The Unofficial 2014 French Open Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
I know it's a week away, but I couldn't help myself. Djokovic takes out Nadal in Rome finals. Who's excited for the real deal?

I'm past ready for the next group of elite US men. Watching Murray break through was okay but I'm afraid we're losing another generation of players if we can't generate some grand slam champions.

Fed has a new racquet. Hope springs eternal for young men and tennis players with suspect backhands...

There are two story lines of note heading into the start of the French Open over the weekend.

One. Do Rafael Nadal's struggles this season, even on the red clay of Europe, follow him to Paris? He has been vulnerable even on clay and has lost to tennis light weights. He has been challenged by Simon and Youzney on clay. Nishikori beat him unmercifully in Madrid final before injuring his back and retiring. No such luck against Djoker who simply ran over Nadal in the third set of the Rome final last week. Rafa is vulnerable, but this is Paris and this is the French Open. Surely, the Rafa we know and love will show up in Paris.

Two. Second story line involves whether Djoker can win his first French Open and complete the career grand slam. He is coming off a wrist injury that kept him off the circuit for several weeks. He looked good in Rome, but just how healthy is he. And, no matter how healthy, can he actually beat Nadal if they meet in the final this year?

Everyone else of note is either injured or old or just not worthy of discussion. That doesn't mean this won't be an epic French Open.

I predict at least one close call for Nadal before the final, but he grinds his way through once again. Novak Djokovic will be there waiting. It is potentially a slam final for the ages.

I love Nadal. Y'all know I love Nadal. But this is Djoker's tournament. Rafa will not win his 9th French this year.

I'll write up more substantive analysis for the tournament in a day or two. Today is the last day of qualies, and then....let the games begin.

I'm so excited I feel like dancing.

serenawalk.gif

Okay, I'm going to make a list of the players who I think have at least a reasonable chance of winning the tournament. Anybody else who wants to play along, feel free to do so.

In descending order of likelihood.

Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Kei Nishikori
Stan Wawrinka
Roger Federer
Grigor Dimitrov
Ernest Gulbis
Marin Cilic
Tsonga
Alex Dolgopolov

I don't think Murray or Berdych or Ferrer have any reasonable chance of winning. Murray blows on clay. I think the ship has sailed on Berdych ever winning a grand slam. And I don't think Ferrer was ever good enough to win a major. He's Michael Chang with a bit less talent.

Raonic looked pretty good against Djokovic in the Rome semi. I am not sure he could take out the top players in a five set match.

Nishikori ended up in Djokovic's quarter if I recall. He plays well against the top players but seems to get put out early in majors. Plus that back injury in Madrid looked like a bad one.

Murray also has back issues (recent surgery) but looked good against Nadal in Rome. I think he could meet Rafa in semi.

T Berd shows up for about every 6th major. Don't know where the count stands right now.

Dimitrov looked pitiful against Rome but looked really good up until then. He's still not ready for prime time.

Federer has a doable quarter. He'll do well to make it there. And then move on to grass without injury. The only good thing is that if he were to get to the semis, he wouldn't have to take another ass-kicking from Nadal. It would be Djoker dishing it out.

Rafa may face Theim or Thiem in the second round. This dude is a baller and I look for a good effort from him.

Kidb: how you feeling about Nadal's mindset/health/game/career right now? Something seems different with him. Like he's out of gas or lost focus. I'm sure Paris is just the elixir his game needs, but he just hasn't been clicking.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Raonic looked pretty good against Djokovic in the Rome semi. I am not sure he could take out the top players in a five set match.

Nishikori ended up in Djokovic's quarter if I recall. He plays well against the top players but seems to get put out early in majors. Plus that back injury in Madrid looked like a bad one.

Murray also has back issues (recent surgery) but looked good against Nadal in Rome. I think he could meet Rafa in semi.

T Berd shows up for about every 6th major. Don't know where the count stands right now.

Dimitrov looked pitiful against Rome but looked really good up until then. He's still not ready for prime time.

Federer has a doable quarter. He'll do well to make it there. And then move on to grass without injury. The only good thing is that if he were to get to the semis, he wouldn't have to take another ass-kicking from Nadal. It would be Djoker dishing it out.

Rafa may face Theim or Thiem in the second round. This dude is a baller and I look for a good effort from him.

Kidb: how you feeling about Nadal's mindset/health/game/career right now? Something seems different with him. Like he's out of gas or lost focus. I'm sure Paris is just the elixir his game needs, but he just hasn't been clicking.

Thiem is my boy. He's not yet ready for Rafa on clay, but he's for real.

I'm thinking he could be starting the inevitable decline. We all knew Rafa wasn't built for longevity.

To call Stan's play since the AO inconsistent is being charitable. Didn't expect a deep run here, but first round is shocking.

Nishikori also flamed out today in straights. Not surprising with that back injury.

Rafa and Djoker both looked solid. Glad the weather didn't play any more havoc than it did.

Noticed that Serena, Maria and Venus are all in the same quarter of the draw. Damn.

To call Stan's play since the AO inconsistent is being charitable. Didn't expect a deep run here, but first round is shocking.

Nishikori also flamed out today in straights. Not surprising with that back injury.

Rafa and Djoker both looked solid. Glad the weather didn't play any more havoc than it did.

Noticed that Serena, Maria and Venus are all in the same quarter of the draw. Damn.

I didn't see the Stan loss coming either.

Madison Keys is Madison Keys' largest foe. Considering she's playing top 10 Errani, that's saying something. It's a shame. should be much much closer.

Impressive grinding by Steve Johnson.

He lost the first set 4-6.
He was down in the second set 1-5, 15-40, brought it back to a tiebreaker, but lost the tiebreaker 7-9.
He was down 2-5, 30-40 in the third set, brought it back to a tiebreaker and won the tiebreaker.
He won the fourth set 6-3.
He is up 3-1 in the fifth set, with Lokoli serving.

Match was called for darkness

VN Store

Back