immune to human mortality on the court. For whatever reason, he game is suffering. I think it is mental. Whatever goes on inside his head has flipped and doesn't look repairable as things stand. I look for major changes in his camp soon. Something has to give just to shake things up.

Extra innings, tonight, as it should be. They need to finish.

Fed's draw seems like he can just glide into the semis. Collision course with Murray? Could be a very good match. Pretty much the same for Djokovich. I'd be interested to see him play Kyrgios, though. Difficult for me to tell, through his demeanor, whether Kyrgios would rather be a tennis player or a gangsta. I suppose he's just a kid trying to play both parts.

Serena did a good job of getting past Watson. Even though she managed to get it done, she probably shouldn't have been able to when down two breaks. Watson could have taken that one. Minus Kvitova, which we are, I don't see a soul that can challenge Serena. Feral Sharapova would probably have the best chance, yet still go down in flames.

I did forget to mention Madison Keys, who is really coming on at this point.

I was very surprised they moved the Monfils-Simon match onto Centre Court when it got to dark to continue on Court 1. That was a great decision.

Got to see the Federer match today. He is playing well. His draw sets him up for a showdown with Murray in the Semis (I think). Should they both survive until then, I think that matchup is 60/40 Federer. Maybe 55/45.

Hard to see anyone derailing Djoker at least until the potential rematch against Wawrinka. However, it remains to be seen just how lasting his wounds are after the French Open.

Unless Richard Williams has told Serena to lay down against Venus, I don't see anyone beating her. As Memphis said, Heather Watson should have won that match against Serena yesterday.

I hate that there is no tennis on the middle Sunday at Wimbledon.

Funny line from Nadal at his press conference following his loss the other day.

The reporter asked him if he planned on sticking around Wimbledon for a few more days even though he was out of the tournament.

Nadal fumbled around for a second before saying something along the lines of "no, i'm going home, the rental house will be free if that's what you're asking and want to use it."

I thought Djokovic was done yesterday. And I thought Anderson was ready to pull the upset as it went to Day 2.

At this point, I'm not sure if surviving this match strengths Djoker's run or weakens it. He still has huge hurdle potentially awaiting in the semi.

I think the Murray/Federer half of the draw could be in much better shape heading into a final. We'll know soon enough.

Remarkable comeback by Djokovich. His confidence must have taken a jolt after that match, though.

I don't know what Serena's record is against Azarenka, probably heavily in Serena's favor. But if she shows up with the same game she brought the other day, she might as well not show. Azarenka will eat her lunch if she does. I've made sure my mute button is in working order for that one.

Interesting match between Gasquet and Wawrinka. I won't spoil it for you if you recorded it, but it was as if they were challenging each other to see who has the best one-handed backhand. Both are excellent.

What has gotten into Gasquet? I am shocked that he has made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon. You have to take Djokovic in that matchup.

Federer v. Murray is interesting. Murray is playing well, but so is Federer. I like Federer's chances if he can close it out in 4 sets. I like Murray's chances if it goes 5. I pick Federer in a close match.

The key from here on out is Federer's serve game holding up and attacking Murray's very weak second serve. Federer will have break chances and cannot let them slip away.

Gasquet has been playing really well. Serve is on. Backhand is smokin.' Still gotta take Novak in the semi. I like Roger in the Semis, as well. He's playing some pretty good ball.
The good news is there is some eye-candy in the women's final. Muguruza is cute as a bug. Don't see her winning, but anything is possible.

Semis go about as expected. Novak in 3, Roger in 3. I think we probably all expected Roger's to go at least four, but no. This sets up another epic final, depending on your point of view.

Roger is moving as well as I've ever seen him. He is stroking his groundies, making a shot dead to the corner, and one second later, stroking it dead to the other corner, moving his opponent around mercilessly. His serve is on and dead-accurate. John McEnrroe gives the edge to Roger.

With Novak, it's much the same, only he turns defense to offense at the drop of a hat - and consistently. Novak is serving well, too.

Who gets the edge in this scenario?

My take: This one goes at least four sets, but movement will win the day. And NOBODY moves better than Novak, and I think it wins the day for Gumby. But that's just my opinion - wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way.

Federer is fighting; Djokovic is just slightly better so far. Momentum is with Djoker coming out of the rain delay up a break. Such a great match. Hope they maintain this level and Federer can hang tough to pull out the win.

If you looked at the draw with DBrown v Rafa, you would have thought it would be a shocker if Brown won. Or a fluke, or something. Rafa could not find his game and Brown didn't play a bad match at all. Sad, nevertheless.

Rafa is actually 0-2 v. Brown.

Poor Rafa. I worry he may be done. He was never built for longevity.

What has gotten into Gasquet? I am shocked that he has made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon. You have to take Djokovic in that matchup.

Federer v. Murray is interesting. Murray is playing well, but so is Federer. I like Federer's chances if he can close it out in 4 sets. I like Murray's chances if it goes 5. I pick Federer in a close match.

The key from here on out is Federer's serve game holding up and attacking Murray's very weak second serve. Federer will have break chances and cannot let them slip away.

Apparently Gasquet has a good team around him. He's gotten in better shape and has a good coach as well. He isn't a crazy athlete like the top 4, but he's a solid shotmaker.

I thought Murray would beat Federer -- I could lie but I cannot tell a lie -- but Fed just freaking raised up his game like crazy.

VN Store

Back