The UNOFFICIAL 2014 Wimby Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Starts in three days, analysis to come.

Wimbledon_Centre_Court_2009.jpg

The homeland title defense on the men's side. Does Murray have a chance to repeat now that he has the monkey off his back?

Tennis died in the 90s.

Some of the greatest tennis that's ever been played has taken place since the mid-2000s. Two of the greatest players of all time, if not THE two greatest in history, are still playing right now.

Federer and Nadal would eat any other era tennis great alive. If you've somehow missed this era in tennis, it is your loss as a sports fan. I don't say that in a rude manner. It's just that you've missed out on what is arguably the sport's golden era.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Some of the greatest tennis that's ever been played has taken place since the mid-2000s. Two of the greatest players of all time, if not THE two greatest in history, are still playing right now.

Federer and Nadal would eat any other era tennis great alive. If you've somehow missed this era in tennis, it is your loss as a sports fan. I don't say that in a rude manner. It's just that you've missed out on what is arguably the sport's golden era.

All of this is true.

Draws are out: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf

If Federer doesn't win this tournament he's never winning a major. His draw is VERY favorable. I don't know how they did these draws, but there's no balance whatsoever between the quadrants. Nadal's draw is BRUTAL. Federer's is exceedingly favorable. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it to the semis. And from there, if Rafa is out of the draw, anything can happen.

Serena got screwed too. She has Sharapova and Bouchard in her quadrant. Brutal.

I don't see any reason why Grigor Dimitrov can't make it into the semis. I think this is a breakout tournament for him.

Federer's draw. Wow. I mean, just wow.

Federer and Nadal would eat any other era tennis great alive.
Gotta wonder about the difference in racquet and string tech, nutrition and training and the balancing of the court speed would make with past greats. Imagine Borg with access to today's technology at age 18. Frightening.

Tennis died in the 90s.

Tennis itself did not; however, to meet you half-way, American tennis died in the 90s. All except the Williams' sisters, but they've always been up and down and are in the twilight of their careers now.

The homeland title defense on the men's side. Does Murray have a chance to repeat now that he has the monkey off his back?

Sorry to be the unnecessarily tangential information guy, but if Murray's native Scotland goes the way most are projecting it to go, he won't be experiencing any home crowd advantage at Wimbledon any longer.

I know it's the most historic/significant tournament in tennis, but Wimbledon is my least favorite major. I just don't think it's nearly as colorful as the other tournaments (quite literally as well, seeing as to how everyone wears white), and by the second week, center court looks like my yard during mid-summer - brown and torn-up. At least there's still no weeds though.

Just as a side note, I'd say the Aussie is my favorite, which is weird considering it's often thought of as the most insignificant. Just something about it. I think it's the most colorful, and I love the opposition it establishes between my midnight viewing with temps of 20 degrees outside and its sunny 70s-100s.

Draws are out: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf

If Federer doesn't win this tournament he's never winning a major. His draw is VERY favorable.

Federer's draw. Wow. I mean, just wow.

Ha ha. Exactly right. To be honest, Federer has struggled at Wimbledon the past few years -- even in 2012 when he won. Blame that on an injured back, but last year there are no excuses.

This draw is heaven sent for him especially in light of the others' draws. Benneteau is a possible second rounder who always gives Federer trouble. Benneteau hasn't had a spectacular season so he shouldn't be trouble this time, but you never know.

I would be surprised if Nadal made it to the semis simply because of his recent form, especially on grass. I didn't get to see the French final, but understand both players were not at their best physically by the end. The marquee matchup for Nadal in the 2nd round is Rosol if they both make it. No repeat of 2012(?) I see Nadal in straights just on revenge factor alone. If Nadal wins W with this draw, then hats off to him. He's not human anyway.

That's as far as I've looked in the draw. Can't wait to see the pristine grass on Monday. Hope the ol' man from Switzerland has one more good run in him. He's not my pick for the record.

My earlier post proves my tennis idiocy. Is this the tourney that was crazy hot last year? Are there any rising American men players? I've loosely paid attention to Roddick and Blake.

Verdasco is the first seeded player to lose.

Well, first seeded male player. Sloane Stephens and all.

Verdasco's level has dropped off noticeably. He is 30 and ancient in tennis years.

Donald Young sent packing in first round. I only mention this because Chris Evert picked him as her sleeper for the tournament.

To sum up my predictions, I see Djokovic as the favorite and Murray as second favorite. Then, depending on if they make it through the first few rounds, Nadal third, and Federer fourth.

As someone else mentioned, if Federer makes it through without having to lose to Nadal in the semi, he has a shot to win the thing. Unlikely, but he has a shot.

Beyond those guys, who knows.

I like Grigor to make a run. Fel Lopez is in good form. I think Marin Cilic could do some damage. I'm always bullish on Kei Nishikori if he can just stay healthy.

Maybe I'll do a full-on draw analysis after the first round is over. It makes it a bit more manageable looking at 64 rather than 128.

My ultimate prediction, though, is that Djokovic will win the tournament. And I actually feel pretty confident in that one. He's been the best player in the game the last 18 months with no majors to show for it. That run is coming to an end.

Denis Kudla and Jack Sock play today and have very winnable matches.

Ryan Harrison just isn't any good.

Gulbis ousted by last year's Fed-killer Stakhovsky.

Murray is looking in form.

Nadal looked like a new born deer taking its first steps yesterday. Other dude was ballin' then realized he had a set lead on Rafa and imploded. Look for Rafa to get stronger the longer he sticks around. Inevitable.

Fed cruised, Benneteau gone.

Have to say that Wimbledon.com seriously needs to upgrade it's player pics at least on the real-time scoring app. Those pics have to be 4 years old.

VN Store

Back