The Unofficial 2014 U.S. Open (Tennis) Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Qualies are already underway. Rhyne plays tomorrow in the first round of them.

Nadal is out with a wrist injury.
Delpo is still out with a wrist injury.
Murray hasn't been the same since he won Wimby last year.
Djokovic hasn't been the same since he got married last month.
Stan hasn't been the same since he won this year's Aussie.
Federer is playing great tennis.
So are some younger guys.
This tournament is wide open.

Let the games begin.

I haven't really put together any thoughts on the Open yet. I guess the story going in is that Federer is a real contender for the title, so they say. As kid states, Nadal is out, Murray and Djokovic haven't had a stellar summer on the hardcourts, and Federer is playing well. Oh, and Federer got a really favorable draw today. So, it's all there for a run for the 33 year old.

I'm holding off on conceding Federer an 18th major. Look, he is 33 and prone to going off the reservation at this point in his career on any given day. He lost to Robredo last summer in New York if you'll recall. Despite making the final in Canada and winning Cincy, he had some rough patches at the start of both tournaments. Most worrisome was his inability to close out sets and matches.

However, he was in great form his last two matches in Cincinnati. If he keeps that form, he has a shot. I think he could possibly face Berdych, Dimitrov or Ferrer in the late stages. Then perhaps Djokovic, Murray or Tsonga, for example, in the final.

i"m perplexed by Nadal's injured wrist. I don't know much of anything about it. At first, I figured it was a sprain of some sort. Maybe he fell on it. Anyone know? Seems like a crazy injury.

Also, have to share that I got to see in person both Serena and Federer win their titles in Cincinnati on Sunday. Even better, I was behind the baseline and could really see the movement on Federer's strokes and serve as well as Serena's power.

Even betterer (sorry), I got a high five from Federer as he was walking to his car after the match. He'll probably never win another tennis match.

Reactions: 1 person
Hate to see Nadal and DelPo out with injuries. One great career and one career with potential both being greatly impacted by injuries

Also, have to share that I got to see in person both Serena and Federer win their titles in Cincinnati on Sunday. Even better, I was behind the baseline and could really see the movement on Federer's strokes and serve as well as Serena's power.

Even betterer (sorry), I got a high five from Federer as he was walking to his car after the match. He'll probably never win another tennis match.

Nice!

No. NO!

picard.jpg

Querrey a set apiece against a clay court guy, Gonzales, who hasn't played a match on a hardcourt in a year.

I think Steve Johnson will win tomorrow, but I'm over worrying about American dudes. There's a SOLID crop of 16 year olds coming up. American tennis will be fine. It just isn't now. Oh well. I honestly don't care.

Just watched the Querrey replay. He won't advance much further.

Typical Querrey. He just gets through what rounds he can and tries to bank what he can. I'm sure he'd like to make the elite level, but I don't think it's forthcoming.

On another note, these guys better keep themselves hydrated and make sure they are bringing enough sodium into their system. Bags cramped, retired. I think Dodic, the same. I only bring up the guys because the heat rule isn't into effect for them, unlike the girls.

I was wrong about the last one. Docic was a female player. It was Dodig that also retired over cramps. These guys need to drink the old school elixir of pickle juice before each match-something..

Djokovic has found his hard-court game this week. Not good for the rest of the field. He does whatever he wants with the ball off his racquet. Looks very impressive early.

Top half of draw is stacked. Tsonga-Murray today should be good. I pick Tsonga in 4. He is playing very well this summer.

Didn't see the Federer match, but actually listened to the first set on ESPN radio. Lost the first ten points to start match. Obviously got it turned around with three breadsticks after rain delay.

Everything going as expected so far except Ferrer, but no one really cares.

Interested to see if Djokovic's level drops any before the inevitable final. He looks unbeatable so far.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've got to hand it to Vica. That, was whithout a doubt, the worst post-match interview in the history of tennis. Congrats, Vica. Oh, and NEVER - and I mean EVER sing again in post match interview.

Top half of draw is stacked. Tsonga-Murray today should be good. I pick Tsonga in 4. He is playing very well this summer.

Didn't see the Federer match, but actually listened to the first set on ESPN radio. Lost the first ten points to start match. Obviously got it turned around with three breadsticks after rain delay.

Everything going as expected so far except Ferrer, but no one really cares.

Interested to see if Djokovic's level drops any before the inevitable final. He looks unbeatable so far.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Fed drops a set and then serves up three breadsticks. That's nuts.

Fed drops a set and then serves up three breadsticks. That's nuts.

It may be as simple as what he said in his post-match interview. When the match started, it was really windy. After the rain delay, he said there was absolutely no wind whatsoever. Still doesn't make any sense for Granola to take him to the woodshed that first set.

I've got to hand it to Vica. That, was whithout a doubt, the worst post-match interview in the history of tennis. Congrats, Vica. Oh, and NEVER - and I mean EVER sing again in post match interview.

Ha! I was actually in another room when I heard her singing and had to come watch to see what the hell was going on. The closer I got to the tv, the worse it sounded.

I guess that kinda confirms that she and Monfils are a thang. Or were before she embarrassed herself and Gael with that voice.

This Dimitrov-Monfils match is really something.

Late in second set, Monfils got mad about something and just gave up on a Dimitrov service game. He walked up to service line, stood there, and just batted the serve back over the net. He walked off conceding the point. You think it is the usual Monfils inexplicable breakdown, but, no. He starts playing hard and wins second set tie-breaker.

Now, Dimitrov's Nikes just came apart on him and he had to take a break mid service game to change his shoes.

I keep waiting for the 'fan man' from the Riddick Bowe-Holyfield fight to land on center court.

VN Store

Back