Unofficial 114th US Open Thread from Pinehurst Thread

volfanbill

pack light and love heavy…
Wanted to get some more love for this event. Such a big sports day, but this is what I'm most amped for.

Surprised to see the course so soft today. Was nothing like this on Monday.

Mickelson. I don't even care for him that much, but I gotta say he deserves a career slam.

I've got nothing against Phil and wouldn't mind seeing him win it. There's a lot of golfers out there I'd be perfectly fine with taking this tourney. Either Johnson, Furyk, Els, Mick, Kuchar, Sneds, and of course I've always been a Justin Leonard fan, however at this point, Leonard winning is just a pipe dream.

Pulling for Bubba to keep it in the US.

Hope Rory wins it if it has to go to an outsider.

Could care less about Lefty and his pursuit of an Open Championship. He's like the Cubs to me.

Will also add Bubba, Spieth, Rickie (way nicer and more humble guy than anyone realizes) or let's go crazy and say Boo.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stricker win, but I don't see it happen.

FWIW, it was overcast and considerably cooler here this morning than it's been in at least two weeks. Also, as mentioned, there was considerable cloud cover. The sun (as you can see on TV) is back out and the temps are climbing back into the 90s. There's good chances of rain each evening all the way through Sunday. Those storms will not only water the course, but keep the temps down for a considerable amount of time. The USGA may lose the battle to Mother Nature, thus making lower scores possible. I'm not talking about -15 for the tourney, but -2 to -3 each round is easily possible. Unless they just go bat**** crazy with holos of course. There's only so many realistic places for hole locations on #2 though.

No, but Pinehurst is just on the other side of Fort Bragg. I went to the practice round Monday and there's a chance I'll be there Sunday. Honestly though, I don't really want to fight the crowd for Sunday, I'd rather just watch on my TV and see all the action.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stricker win, but I don't see it happen.

FWIW, it was overcast and considerably cooler here this morning than it's been in at least two weeks. Also, as mentioned, there was considerable cloud cover. The sun (as you can see on TV) is back out and the temps are climbing back into the 90s. There's good chances of rain each evening all the way through Sunday. Those storms will not only water the course, but keep the temps down for a considerable amount of time. The USGA may lose the battle to Mother Nature, thus making lower scores possible. I'm not talking about -15 for the tourney, but -2 to -3 each round is easily possible. Unless they just go bat**** crazy with holos of course. There's only so many realistic places for hole locations on #2 though.
Watching the replay now. The greens definitely look receptive for an Open.

Head groundskeeper should be stoned. What a freakin joke of a course for a major.

At least get mad at the right people- Coore and Crenshaw. Don't think the greenskeeper had much of a say in the setup.

Also, this isn't close to the joke that congressional was. That was not a US Open test.

At least get mad at the right people- Coore and Crenshaw. Don't think the greenskeeper had much of a say in the setup.

Also, this isn't close to the joke that congressional was. That was not a US Open test.

I'm digging the setup, except I know wonder how many of those "natural grass" pieces are just that. The McDowell video I posted in the Golf Thread where he picked up a clump of weeds as a loose impediment is kind of da**ing to the course setup yet no one is making a big deal of it.

They wanted Pinehurst to be back to what it was. I don't even see how the set up is all that different from Whistling Straits.

I think BC is just mad because it's not set up for his 425 yard drives on his "keep it in play swing"

I'm digging the setup, except I know wonder how many of those "natural grass" pieces are just that. The McDowell video I posted in the Golf Thread where he picked up a clump of weeds as a loose impediment is kind of da**ing to the course setup yet no one is making a big deal of it.

They wanted Pinehurst to be back to what it was. I don't even see how the set up is all that different from Whistling Straits.

I think BC is just mad because it's not set up for his 425 yard drives on his "keep it in play swing"
I suspect the weather is causing it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the setup. It appeared difficult but playable. I like seeing a variety of shots out of the rough other than just gouging it back into the fairway. It's more like actual golf.

I love to putt from off the green. Saw pros make the same mistakes today my buddies make. They chunk or skull and put a big score in play, while I putt when possible and usually have a decent look at up and down. Surprised to see such bad chips, chunks and bad putts with hybrids as well. Rose almost double hit an into the grain chip today.

Ken Duke just made the most creative up and down that I've ever seen on 9. That was genius.

Kaymer at 9 under; 7 ahead of the nearest competitor. Good for him but I hate it when someone runs away with this tournament. Kinda ruins the painful fun of watching those in contention struggle through the last day.

VN Store

Back