KY Derby - Any Horseracing Fans?

MphsBlues

Got a favorite? Post position draws at around 5:30 today. Hard to look past American Pharoah, depending on the position. I also like the longshot Danzig Moon.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't call myself a fan but my girlfriend is a UK grad so she tells me about how much fun it is. We're throwing a Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. Got all my fancy clothes at the thrift store yesterday for a whopping $11 lol. I'm more excited about the daytime bourbon consumption than the race I guess haha

Carpe Diem for the win. Frosted as a dark horse

I'll have a look :hi: I have to admit that the only races I've seen this year have been on replay, so I can't be considered that much of a fan, but it is my gambling addiction. Note: I say gambling addiction, but it's the one day per year that I actually gamble :)

I wouldn't call myself a fan but my girlfriend is a UK grad so she tells me about how much fun it is. We're throwing a Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. Got all my fancy clothes at the thrift store yesterday for a whopping $11 lol. I'm more excited about the daytime bourbon consumption than the race I guess haha

LOL. The production is half the fun, watching your exacta coming in is the other half :p

Ha I definitely just had to google exacta and ended up more confused than I started :crazy:

LOL. It's been my 'addiction' for years, but still confusing as hell to me. The first race I bet on, I went to the betting window and said something like 'I want to box American Angel and Buttercross in a exacta' thinking I knew what I was doing. The girl looked at me like I was the dumbest SOB on the planet and said 'Racetrack, race number and horse number.' I walked away like I really was the biggest dumbass ever. I came back, gave her the correct info and won. Hooked ever since - well, at least once a year.
The good news is, in the Derby, you can win some major cash on a 2 buck bet.

Give, if paramutuel betting isn't available to you, I have an idea for your party: Have everyone kick in a dollar and pick an exacta box (any two horses on the field in either order. As a bonus, throw in a fifth of kentucky bourbon. On the off-chance someone picks the top two, there's a celebration - if not, you keep the bourbon. Win-win, IMO.

Give, if paramutuel betting isn't available to you, I have an idea for your party: Have everyone kick in a dollar and pick an exacta box (any two horses on the field in either order. As a bonus, throw in a fifth of kentucky bourbon. On the off-chance someone picks the top two, there's a celebration - if not, you keep the bourbon. Win-win, IMO.

That's a great idea. So to make sure I have it right, do i pick two horses (one to finish first and the other second) or do I just pick two and hope that they finish first and second regardless of order?

Also, what happens to the money if no one wins? Does the "racetrack" keep it? :birgits_giggle:

I'll have a look :hi: I have to admit that the only races I've seen this year have been on replay, so I can't be considered that much of a fan, but it is my gambling addiction. Note: I say gambling addiction, but it's the one day per year that I actually gamble :)

Well forget Carpe Diem, he got a terrible draw.

I like American Pharoah as well. I don't really follow horse racing except during triple crown season, but grew up watching those 3 races every year.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get my parents tickets to the derby for their Christmas present this past December (something my sis and I have been wanting to do for a long time) so I'm especially excited about this year and to hear how the experience is in person. I'll post some pics on here if they send me some.

I'll be at work Friday & Saturday night but have the Oaks and Derby set to record.

That's a great idea. So to make sure I have it right, do i pick two horses (one to finish first and the other second) or do I just pick two and hope that they finish first and second regardless of order?

Also, what happens to the money if no one wins? Does the "racetrack" keep it? :birgits_giggle:

LOL, you can do it however you like, or just make it free and the bourbon is the prize. But to give people a fighting chance, you might want to let them do box exactas (pick any two horses and whether they come in first or second, they win) In other words, you like the 2 horse and 15 horse. Whether it come in 2,15 or 15,2 you still win, but they have to be the first two horses that cross the line without penalty. you can even do three horse boxes. pick three and if any two of them cross first AND second, you win. It's harder than it looks on paper, though.
If you want to spice it up, get everyone to pitch in a few bucks and find the first paramutuel betting facility and box quite a few of them in a trifecta (first three horses in any order) You win, everyone splits it. The 'tri' can be a rich payout in the Derby.
Hint: don't pick the rail horse or the 20 - I don't think the 1 or the 20 has ever won, but I could be wrong..

No he drew the 2 spot. Starting on the inside is death. The outside actually isn't that bad, as long as you don't get caught wide on the first turn.

Exactly - too easy to get gassed. Also gonna catch a lot of dirt in the face, sans a fabulous start..

I like American Pharoah as well. I don't really follow horse racing except during triple crown season, but grew up watching those 3 races every year.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get my parents tickets to the derby for their Christmas present this past December (something my sis and I have been wanting to do for a long time) so I'm especially excited about this year and to hear how the experience is in person. I'll post some pics on here if they send me some.

I'll be at work Friday & Saturday night but have the Oaks and Derby set to record.

That's a hell of a nice gift. It's a dream of mine to go. I'd love to see pics if you get them.

LOL, you can do it however you like, or just make it free and the bourbon is the prize. But to give people a fighting chance, you might want to let them do box exactas (pick any two horses and whether they come in first or second, they win) In other words, you like the 2 horse and 15 horse. Whether it come in 2,15 or 15,2 you still win, but they have to be the first two horses that cross the line without penalty. you can even do three horse boxes. pick three and if any two of them cross first AND second, you win. It's harder than it looks on paper, though.
If you want to spice it up, get everyone to pitch in a few bucks and find the first paramutuel betting facility and box quite a few of them in a trifecta (first three horses in any order) You win, everyone splits it. The 'tri' can be a rich payout in the Derby.
Hint: don't pick the rail horse or the 20 - I don't think the 1 or the 20 has ever won, but I could be wrong..

Thanks for the "explain it like i'm 5" info. I obviously need it lol. I will probably look like a long time vet though if I can spout this off on Saturday!

Thanks for the "explain it like i'm 5" info. I obviously need it lol. I will probably look like a long time vet though if I can spout this off on Saturday!

Ha, ha. I hope you know (I'm sure you do) that I wasn't trying to talk down to you, but it can be confusing. But it doesn't have to be. You can just type up the 'ground rules' and hand it out to everyone early in the party. 'Enter if you like, don't if you don't.' Heck, I'll do it for you if you like, but I guarantee you that your guests interest in the actual race will be ten times if there isn't some kind of prize at stake :) In fact, I'd love to see a pic of the winner. They'll think the retirement train just came in if they win, even if it's only 15 bucks.
As for the 'ground rules' the KISS method is best.
1. You get to pick two, and ONLY two horses.
2. If the two horses that you pick cross the finish line in first and second place in either order in the official results, you win.
3. If more than one person wins, the pot will be divided equally and a drawing for the bourbon will then decide which 'winner' gets the bottle.
4. If there is no winner, the pot and the bourbon will be given to whomever the winner is in a drawing comprised of all who entered the contest.

Pretty simple, I think. But wait for any official review of the race to be finalized in case of DQ.
Note: that would technically be illegal to do in TN and I don't know about GA, but seriously, who cares? lol. If someone accused me of that, I'd go to the station myself and say 'Arrest me, I had a derby party and had drawing at the door where entrants put in a dollar a piece to win the door prize.' They would laugh me out of the station.

Anyway, it's just an idea that popped into my head:)

I'm liking my longshot even better. Danzig Moon drew the 5 spot. Danzig was one hell of a horse and he's the grandfather somewhere down the line.

Ha, ha. I hope you know (I'm sure you do) that I wasn't trying to talk down to you, but it can be confusing. But it doesn't have to be. You can just type up the 'ground rules' and hand it out to everyone early in the party. 'Enter if you like, don't if you don't.' Heck, I'll do it for you if you like, but I guarantee you that your guests interest in the actual race will be ten times if there isn't some kind of prize at stake :) In fact, I'd love to see a pic of the winner. They'll think the retirement train just came in if they win, even if it's only 15 bucks.
As for the 'ground rules' the KISS method is best.
1. You get to pick two, and ONLY two horses.
2. If the two horses that you pick cross the finish line in first and second place in either order in the official results, you win.
3. If more than one person wins, the pot will be divided equally and a drawing for the bourbon will then decide which 'winner' gets the bottle.
4. If there is no winner, the pot and the bourbon will be given to whomever the winner is in a drawing comprised of all who entered the contest.

Pretty simple, I think. But wait for any official review of the race to be finalized in case of DQ.
Note: that would technically be illegal to do in TN and I don't know about GA, but seriously, who cares? lol. If someone accused me of that, I'd go to the station myself and say 'Arrest me, I had a derby party and had drawing at the door where entrants put in a dollar a piece to win the door prize.' They would laugh me out of the station.

Anyway, it's just an idea that popped into my head:)

Not at all! I genuinely appreciate this. I'm going to send those exact rules out to the facebook group tonight so they can come prepared! I was planning on doing something like this but now I feel like I'm doing it right lol.

I will definitely get a picture of the winner and anything else interesting that might happen!

And I believe that it is technically illegal here also but come on! Surely they'd pass 20 things on the way more important than that. Hell there's even a Dunkin Donuts between me and the station :p

Not at all! I genuinely appreciate this. I'm going to send those exact rules out to the facebook group tonight so they can come prepared! I was planning on doing something like this but now I feel like I'm doing it right lol.

I will definitely get a picture of the winner and anything else interesting that might happen!

And I believe that it is technically illegal here also but come on! Surely they'd pass 20 things on the way more important than that. Hell there's even a Dunkin Donuts between me and the station :p

You're golden, broheim. It was just something that popped into my head. I would run with it myself, but me and several business associates always trek over to west memphis and drink all day and gamble.
Put me down for the 5 (Danzig Moon), 8 (Dortmund). Mine is a phantom entry (didn't pay the buck to enter.) and you should NOT copy it. If I pick a Derby horse, they are typically still running the next week to get to the finish line:)
The more I think about it, you should provide the field (entrants and post position draw AND odds and what color silks they are wearing.) Girls bet on names and colors. Guys bet on odds and post position, for the most part.. Not sexist, just a fact. You just watch - some chick will say 'I LOVE peach and green!'
I'll give you my info if you want to add me to the group to answer any questions. I'll help if I can.
*I think I hijacked my own thread :)

Last edited:
I'll pay your dollar and settle up with you in Knoxville sometime this year if you win!

And good point about the draw positions and colors. We did print out a sheet for each horse that says a little blurp about each horse and jockey. Does this link show the right colors? 2015 Kentucky Derby & Oaks | May 1 and 2, 2015 | Tickets, Events, News

This is really helpful. Thanks for letting me take over your thread with my ignorance of the whole thing lol!

I'll pay your dollar and settle up with you in Knoxville sometime this year if you win!

And good point about the draw positions and colors. We did print out a sheet for each horse that says a little blurp about each horse and jockey. Does this link show the right colors? 2015 Kentucky Derby & Oaks | May 1 and 2, 2015 | Tickets, Events, News

This is really helpful. Thanks for letting me take over your thread with my ignorance of the whole thing lol!

Brother, don't worry about the ignorance part. I've been going to the track once a year for 20 years and I feel like a total rookie. Besides, planning your party is actually more entertaining than people's random picks. FFS, I study the bloodline of the horse, Beyer, Dosage, breeding, trainer, jock, track preference and workouts before making my bet. I lose. My wife bets the first two digits of our damn phone number and wins...just like the chick that loves peach and green will..
As for the link, if you sent it out as a link, they can see the colors and click on each entrant, which does spell out the colors, etc. If you just print out the screen of the link you provided, it should be in color.

Thanks again for walking me through this, Memphis. Your ideas for the betting system are being well received by all! Getting more and more excited about it

VN Store

Back